SS vs SY

rjohnson90

The only difference between the SS and SY categories on Vista ships is the location. The SS cabins are lower and in a more stable area in case of high seas, the SY cabins are beneath the Lido deck so you may hear some chair scraping when the clean early in the morning. The cabins, except for rhose on the bump-out are identical in both categories, and there are no obstructions in either class.

GN

Recently returned from as SS on the Noordam. Great cabin, lots of space and storage, large balcony. Very convenient to the Lido and Pool areas. Only heard the chair movement once or twice and it wasn't bad. I think one time was when they were setting up for the Chocolate Buffet. I was worried about possible noise from above, but it really was no problem. Probably more movement than the SY on a lower deck, but it didn't bother us. Maybe if you're a really light sleeper...

Bob

We recently returned from an SY on the Noordam midship, port side (Hi Bob - Happy New Year). We loved the SY because we were half way between the Lido and the Vista Lounge and Dining Room. So, really loved it and booked another this year. The size of both SY and SS is the same, but the deck locations are different and there is some cost differential.

The only difference between the SS and SY categories on Vista ships is the location. The SS cabins are lower and in a more stable area in case of high seas, the SY cabins are beneath the Lido deck so you may hear some chair scraping when the clean early in the morning. The cabins, except for rhose on the bump-out are identical in both categories, and there are no obstructions in either class.

GN

Hi GN,

I think you got this reversed. SS's are below the pool deck and SY's are one deck below that (Upper Veranda).

I have an SY on the Westerdam next week. I was offered a supposed upgrade to an SS for $400pp or $300 back. I took the $300 because I didn't want to be below the pool deck (noise).

On Vista ships, SS cabins are on deck 8 and SY cabins are on deck 6. Many perfer deck 6 because it is not directly below the Lido deck. HAL must have a good reason for pricing SS cabins higher than SY but it's not the size of the cabin.

Archived