SS Orcades 1970

dledak

Please help.

I am trying to trace my family history which includes immigtrating from Europe to Sydney Australia in 1970. The only solid information I have is a Certificate stating my Brother and I crossed the equator on 30th October 1970 on the SS Orcades. The Captain of the ship was P.C.Reed. I remember my Mother mentioning that we traveled from Europe (my parents were French - but insure of departure port) via Africa, Fremantle, Sydney. I'm not sure of specific ports.

Does anyone have information regarding this particular voyage, or where I can find out this information?

I would aooreciate your help.

Regards, DLEDAK

Please help.

I am trying to trace my family history which includes immigtrating from Europe to Sydney Australia in 1970. The only solid information I have is a Certificate stating my Brother and I crossed the equator on 30th October 1970 on the SS Orcades. The Captain of the ship was P.C.Reed. I remember my Mother mentioning that we traveled from Europe (my parents were French - but insure of departure port) via Africa, Fremantle, Sydney. I'm not sure of specific ports.

Does anyone have information regarding this particular voyage, or where I can find out this information?

I would aooreciate your help.

Regards, DLEDAK

These websites may help

http://freespace.virgin.net/donald.hazeldine/austral.htm

http://www.oceanlinermuseum.co.uk/orcades.htm

Brian

Have you checked with the main P&O (UK) office? I should imagine that they have some historical documents that could assist you. Some years ago, I contacted P&O re first Oriana, and they were able to point me in the right direction.

I did "google" Orcades, and there is quiet a bit of information there, under the SS Maritime website, and some good photos also.

Good luck in your quest.

According to a copy of P&O Liner holidays of 1970 Orcades sailed from Southampton on 20 October, calling at Rotterdam, Lisbon, Dakar Cape Town 4 November, Durban 6 November, Freemantle 16 November, Adelaide 19 November, Melbourne 20 November and Sydney 23 November.

I hope this helps. P C Reed went on to be Commodore of the fleet and Master of Canberra.

Harvey2442 wrote:

According to a copy of P&O Liner holidays of 1970 Orcades sailed from Southampton on 20 October.....

What is 'P&O Liner holidays'? Is it / are they available on-line, or is this a personal possession of yours?

Archived