So much water

meidda

I will be taking my second cruise soon. Suddenly I can't help but think about all that water. I remember feeling the same way on the first cruise. The first few days when I was on the balcony I made sure the door was open and my hand was in reach of the door handle so that in case it tilted I could run back inside. I know it sounds silly. And those videos that people post on CC web site showing ships in storms ,cyclones etc aren't helpful. Thanks for listening.

You'll be just fine! That's the thrilling part of cruising that we never get over. Just keep your eyes on the horizon line. Remember- nothing ever happens. You are 100% safe. Just get on board, crack open a cold one, and enjoy the next week.

Actually I enjoyed myself so much that I wanted to book another cruise right away. But what worries me is the occasion that you hear about when the ship suddenly tilts and eveything goes flying. Then I wonder if you happen to be standing at the balcony your a goner! As far as motion sickness goes I packed them but never used them. All and all I really loved it.

Actually I enjoyed myself so much that I wanted to book another cruise right away. But what worries me is the occasion that you hear about when the ship suddenly tilts and eveything goes flying. Then I wonder if you happen to be standing at the balcony your a goner! As far as motion sickness goes I packed them but never used them. All and all I really loved it.

Even when the Crown tilted we didn't lose anyone overboard. (Although I did see things washing overboard from the aft pool). Unless you're leaning over the railing, I don't think it's too likely to be a problem, even in the event of the very rare tilt. Now, I have to admit, I don't think I'd have wanted to be standing near the tv in our room, that probably would have hurt.

Hello everyone.. I'm a new cruiser also. What is a tilt? I have never heard of it. How often does this happen?:(

Lori, the Crown Princess tilted (leaned/listed) quite a bit on, I believe, her maiden voyage. I am sure Piper can fill you in more. Quite an unusual occurance. I don't remember anyone speaking of it happening at any other time. Also, this time of year is usually very quiet out on the oceans. You will be fine. The rails are really high, so you don't have to worry. You will have a great cruise!

You wont need to worry on the larger cruise ships. Today they are all built with stabalizers, so minor storms wont affect the motion too badly. I do recommend to all my clients to take the patch anyway, if you have any hesitations. You put it behind your ear several hours BEFORE sailing, and you should be fine.

It's hard not to indulge irrational fears...but at some point, you just have to decide if you are going to let them control you, or if you are going to control them. It's the most amazing feeling once you make the (difficult) choice to never indulge those fears again.

Lori, the Crown Princess tilted (leaned/listed) quite a bit on, I believe, her maiden voyage. I am sure Piper can fill you in more. Quite an unusual occurance. I don't remember anyone speaking of it happening at any other time. Also, this time of year is usually very quiet out on the oceans. You will be fine. The rails are really high, so you don't have to worry. You will have a great cruise!

There have been a handful of tilt incidents in the last 10 years or so (and when I say handful, I mean that compared to the number of of cruises that have gone in that time period it's insignificant). The Crown was probably one of the larger tilts, I believe the Grand Princess did once too. (Generally the incidents don't seem weather related.)

But once you look at the railings on a ship, you're going to realize that any stories you hear about people "accidentally" falling off a ship are suspect at best. Generally you find that once the details come out, people are doing something stupid that puts them more at risk.

That said, I know my wife doesn't necessarily like standing right next to the rails. On some of these ships you're easily 80+ feet up, so if you're afraid of heights, you might find that uncomfortable.

The reality is though, you're probably in far greater danger of something bad happening when you're in your car on the way to the airport or pier. So if you survive that, you'll probably make it :).

I am going on my first cruise and I feel the same way. Tell me how did you manage on your first cruise. Any motion sickness, etc. Any information you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I thought I would have that issue on my first cruise, but I found I love the water...I love going out on the balcony a looking out - it's so peaceful.

I get motion sickness very easily and I found the scopamine patches really do work well. I also bring Bonine (mechlazine hydrochoride) with me in case we have a rough day (a little extra bouncing), then I take two of those with the patch. I have never gotten sick on a cruise. Thses large ships are pretty smooth sailing on the most part...

You are going to have so much fun!

Bon Voyage!

Archived