tour guides to ephesus

About to book with Ekol Travel for the Ephesus tour. They ask for arrival and departure times, ship details etc. Do they mean the arrival and departure times of the ship or do they want to know what times you wish to do your tour?:confused: Anyone done these tours? Which one should we do?

About to book with Ekol Travel for the Ephesus tour. They ask for arrival and departure times, ship details etc. Do they mean the arrival and departure times of the ship or do they want to know what times you wish to do your tour?:confused: Anyone done these tours? Which one should we do?

We used Ekol in Kusadasi (Ephesus) and Istanbul. Both were wonderful. They want the ship arrival and departure times. By email you can set up your tour time. In Kusadasi we did, Ephesus with the Terrace Houses, Artemis, Basilica of St.John and Virgin Mary House. Pretty full day but still had time to shop the market at the port.

We used Ekol for a full-day tour to Miletus, Didyma and Ephesus...It was outstanding...Note that you can actually have them customize the tour for you...

We thought the tour was excellent...

I think they want to know the hours in port so they can meet you at the dock and fit the tour into the hours you have and get you back to the ship on time...On a full day tour, they try to give you a full day...Our guide was waiting for us right at the dock with our name on a sign...

Hello margbem,

We are interested in sharing a tour of Ephesus with Ekol. The roll call for our sailing is not active. We are on the Splendour - May 10/08 sailing. Are you on the same ship?

We are not going until September (see post below) - I've only just learned how to answer within the same box!! Sorry!

Since the sites fill up very fast, I suggest you meet EKOL around 8:00AM. They suggest 8:00AM. When you leave the ship you will wind through a new, small shopping area. Towards the end is a glass door where you exit. All tour guides wait there.

I suggest you request Inan Akpinar. He is very knowledgeable, speaks excellent English and once worked for Princess Cruise Lines. EKOL also provided a separate driver and paid for admission when needed.

We used Ekol in October and they were excellent. Tuba was our guide and spoke great English, had been to the states alot and had a great personality and was the best guide of our 14 day trip. When we were at the House of Virgin Mary, Fevzi was there to make sure everything was going good with our tour. Very professionally run tour. Make sure you include the Terrace Houses! We were asked whether to go to the rug factory school....we decided to go and it was very interesting....even though they did try to sell you the rugs at the end. Enjoy! Wish I was on my way back there right now!

When we were at the House of Virgin Mary, Fevzi was there to make sure everything was going good with our tour.

Hi ! I have a question for you about the House of Virgin Mary - another poster said that you could take a small vial of holy water -- do you know if that is true ? I need to know because I will be there in Sept, and there are 3 people in my life who would NEVER forget it if I brought them holy water from the House of the Virgin Mary.

Thanks!!

Lisa

Well, we did something entirely different in Kusadasi! We booked with a private guide and went to the small hill village of Sirince, then to the Artemission (Temple of Diana), made a carpet shopping stop, and wound up at the ADA SARAY HAMAMI for a genuine Turkish bath! It was an amazing experience!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

I am interested in booking a private tour with Ekol but are somewhat hesitant as we are two females travelling without our husbands. Should we be concerned enough to stick with the ship's tour as it would be a with larger group. We have had no luck finding fellow cruisers to share a tour on the roll call for our cruise. Maybe the most on our sailing are from Europe or with a group.

We are thinking of the tour of epheus including the village of Sirince. Any thoughts concerning safety would be appreciated.

Is this Ekol tour a good opportunity to purchase a carpet- reasonable prices/value?

As part of the tour, Ekol will make a stop at either a carpet store or a leather store. You may decide also not to make the stop, but both the educational experience and entertainment value alone would make this stop worthwhile.

Are their bargins? Yes, but don't expect to pay $50 for a carpet or a leather jacket.

Do yourself a favor. Visit a top notch carpet store near you. Spend some time getting to know what you like and the price range.

The quality of the carpets and leather is much better in Turkey, then in your local store.

When we took EKOL they took us to "cooperative" carpet showroom outside of town. They have several demonstration areas and lots of carpets. Who knows if prices were good. We made it clear we did not want a large rug (basic cost was about $2,500 and up). So we bought a nice, good quality, silk wall hanging (about 14"x24") for under $400.

You do feel somewhat pressured to buy and they are good salesmen. But we wanted a nice souvenir so it worded out fine. We did check some prices in town later and they seemd higher priced.

Hi ! I have a question for you about the House of Virgin Mary - another poster said that you could take a small vial of holy water -- do you know if that is true ? I need to know because I will be there in Sept, and there are 3 people in my life who would NEVER forget it if I brought them holy water from the House of the Virgin Mary.

Thanks!!

Lisa

I didn't see anyplace right in the House of Virgin Mary with vials of water, but there are three fountains located in a wall that you pass after you leave the house. We were told they represent health, wealth and happiness. Some people drank from each, some just splashed some water on their skin. I suppose you could take a small vial with you and fill it with the water.

There is also a wall covered with wire mesh, that people used as a wishing wall. They tied up their wishes in strips of cloth and tied them to the wall. This is right next to the three fountains.

Archived