All things Independence of the Seas

Hi all

Thanks for the positive comments - I am now cheered again:D

A silly question came to mind when I was reading about room service in James' reply.

Could someone let me know about the breakfast arrangements please. Are the options Windjammer or room service? Is the main restaurant closed at breakfast / lunchtime and only open in the evenings?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that breakfast was served in the main dining room on cruising days only (i.e non-port days) but could be completely wrong......:confused:

Many thanks in advance.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

The main dining is open for breakfast every day (at least it was on our last cruise). We had our breakfast there. There's waiter service and also a small buffet for those who wish to chose their own breakfast. I think it's also open for lunch but as breakfast filled us we never made lunch anywhere!!

Nina :)

Hi all

A silly question came to mind when I was reading about room service in James' reply.

Could someone let me know about the breakfast arrangements please. Are the options Windjammer or room service? Is the main restaurant closed at breakfast / lunchtime and only open in the evenings?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that breakfast was served in the main dining room on cruising days only (i.e non-port days) but could be completely wrong......:confused:

Many thanks in advance.

Lisa

I believe breakfast is served daily in the dining room. We had breakfast one morning in the dining room on a port day while on the AOS. I had the eggs benedict which was absolutely delicious. Normally we do the Windjammer and find the ommelet station - YUM! Enjoy your cruise, I know you will.

Great Food if your in the Iceland/Aldi crowd

Independence Of The Seas

21st May 10 Night Canary Islands Cruise

Quality of Food

Windjammer best described as a motorway service station and as busy!

Main restaurants truly atrocious, mass produced rubbish.

Portofino great service the food was to the quality I'd expect in the main restaurant.

Chops Grille If you like Frozen American beef then this place is for you, funny thing is they think it's good quality! lol obviously never tried Scotch, and a steak restaurant with no Dijon mustard says it all!

Johnny Rockets very good for what it is, and probably all the so called chefs on the Independence are capable of producing well!

Entertainment

Ice shows were OK if you like that sort of thing, the rest was pretty poor, the cruise director spends most of his time whipping up the wist drive/bingo crowd to applaud the dreadful production shows and equally poor individual entertainers

Shore Excursions n/a

We don't do shore excursions

Staff

Very good and in the case of the guy who runs the concierge club excellent, which also turned out to be a great escape from the rabble

Onboard Activities

Seemed very good, if thats your thing

Cabins

We splashed out on a Grand suite which was truly superb plenty of room a double balcony with loungers and chairs and a table which was used every morning for breakfast & occasionally for lunch

Already cancelled the Med in September, Independence is probably best described as a Piky's picnic on the seas!

And that ladies and gentlemen is a great example of why I posted in the original immersion thread about hating the idea of travelling with people like this lunatic.

I've been on RCI ships before more than once and found the food to be outstanding both times.

I do not know this guy but i would bet my house and life savings that he is a sad little man living in a coucil flat with his wife (both of whom will have terrible teeth and possibly B.O) who has saved up for years to go on a cruise simply so he can come home and complain complain complain.

You give me and mine a bad name

Hi all

Many thanks in advance.

Lisa

I believe open every day..~ 8AM...has a smaller window that Windjamer. I love the made to order omlettes, we occasionally do Dining room, usually with a group. i.e. I was with the PJ Breakfast on Ultimate Alaska last Sept...what a blast! Pictures available in my signature.

I was on the May 17 four night cruise to Cork. The Independence is a beautiful ship and I very much enjoyed the cruise. I only have two complaints...I found the dishes and silverware in the Windjammer to be consistently dirty. You would think with a new ship the dishwashers would work properly but I was always having to look for a clean plate. If you like the life of a sardine than this is the ship for you. I realize I will not be sailing on the Genesis class ships having sailed on IOS. There are just too many people. I prefer smaller, less crowded ships, but that's me.

I was on the May 17 four night cruise to Cork. The Independence is a beautiful ship and I very much enjoyed the cruise. I only have two complaints...I found the dishes and silverware in the Windjammer to be consistently dirty. You would think with a new ship the dishwashers would work properly but I was always having to look for a clean plate. If you like the life of a sardine than this is the ship for you. I realize I will not be sailing on the Genesis class ships having sailed on IOS. There are just too many people. I prefer smaller, less crowded ships, but that's me.

Got back from the Indy last Saturday. I am now thinking of booking the 4 nighter to Cork in August. Was everywhere shut in Cork with it being a Sunday?

Got back from the Indy last Saturday. I am now thinking of booking the 4 nighter to Cork in August. Was everywhere shut in Cork with it being a Sunday?

We never made it to Cork. The first day we took the Scenic Drive & Blarney Village excursion. The second day we took the Waterford, Crystal Factory Tour.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies with regards to the breakfast options - that is great info and much appreciated.

Just watched the Freedom documentary that was on Nationa Geo channel last night - I taped it (thanks to SunnySideofSale's reminder - and soz if I got your name wrong). Although not Indy, I would imagine the ships are very similar - a great insight to the workings and daily goings on - I just can't wait!

Thanks Lee!!!

So after exploring the city of Vigo, did you just get a cab out to the beach?

And I don't worry about the negative comments. Been around long enough to know that life's what you make of it....

Yes we did the cabs are very cheap we took one from el corte englais(a very nice department store ) to the ship and it cost 4 euro .

lee

And that ladies and gentlemen is a great example of why I posted in the original immersion thread about hating the idea of travelling with people like this lunatic.

I've been on RCI ships before more than once and found the food to be outstanding both times.

