Camera strap question

Ryffian

I'm looking for some means of attaching my camera to myself when I'm snorkeling. What's the best way to go? I'm thinking that a floating strap, while handy if I dropped it, would be a hinderance while using the camera. I seem to remember someone recommending a sort of coiled up cord that attaches shorter with a plastic connection that you can permanently attach to both the camera and a belt that will expand to use the camera but snap short to be out of the way when not in use ... if that makes sense. :rolleyes: Thanks for any sugestions!

I'm looking for some means of attaching my camera to myself when I'm snorkeling. What's the best way to go? I'm thinking that a floating strap, while handy if I dropped it, would be a hinderance while using the camera. I seem to remember someone recommending a sort of coiled up cord that attaches shorter with a plastic connection that you can permanently attach to both the camera and a belt that will expand to use the camera but snap short to be out of the way when not in use ... if that makes sense. :rolleyes: Thanks for any sugestions!

A wrist lanyard is best. If you go to your local dive shop you can get a safety lanyard. It streches if needed so you don't get caught

My wife and I use a standard neck strap, like the ones you see people carrying their ID and access cards for office buildings. At the end of it I attach a carabiner clip, which also clips to the camera housing. In my case, I needed to add a split ring to the camera case in order to have a spot big enough to attached the carabiner clip.

I use a wrist strap,neck strap and clippy with a d-ring. the d-ring goes on the strap for the vest and both straps. When you want to use it unclip the wrist strap and leave the neck strap clipped on. After wrist is secured unclip the neck strap. Reverse to smim.

Hi,

I use a wrist strap myself (both for my camera or my camera mounted to my tray, flash and flashlight). It's a cord fabric with a tightening ball. I keep it on my right hand since that's the side the shutter release button is on. While swimming I drop my arm along my side and fin to where I'm going. I've gone pretty fast with it and never had it come loose. I shy away from neck straps because of the obvious danger of choking of it becomes entangled, plus in an emergency if I had to release the camera it's much easier if on my wrist.

Randall

Hi,

I use a wrist strap myself (both for my camera or my camera mounted to my tray, flash and flashlight). It's a cord fabric with a tightening ball. I keep it on my right hand since that's the side the shutter release button is on. While swimming I drop my arm along my side and fin to where I'm going. I've gone pretty fast with it and never had it come loose. I shy away from neck straps because of the obvious danger of choking of it becomes entangled, plus in an emergency if I had to release the camera it's much easier if on my wrist.

Randall

I agree... the wrist lanyard would be good.. I personally would not use anything around the neck for fear of entanglement....

For scuba diving I do not use a strap. I attach the camera, tray, strobe, to my BCD with a coiled lanyard, like this:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUTCL.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3dlanyard%26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRelevance%26DescSort%3d0%26Hit%3d1

When not using the camera the two ends of the lanyard snap together, keeping the camera close and not dangling too much. When I'm actively diving looking for photo ops, I always have the camera in my hand. If I should accidently drop it, it's still attached to my BCD and can't go far. I pretty much only have the two ends of the lanyard connected going up or down.

For getting in and out of a dive boat I have a 10' length of braided nylon rope that I attached a brass clip to, much like what you see on the lanyard picture. I tie the rope off to the boat and attach my camera to the clip and gently lower it into the water. After I get in the water I swim to the camera, connect it to my BCD, then disconnect it from the rope. I just reverse the procedure when I return from the dive. You can also have the DM lower the camera to you using the rope. That way no one is about to lose their grip on it during transfer.

I'm not overly concerned about a neck strap while snorkeling.

Denny

This is another option, if you have a way to connect it to yourself:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AERBCR.html

I use this for diving, clipped off to my BCD.

I use one of those retractors for my console. However, I found that my camera gear is much too heavy and would always stretch out the retractor to its maximum if I let go of the camera. With the clip system I can clip the ends together and keep it fairly close to my body and free up my hands for other things, as need be..

The retractor works great on my console though.

So part of this thing expands or something? Does it have a thin cord like a retractable ID tag holder?

Hi,

They may vary... but I use one for my console and it has a spring loaded steel cable that connects to the clip.

Randall

What size/weight camera? I have the Olympus SW790 and bought one of these which attaches to your wrist and makes the camera float to the surface if it comes loose.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Floating-Strap-Stylus-720/dp/B000VHDBDK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1201398099&sr=8-1

Not sure if something like this would work for you or not.

What size/weight camera? I have the Olympus SW790 and bought one of these which attaches to your wrist and makes the camera float to the surface if it comes loose.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Floating-Strap-Stylus-720/dp/B000VHDBDK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1201398099&sr=8-1

Any ideal how much lead you have to put on to compensate for the extra bouyancy or is it too little to make a difference? This looks great but I carry a lot of weight already.

Randall

Ooh, very cool. I have an Olympus 770SW (I guess I should've stated that in my original post). You don't find that this wrist strap is too big and bulky? That would be my worry. Although a little bulk is a much better alternative to dropping and losing my camera!

Archived