Should I be concerned and check into it further?

PCCruiser05

My parents and I went on a cruise September 07 out of Tampa and after we returned my parents got a receipt for a cruise (with their name on it) that stated they went on a cruise July 07 and that it was out of New Orleans. My mother is in her 70's and doesn't always get the story straight but she said she called Carnival and they told her according to their records they had taken a cruise in July (they didn't). I've paid and done most of their paperwork so I'm surprised they sent the receipt to my parents address. I did get the PVP to add my parents address to our paperwork for the Tampa trip so they could receive info materials sent to their address but I never would have thought they would receive a reciept for a different trip.

Should I be concerned? Could this be identy theft? How would someone get on a boat without an ID and birth certificate I haven't received the receipt from my mother as of yet but she wanted me to fax it to a different PVP than the one I use so I'm not sure what's up.

Guess I need to go back to square one and work thru this thing but I wanted to ask had anyone else experienced getting incorrect paperwork. The other question I need to ask is did they get credit for the cruise so they are one cruise closer to being platunium.

:confused:

The first thing I would do if you are concerned about identity theft is pull a credit report on each of them from all three major credit bureaus. You can get one of each for free each year from annualcreditreport.com (I think is the right address). Make sure it is not one that makes you sign up for AAA or something like that.

I would definately be concerned. I wouldn't flyy off the handle or anything, but if they received a receipt for something they didn't purchase whether it is a cruise or a box of cereal, I would check into it! Identity theft is a real problem. One of our kids had that happen to them and it took a couple years to get everything straightened out! They made the mistake of throwing out old account paperwork from a closed checking account without shredding it and somebody had checks printed and started shopping! This caused him no end of grief! The best thing you can buy for your parents for a gift is a good shredder! Even junk mail does not leave my home without getting shredded! You just never know what can happen! If it turns out it was a simple clerical error, well, like you stated, they are one trip closer to platnum status! But then again, somebody else may be one trip down from that status too! I think that pulling the credit reports is a really good idea! They should also make sure they can account for every dime on their credit card and bank statements. Good luck to them!

Try going to Carnival.com and sign on as them and check their history to see if it is there. Or call a carnival phone number and ask to be sure it came from carnival not some one else.

Did they call the number on the receipt? If so does it match the number on the website or some other advertisement? This may be a "Phishing" deal to get there info for identity theft.

Yes I would check into this further.

Archived