I do not know this guy but i would bet my house and life savings that he is a sad little man living in a coucil flat with his wife (both of whom will have terrible teeth and possibly B.O) who has saved up for years to go on a cruise simply so he can come home and complain complain complain.

You give me and mine a bad name

LOL!!

Hi everyone

We were on the 21st May Canaries cruise and have to say, had the best holiday we have ever had. The ship, staff and food was excellent in our opinion and we have booked to go next year.

With regard to the ship being full our head waiter told us it was not (therefore empty dining room tables) not because the quality of the food was poor.

For all those waiting to sail on her, have an absolutely fantastic time. We did!

Hi there!

We did the maiden voyage. We went into Cork on the shuttle bus on the Sunday morning and it was very quiet. We went about 10ish and didn't stay long, but that was primarily because we had forgotten to pick up our wallets from the safe and so had no money apart from a few Euros in cash!!! Daft heh, especially as I really wanted to purchase some Waterford crystal! Never mind, we had a wander round but only stayed for about an hour or so. The shops in the centre were open in the morning but other gift type shops I think didn't open until about midday. We are a bit useless at finding the sights on our own (I would have loved to have seen the English Market but that is shut on a Sunday) and if I went again I would definitely book one of the tours. The gift shop at the Cobh Heritage Centre is pretty well stocked so I got my crystal there in the end!

Nina :)

Would rather have bad food, than go on a boring Ship like the Ventura, it looked so ugly stood next to Indy at SOU......I like the WOW on a ship cant wait till the OASIS OS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.....

Would rather have bad food, than go on a boring Ship like the Ventura, it looked so ugly stood next to Indy at SOU......I like the WOW on a ship cant wait till the OASIS OS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.....

Your post just confirms my original thoughts, the Independence seems set for the cut price holiday camp crowd, though it's nice to hear they have more people on the Med cruise with a more discerning palate than the 20th May crowd! RCI could probably guarantee a full ship if they put Chicken nuggets & chips, Burgers & Kebabs on in the main dining room!:eek:

Your post just confirms my original thoughts, the Independence seems set for the cut price holiday camp crowd, though it's nice to hear they have more people on the Med cruise with a more discerning palate than the 20th May crowd! RCI could probably guarantee a full ship if they put Chicken nuggets & chips, Burgers & Kebabs on in the main dining room!:eek:

Yep yer right, :rolleyes: they even have black pudding, baked beans and fired tomatoes on room service menus yum yum......if it takes that to guantee a full ship as a shareholder I am more than delighted.......build more ships I say, but not boring P.O....please.

After 42 cruises with RCI I cant wait till sat to experience the Butlins crowd as this snob talks about :p

Here here CRUISEHOLIC as a shareholder fill them up with passengers who are prepared to spend money in the bars and not the ones who are snobs and never spend any money around the ship.

I bet this person only took a grand suite so they could sit in the Concierge lounge and not have to mix with the real party people and pay for there drinks.

As one who has 6 cruises booked in the future I am glad this person has decided not to cruise with RCI again as the thought of him moaning in the CL lounge would sour my Gin :D

After 42 cruises with RCI I cant wait till sat to experience the Butlins crowd as this snob talks about :p

Here here CRUISEHOLIC as a shareholder fill them up with passengers who are prepared to spend money in the bars and not the ones who are snobs and never spend any money around the ship.

I bet this person only took a grand suite so they could sit in the Concierge lounge and not have to mix with the real party people and pay for there drinks.

As one who has 6 cruises booked in the future I am glad this person has decided not to cruise with RCI again as the thought of him moaning in the CL lounge would sour my Gin :D

Well said Scotsman!!!! Have a good Gin in the Dog & Badger!

I'm sorry but you are a total waste of space on this planet.

You come on these threads just to stir and ruin peoples holidays who have not yet sailed with your lies and insults towards others.What rights do you have to judge me?

You ever met me?

NO!

So STOP telling me I am a BULTLINS crowd and basically riff raff.Bet you have never been to a Butlins in your life, if you have you'd see they are fun to.

Why don't you just stick to the p&o bords rather than troll on here.

People like you think you are better than all the rest.

You make me so angry.

If I ever meet you i think i'd slap you for all the insults you've said.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

just remember the golden rules....

these boards are for posting people's opinions!

everybody is entitled to their opinion!

opinions are like ........... well, we all have one!

but nowhere does it say that you have to believe their every word!

look forward to your holiday!

enjoy your holiday!

fondly remember your holiday!

trust me.... these things aren't worth worrying about.......

just remember the golden rules....

these boards are for posting people's opinions!

everybody is entitled to their opinion!

opinions are like ........... well, we all have one!

but nowhere does it say that you have to believe their every word!

look forward to your holiday!

enjoy your holiday!

fondly remember your holiday!

trust me.... these things aren't worth worrying about.......

I agree but there is such a thing as constructive crtisism etc...

Have an opinion but please do';t go out of your way to offend others..

And I don't see much of an opinion just lots of insults being thrown to the rest of the passengers which I was one of and totally object to.

Why should I take it??? :confused:

my post was meant to be a 'general' post and not aimed at you specifically....but you're quite right my friend!!!

i put it down to having that 'empty' feeling you get when you get back from your holidays....

I'm not known for my tolerance, and i had to be very reserved after my last cruise in relation to the build up before going back to work....

when i was on the ship, i couldn't fault it one iota! but you soon begin to think...."well if this had of been like that..etc etc.." pointless at the end of the day!

keyboard warriors are all over the net! they dream about boards like this... let them have their say.... most of it is nauseating drivel