solo cruising question

First time cruising solo and on RCI and really looking forward to it. My queston is about dining. I have been given late dining which is fine by me but how do they seat solo people? If I don't fit in with my table mates can I ask to be moved? To be honest I'm sort of afraid to be the extra spoke in a wheel of 3 or 4 couples who may resent me at their table.

Thanks!

Winnie

If you don't like the tablemates, just ask the maitre d' and he'll move you. I really think you'll be okay though. I've never found anyone to be rude or snobbish. Everyone is there to have a good time and after the first few minutes you'll feel much better...I'm sure. Best wishes for a great cruise! :)

Hey Winnie! I cruise solo quite often and I've never been seated at a table with 3 or 4 couples. One time a sat with 2 guys that were friends and one couple. Great table! Another time they sat me with another women travelling alone and 2 female friends travelling together. Again fun table! Another time again I sat with a woman travelling alone and 4 guys on a bachelor party cruise. An absolute blast was had by all! :D :D :D

To be honest I could go on and on but they have all the info such as age range and sex and they tend to try to put like people together. I wouldn't worry....most likely you'll be at a table with friends travelling together or other solo cruisers. I've never had a bad table when travelling solo and I travel solo quite often as my friends don't cruise as often as I do. I did 10 cruises last year...5 solo and 5 with friends or family and some of my best tablemates that I had were on my solo cruises. Plus I always meet a ton of people on my solo cruises and keep in touch with alot of them still.

So long story short.........don't worry......you'll have a great time!!!:D :D :D

I cruised solo in December and was seated at a table for ten with only one other man showing up. We could not get to a great table until day 3. The maitre d' was not forthcoming about my tablemates at boarding, except to say the table was not full.

I sailed solo on Carnival in 1997. I had the same concerns as you did. I was told they try to pair you up at tables according to ages, others traveling alone, etc....

They must have been right. They seated me with a family of 4 w/ kids, family of 4 grown siblings, single man and me. Married the single guy 8 months later! Truly one of those love at first site kind of things and here we are 10 yrs later! Saw him walk through the dining room doors the very first night at dinner and w/o knowing he was headed to our table thought he was one very attractive man. Little did I know he'd turn my world upside down!

Morale of the story....be careful what "souvenir" you bring home from vacation!

I also have sailed solo several times....most times I have had wonderful tablemates, with a variety of couples and another solo or two....one time only one other solo woman showed, we were moved to another table on night two,....have always looked forward to the company of my tablemates.

They must have been right. They seated me with a family of 4 w/ kids, family of 4 grown siblings, single man and me. Married the single guy 8 months later! Truly one of those love at first site kind of things and here we are 10 yrs later! Saw him walk through the dining room doors the very first night at dinner and w/o knowing he was headed to our table thought he was one very attractive man. Little did I know he'd turn my world upside down!

One could only hope for your good fortune!

I too cruise solo, I went on a 10 day repositioning cruise to AK in Sept. I was seated with a family in celebrating their mother's bday. I was the youngest at the table, by about 20 years (I'm 22), I still had a great time with the people at my table. I'm also cruising to MX in 2 weeks, solo as well. I believe that if you want to be moved, it shouldn't be a problem. The Maitre' D is very hospitable on the Vision, and I'm sure it must be true throughout the fleet. And don't worry about being the 3rd, 4th, or 5th wheel... so to speak. Most of the couples I've met on board are just as outgoing as I am, making me feel more at ease!

I have cruised solo quite a few times and, for the most part, I have been seated with good tablemates. On onee cruise, however, I was seated at a table for 8 with a family reunion consisting of 7 people -- and me -- who was not part of that family. I quickly moved tables.

I have been seated with couples and I can't honestly say that I feel like a 5th wheel. I usually try to establish on the first evening that, although I am a solo traveller, I enjoy being single and I am not out looking for a man or to steal someone's husband. Things usually flow smoothly after that and we move on to enjoy each others' company.

Another solo cruiser, the only time there was ever an issue with my tablemates is on my 10 night Brilliance cruise when none of my tablemates showed up. The maitre'd was already looking for me a new table when the table next to me invited me to join them. Turned out to be some of my favorite tablemates ever.

If you aren't comfortable with your tablemates, talk to the maitre'd immediately and see what he can do.

One note, I always take late seating and ask for a large table. Except for the time above (which they quickly fixed), RCCL has been very good about seating me with other people close to my age.

Archived