When it says 9 a.m. in port, what does that mean?

nashwl

Hey everyone. This will be my first cruise. I have been looking over these boards for the last couple days and I wanted to thank everyone. I have learned a ton just by reading the tips and other posts. Some of you guys cruise a ton (LUCKY!), and I hope to be among you once I get this first one out of the way.!

My questions: When it says a ship's port call starts at 9.m., does that mean the ship ARRIVES in the port at 9.m., or do they start letting people off the ship at 9 a.m.? I am trying to plan a dive and most boats are leaving around 9:30 that morning. Also, how can I make sure I am one of the first people off the ship?

Also, I selected inside guarentee (I dont plan on being in that cabin for anything but sleep!). When do you generally know your cabin assignment?

If anyone has been on the Fantasy, what do you think? I have read all positives so far, and I doubt I will have anything less than an absolute BLAST in March!

The ship will most likely arrive before 9AM, but that is the time you can count on them letting people off. If you are docked at a pier, everyone can leave when they like. If you are at a location you have to tender off, they let those on ships excursions on the tenders first, then everyone else. The usual procedure is that you wait in line at an appointed place to get tender tickets; the earlier you get in line, the earlier you get off the ship!

In port at 9:00 means thats when you can plan on getting off. If you are docking you should be able to just walk off. If you are Tendering (no dock available and you must take a smaller boat to the port) you will have to leave extra time to get a ticket so you are one of the first folks off the ship. The tours know the cruise ships so if they leave at 9:30 thats the time they know everyone gets off the ship. enjoy your cruise.

It means that they will start allowing people off the ship approx 9am.

To ensure that you get off the ship before 9am & in time to make your excursion...You need to Book your Excursion with th CruiseShip AND You Need to Make Sure That You Are One of the FIRST people to get In Line To Get Off.

In the past we've booked all but (1) excursion with the ship & we've NEVER had a prob getting to excursion on time.(we usually excursions that start early in the morning.)

Thanks for the help. So far the shore excursion (my SCUBA dive) isnt through the cruise line. They are not offering one for that week. The stop is in Cozumel, from what I understand you dock at that port so getting off doesnt look like it will be a problem.

Thanks for the help. So far the shore excursion (my SCUBA dive) isnt through the cruise line. They are not offering one for that week. The stop is in Cozumel, from what I understand you dock at that port so getting off doesnt look like it will be a problem.

Some dock at Cozumel, some tender at Cozumel, I don't think you can guarantee you'll dock. When I was on Fascination in December they had docked for two months running, and they even told us we were docking, but they changed that the night before and said they would be tendering for the first time since October.

Maybe a duplicate post, but just because it's docked before doesn't mean it will again. Fascination tendered in December after docking for two straight months.

Typically in ports...you will arrive early (a couple hours) of the stated time. Then the local officials have to clear the vessel....yada yada. They do allow their excursions off first. If you don't have an excursion...just relax and then debark when it is open. Platinum is promised priority...no big deal ! Have a blast on your cruise...I hope you enjoy it ....

Archived