Cabo San Lucas Tours

CanadianTwosome

We did the Oceanriders Zodiac Whale Watching through Cabo San Lucas Tours on January 17. It was AWESOME!! The zodiacs are equipped with a kind of tubular, cushioned seat with bars at the front and back for support. It kind of feels like riding a horse, especially when you're flying over the waves propelled by the two big motors and it's like galloping without as much rolling. There are a few bumps when you sail over big waves, but aside from that, it's just plain amazing, fast, and gorgeous.

We left the marina and headed past Lover's Beach. We saw sea lions, the arch, pirate's cave, and the scooby head rock before heading out into more open water to look for whales. Once there, they opened up the motors and we flew across the water. I was enjoying it so much I didn't even care if we saw whales. Fortunately, though, we did! As our guide pointed out to us, though, the whales don't work for them, so they go to where they think they might find some and then just hope that they'll come and say 'hi'. We saw three on our outing, and they were so close, we actually felt the spray when they blew out their blow holes. It was amazing. I would LOVE to do it again!!

Please let me know if you have any questions!!

What a great review. I have been going back and forth on if I want to do this. Nobody in my group wants to but me. I may do it alone, it sounds fun! What time did you go and what time did you return? We arrive at 7, but have to tender in. Cabo tours doesn't think I should book until the 10:30 slot. Our ship leaves at 2 but I hear I should be in line for the last tender at 1. I am wondering if I will be cutting the return close. Can you tell me which time slot you went on, how long it took you to get there and when you returned?

Thanks.

CanadianTwosome;

Glad you had a great time, we love OceanRiders. Saw whales with them on our trip last March.

We will be in Cabo again for in less than 3 weeks for our annual timeshare week. Unfortunately this year we will not be able to go on OceanRiders because we will have a guest with us that is easily over 300 lbs. We don't want her to be uncomfortable so we are going to try Pez Gato (catamaran) this year.

What a great review. I have been going back and forth on if I want to do this. Nobody in my group wants to but me. I may do it alone, it sounds fun! What time did you go and what time did you return? We arrive at 7, but have to tender in. Cabo tours doesn't think I should book until the 10:30 slot. Our ship leaves at 2 but I hear I should be in line for the last tender at 1. I am wondering if I will be cutting the return close. Can you tell me which time slot you went on, how long it took you to get there and when you returned?

Thanks.

I would guess the 10:30 tour will get back to the dock between 12:30 and 12:45. So yes you will be cutting it close. It's a pretty far walk from the OceanRider dock over to the cruise tender dock so you may have to run a little (or walk very fast). I would e-mail OceanRiders (you may have to do it a couple of times to get a response) and ask if there is a way they could drop you off by the cruise ship tender dock. If they do say yes, carry that e-mail with you. If they say no, then ask the crew again when you get on the zodiac (they may say yes). At a minimum, insist that they return on time (12:30) so that you can make it to the tender line by 1:00. Also, carry anything you need with you in a small backpack. DO NOT put anything in their lockboxes they provide at the pier because this will slow you down in racing back to the cruise tender pier. There is a small stowage area under each seat. Take a large grocery bag with you and put the backpack in it before you stow it in the seat (just in case the floor of the stowage area has a little water in it).

You will get wet on this trip (shoes included). Shoes will fit in the stowage area if needed (bring another grocery bag). A waterproof windbreaker is not a bad idea (it can be a little cool in the morning (at 45 mph out on the water). Just something you can stuff in the backpack. Not a bad idea if you can wear shoes/sandals you can run in (if necessary) like some old tennis shoes or a pair of Teva sandals.

Its a shame your cruise ship is giving such limited time in Cabo. On the plus side, you may have some other cruise ship passengers with you on the zodiac and it will encourage then to return on time.

Another thought, you could always try to be on one of the first tenders and try to make it over to the OceanRiders booth by 8am just to see if you can make it on the first tour if they have an extra seat.

Have a great cruise.

Excellent info! We were on the 10:30 and the other passengers seemed to have the same schedule as you. Our last tenders were always a half hour before departure time; if you're lined up for the last one, I'm sure they'll take you, so I wouldn't worry about having to be there by 1. If that were the case, they'd have the last tender at 1.

Depending on what kind of morning people you are, you might be able to make the early outing, but then you'd have to depend on the ship being on time as well. I'd go for the 10:30 and try Darrell and Holly's advice, although I really don't think you'll have to rush. :)

I just wanted to post that I talked with the owner of Cabo Tours. She said that I will be fine going on the 10:30 excursion and they have never had anyone miss a ship on Cabo, PV or Mazatlan. They would tell me not to do it, if I was cutting it too close. She said I am a 4 minute water taxi ride back to the ship from where the excursion ends. She said I can book the 10:30 and try to get there for the 8 am, they will take me if they have seats. She said she didn't think they would, as this is one of their popular excursions. Just wanted to pass along what I found out. Thanks everyone.

Archived