Victory in June (4-day) or August (5-day) 2008?

steel123

I'm looking for some opinions. Last year we had to cancel our Canadian cruise on the Victory. Since I found out the Victory won't be sailing this route anymore, I was thinking about booking the cruise this year, before the Triumph takes over.

With our schedules, we can go on either a June 4-day or August 5-day sailing. It's less money for the June sailing, but only stops at one port. We are taking a cruise in April on the Triumph, so I'm wondering if June is too close, however, the price is more affordable. The August trip stops at both Canadain ports, but is quite a bit more money. Is it worth paying more money for the 2 ports? Is it worth it to go in August because the temperatures might be better?:)

I'm looking for some opinions. Last year we had to cancel our Canadian cruise on the Victory. Since I found out the Victory won't be sailing this route anymore, I was thinking about booking the cruise this year, before the Triumph takes over.

With our schedules, we can go on either a June 4-day or August 5-day sailing. It's less money for the June sailing, but only stops at one port. We are taking a cruise in April on the Triumph, so I'm wondering if June is too close, however, the price is more affordable. The August trip stops at both Canadain ports, but is quite a bit more money. Is it worth paying more money for the 2 ports? Is it worth it to go in August because the temperatures might be better?:)

Assuming that you can afford either cruise, I would always take the longer cruise!

Hi steel123 - I remember you from some of last year's Victory postings! We've cruised on Victory at the end of June (once) and in August (twice) and we're booked for August again this summer; I can't say the weather was appreciably better on any of these cruises. The temperature (and the fog) varies from day to day, let alone week to week. While I enjoyed our 4-day cruise, I'd go with the 5-day if it works for you. Saint John is a nice port, but Halifax has a lot to do in a short walking distance of the pier - it's a lot of fun.

Thank you both for your opinions. I agree longer is always better, but we have a 7-day cruise planned for April, so I'm not sure if it's feasible to do the 5-day route this year.

nybumpkin, I appreciate your first-hand experience. Was it warmer in August? The average temperatures in June are supposed to be 63 degrees, while August is supposed to be 79 degrees.

Right now, we're leaning towards August, so we've put a deposit on the 4-day itinerary (this is a compromise), I was so disappointed we had to cancel last year's cruise--We ended up taking another cruise and meeting up with relatives, instead. The prices seem higher this year for this route, too. I'm thinking if the price drops, we may be able to take the 5-day instead.

Any other advice is appreciated.:)

If Saint John is the port offered on the 4 day, go with the 5 day. It's a nice stop, but I was a bit disappointed it being the only one. I prefer Halifax.

When Halifax was the one stop on the 4 day, it was worth it.

Mr Pete, Thanks for your input. What did you do in Halifax? I think we're going to have to re-evalutate this cruise. I was hoping the Bay of Fundy/reversing falls would be a good excursion for the kids (13 & 11 yr old boys). I remember when Halifax was the only stop, too.:)

One time, we did Peggy's Cove and the museum where they had the Titanic memorabilia

Another time, we walked the city, the river walk, and up to the Citadel. We had a great day, yet it was mid September on both stops, with no fog.

Last years cruise in July, we hit fog up and down, but had a brilliant day in Saint John.

DSC02014.jpg

nybumpkin, I appreciate your first-hand experience. Was it warmer in August? The average temperatures in June are supposed to be 63 degrees, while August is supposed to be 79 degrees.

I would say that our August 11 cruise was the warmest overall of our three Victory cruises. However, our warmest day ashore of the three cruises was on our first cruise - July 1 in Halifax. It was about 80 degrees. Of course, the day before in Saint John I think it barely reached 60. It's really variable.

I appreciated all the advice from those of you that have already sailed this route.

Mr. Pete--Thanks for the pic! It's hard to imagine all the fog that can be out there, since we've only cruised from Florida. Halifax does sound great! I'm just trying to see if we have more flexibility with our dates to move the trip around. Unfortunately, we have to work around summer camps and a lack of vaction days available.

nybumpkin--Your first-hand experience with the weather is very helpful. It's great that you have been on this cruise a few times, too! It does sound like the weather can go either way, and it doesn't seem to matter what month! Since we were supposed to be on the 5 day August 11th cruise last year, it's interesting to hear the weather conditions you had.

Right now, we're booked around the same time in August. One of the 5 day trips in July my work for us, so I'm going to research that month, too.

Thanks, again!:)

I have another question. We live fairly close to this port. For those of you that have gone more than once on this route, if we can't switch this 4-day cruise, we may try to do the 5-day cruise at a later date. Do you think it's worth repeating this cruise since we live close-by?:)

Archived