is there anything to help with swimmers ear?

newt98

does anybody know how to avoid the pressure build up on your ears while snorkeling, and diving down? can ear plugs help? or are they safe? what are other options? i have heard about equalizing, but what is that procedure specifically? thanks

does anybody know how to avoid the pressure build up on your ears while snorkeling, and diving down? can ear plugs help? or are they safe? what are other options? i have heard about equalizing, but what is that procedure specifically? thanks

Swimmer's ear is actually an ear infection. What you are describing is a problem with pressure (as the second poster's link describes). Swallowing will help. Or pinch your nose closed, keep your mouth closed and gently try to exhale - this should equalize the pressure to. Just be very careful not to blow too hard as you can cause damage.

The pressure you feel is called ear squeeze, and as the previous reply mentioned pinching your nostrils closed and blow very gently. This is called the Valsalva technique. Start as you descend, before you begin to feel the pressure. Other techniques include swallowing, rolling your jaw from side to side. All the crazy things you do when your head is congested and you feel pressure while flying in a plane.

As a prevenititive measure, make sure your ears are clean and free of wax build up. My DW spent years laughing at me with my weekly regimen of ear drops to loosen the wax and keep the ear canal clean. Over 12 years in the water almost daily as a SCUBA Instructor and never 1 ear infection!

Do not use ear plugs as they can cause damage when diving down, you will be unable to equalize any of the pressure.

Enjoy your snorkeling!

Hi,

A couple other things to try... I start "clearing" my ears at least three days before I get into the water. The act of clearing your ears involves facial "muscles" and just like running or jogging, exercising them before you begin an activity allows them to loosen up and be more flexible. This doesn't mean popping them every five minutes but several times during the day, usually when I think about it, I'll pop my ears then let them relax for awhile. This really makes a difference when you're in the water.

Second, pop your ears before you get in the water. A lot of people start when they feel the "squeeze". I find that if I pop them on the surface, then several times in rapid succession as I decend through the first three-five feet really helps.

Third, if you're not on nitrox (there's studies out saying there may be interactions with nitrox and this medication), possibily look into a decongestant, like non-drowsy sudafed. These medicines help shrink surrounding sinuses giving more room for the tubes to move. Of course, if necessary, check with your doctor to make sure you can take any medication and I'm not a doctor so using this is your judgement. But if you do use it, I use the 12 hour pill and take it 3-4 hours before I get in the water. This gives it plenty of time to work and not wear off while in the water.

Anyway, some additional things to consider,

Randall

Archived