Tips from our recent cruise

Califonria cruiser

We were on Crown Princess with our 4 year and 5 year old cousin and this is a cut and paste fo our review.

Tips for kids on the cruise: no alarm clock, bring your own, bring a small nightlight, bring ziplock bags in all sizes some for your liquids, some for snack items and others for wet clothing, beach wear, bring water shoes or shoes that can get wet, they provide lotion, soap, separate shampoo and conditioner, hairdryers, bring a few dryer sheets if you plan to do laundry since they are lightweight and can get your static cling out, thought it was easier to buy detergent, they have irons on board, bring a bag to put your wet stuff in each day like sand toys, etc. I always bring them on the trip and then on the last island we give them away to some family. In the dining room they provided a few crayons and a coloring page which was the menu (same one every night) so bring a coloring book if you want, had children’s movies often during the day in the Movie Under the Stars and also always in your stateroom so no need for a portable DVD player unless you need it for travel or dinner. Bring snacks for your child so you don’t have to find them on the island. Some people brought food off board like bagels, cereal, donuts, crossaints, etc. I know you aren’t supposed to, but it seems very common with little kids. Try the pizza if you like thing crust, thought it was great. Try viewing the stars one night when it looks clear, best to use a deck chair and lay back for a while, you will be amazed how many you see. The kids pool is small and shallow like 1-2 feet deep and mostly in the shade but when the boat rocked, it sloshed about jumping waves that my 4 year old could jump over all day. Sometimes the kids pool was closed. It had something to do with pulling in fresh water and they have to be so far out to do it. You can also ride tricycles. Don’t forget ordering room service is free for breakfast and you can put the order card outside and get it delivered. That works great if you have a child sleeping, but you are ready to eat. Kids Club is only open between 8-5 on port days no matter what time you dock, etc so keep it in mind. On other days, 9-noon, 2-5 and 7-10 are all free as well as the 8-5 in port (sign up ahead of time). From 10-1am it is $5 per child per hour and you need to sign up ahead of time. Bringing a stroller was very helpful for us, the long lines when we embarked would have been difficult without it. My 4 year old also fell asleep a few times and I transferred her to the stroller and then took her around to shows and dinner. Although at home I rarely use a stroller I take one of most of the trips for helping with luggage and letting her sleep at the odd hours in the airport. We have a Maclaren Volo and it folded up and went underneath our beds.

Thanks for the great tips. We are going on the Crown Princess in the fall with our two daughters and will definitely use some of the tips. A couple of questions ...

1. How were the kids programs and people who work there??

2. What type of cabin did you have?? Was it enough room?

Thanks again.

I think it is partially the staff who make it fun. We liked everyone there and seemed to be a good ratio. They had loosely structured activities most of the time and then some do what you want time.

As for the rooms, there is decent storage but unless you get a more expensive room space is at a premium. Last year when we went we had 2 kids, 2 carseats, 1 stroller and it all fit in the room, but I asked our steward to remove one of the chairs and this little round coffee table.

It is likely you will have 2 lower bunk bed type things and then the 2 bunkbeds will come down at night. You can store quite a bit under the bed and there are many shelves and some drawers. Most of the stuff we hung up. Easy for us to find. Ask for steward for more hangers.

Have fun, it's a great ship.

Jenn

Bringing a stroller was very helpful for us, the long lines when we embarked would have been difficult without it. My 4 year old also fell asleep a few times and I transferred her to the stroller and then took her around to shows and dinner. Although at home I rarely use a stroller I take one of most of the trips for helping with luggage and letting her sleep at the odd hours in the airport. We have a Maclaren Volo and it folded up and went underneath our beds.

How close to 5 is your 4 yr old? Our daughter just turned 4, do you think a stroller would still be useful when we go in October? We don't use one at home very often.

I absolutely think it would be helpful. My 4 year old turns 5 next month, but her cousin who turned 5 in Sept was equally interested in riding in the stroller, particularly when we were waiting to check in which took well over an hour. The airport trip was made much easier with it since it was a long flight and she fell asleep and then we had to wait for the next flight. Two night she had a late nap while we were getting ready for dinner so we just rolled her into the dining room. I think the key is having a small umbrella type stroller.

Jenn

Archived