Which nights are these dresses suitable for?

LadyPink

Don't know what size cabin you have, but for most cabins the closets are small and would definately be an issue. You can probably go on the Cunard site and get a view of the room. You can't compare a typical cabin on a ship with a hotel cabin. Suites are significantly bigger. Closet size should be an important matter when considering which of the dresses or how many to take since most of the dresses you have chosen will take up quite a bit of space.

All of the gowns are quite lovely. You may want to consider wearing 3 on the cruise one way and the same 3 on the cruise back rather than getting 6 different gowns. There is a dry cleaners on board if one should need cleaning or pressing. Taking six different gowns will take up alot of space even with a good size closet.

The previous poster made several very good suggestion about a more sleek/cocktail style look.

Practically speaking, there is no difference between "Formal" and "Ball"--the thing to keep in mind is that there are three formal nights each way. And I wholeheartedly agree that IF you are going to buy more dresses, you may want to consider something along the lines of what Penny suggests on the Cunard board, bearing in mind the length, or lack of it, of some of the closets. Have you read her "Affair to Remember"?

You have made some inspired choices; the black & white one will be fabulous for the same name "themed evening". I would try and recycle for the return crossing, as I agree with some other writer to your thread, that there are 3 formal evenings on a "crossing"; and just remember you will never be over-dressed.

You should have quite enough space for your gowns, as there is space for 4 large suitcases under the bed, and these can also be used for storage.

On semi-formal nights you will find that a majority of ladies wear very nice cocktail dresses so cotton strappy sun outfits would leave you feeling deflated.

Don't forget to take a nice jumper, trousers and jacket, because it is wonderful out on the deck even it is windy mid-ocean. A swimming costume will come in very handy for the outdoor pools and hot-tubs (with champagne aside) for some memorable moments.

We are looking forward to another TA later this year.

Good Luck for your wedding and enjoy your honeymoon.

Standard cabin closets are about the size of a coat closet and since it is your honeymoon, you will definitely have to share the closet space with your new husband, plus have space for your daytime clothing.

No need for daytime clothing, they are going on their honeymoon ;) :D

You have made some inspired choices; the black & white one will be fabulous for the same name "themed evening". I would try and recycle for the return crossing, as I agree with some other writer to your thread, that there are 3 formal evenings on a "crossing"; and just remember you will never be over-dressed.

You should have quite enough space for your gowns, as there is space for 4 large suitcases under the bed, and these can also be used for storage.

On semi-formal nights you will find that a majority of ladies wear very nice cocktail dresses so cotton strappy sun outfits would leave you feeling deflated.

Don't forget to take a nice jumper, trousers and jacket, because it is wonderful out on the deck even it is windy mid-ocean. A swimming costume will come in very handy for the outdoor pools and hot-tubs (with champagne aside) for some memorable moments.

We are looking forward to another TA later this year.

Good Luck for your wedding and enjoy your honeymoon.

I was in a balcony cabin on the QM2, and did not find the closet small or other storage areas lacking. Here is a thought, after the gowns are worn they could be put back in the garment bags and laid flat under the bed, giving more room in the closet.

The formality of the QM2 is just where these gowns would work perfectly so if the “bride” has her heart set on them, there must be a way!! Just fair warning, I have worn a puffy full length gown on a cruise, and it is not all that easy to deal with it at dinner and some of the other public places like the theatre… it feels like you are all skirt. Still, if you are willing to put up with some of the inconvenience of bringing these wonderful ball gowns then yes do it and enjoy!

Here as promised are the ones that i will be buying in the next week or so...

I am about 5"8 and a big girl with waist length dark hair, green eyes, olive skin if that helps? I also hate my legs hence the full length gowns! :o

Ladypink,

They will be perfect. The black & white, as everyonr says, will be perfect for the B&W ball. There will be 3 formal evenings each way & if there is no flight involved on a B2B TA, there is no worrys about how much luggage you take. Pack it all, I will on the next one!:D

Happy hponeymoon,

Sharon

Lady Pink, I haven't read any of the post because I'm so excited about these dresses:D These are all wonderful dresses! I'm sorry, but I would wear every one of them. I don't care if there are only 2 formal nights on most cruises, I wear a dress every night and some are formal. My husband likes to see women look like women:D (readers, that doesn't mean if you don't wear a dress your not a woman-don't rant:eek: ) That being said if you only want to bring only a couple, good luck in picking those:o That's a hard pick, they are all wonderful! Your husband is very, very lucky, and you probably are to:rolleyes:

Happy cruising,

Pam

Lady Pink,

I was just on the QM2 and of course took note on all the dresses. Overall, they were sleek, elegant, predominately black or muted silk colors. Think understated and you will shine. Any of the black gowns, or the burgundy one (first of the second bunch) would be fine. I would definitely not do the poufy pink one. It's fine to do a fuller dress, particularly if you love ballroom dancing but keep it black (or other simple color), unadorned and chic. If you wanted to do a baby pink (or a vibrant bright) I would suggest a sleek slip dress. On a ten night cruise, I wore a cocktail dress or gown almost every night, it was great fun. And although there were certainly more gowns on the formal nights, if you are head to toe in black you can really look just as nice in dress trousers and a slinky top (as did the gorgeous woman from barcelona at the table next to me who never wore a dress but always looked fabulous).

Ooh I am so excited for you!! I love dressing up and there are never enough opportunities to do so. Think of all those beautiful photos you will have. If you choose to take fewer dresses, maybe add a wide satin belt one night to a dress youve already worn or you can pull your hair up or something to made the dresses look different.

Your plans sound wonderful! Something we'd love to do, getting off the ship for 6 days in England before the return crossing.

I still think packing and storage will be an issue regardless of what others may think, but mostly it's my own personal preference to simplify life rather than complicating it. Not just the clothes themselves, but if you need different shoes, accessories, etc... for all your different looks.

Remember there will be very few on the second crossing other than staff, I hardly doubt anyone will critique you for wearing the same 3 gowns 2 times each.

Whatever your choice may be, have a simply wonderful honeymoon :)

Oops, what I meant to say was there would be very few repeaters on the return crossing other than staff. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if others who were repeating wore the same formal clothes both ways.

QM2 also has laundry rooms!

Try jersey gowns at places like nordstrom.com. I have tried to put in a link to an example. "David Meister" dresses look great - you can pack them in a ball they don't wrinkle.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2971459?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=guidednav&keyword=jersey+dress+in+Women%27s+Apparel+%3e+Dress+Shop+%3e+Evening+Gowns&origin=searchresults

Lady Pink, First let me say Congratulations! Your gowns are beautiful, too. And I think dressing up is a good thing. May I add my 2cents worth? Pack a simple black dress....longer length is good, but maybe not to floor. There are many with uneven hemlines...one side at knee, the other lower. Wear different accessories with that dress...one night your bolero, the other night a pretty pink silk pashmina. Wear your hair up once, then with a decorative clip on another night. If your dress is simple, you could purchase a belt or sash to wear with it. Get my point? I have a silk jersey wrap dress that is very simple. Not to say it isn't elegant, it is! I just wear it differently and NO ONE knows it is the same dress! Personally, I like the lighter weight dresses...easy to sit at a table for a few hours and then get up and dance the night away. Have fun on your honeymoon!:D

On the QE2, one needs at least 4 ballgowns for transatlantic. I am sailing from New York on April and there are 4 formal nights and 2 informal - no casual. Make sure you have a black and white one.

The QE2 and QV do not seem to be quite so formal as we had more elegant casual on the QV than on the QE2.

Where are you getting married?

Maureen

Archived