Grand Tour of Panama reviews

Stonn

I'm going on a Panama Canal cruise next month with RCCI. There's a tour called "Grand Tour of Panama" which takes you to the Embera Indians and Gatun Locks. Apparently that takes 5.5 hours. There's another tour devoted only to Embera Indians which takes 6 hours. I don't understand how a tour that combines both can take less time. If anyone has done the "Grand Tour," please let me know what you thought.

• 2 weeks later...

In general . . . there are two Embera villages the tour companies use. One is about a 10 minute boat ride from where the buses park. I would call it a "demonstration" village and wish they would entitle this tour "The Embera Experience" or something similar. Yes, the people you meet, live there. They moved there and started this kind of demonstration village. They wear more clothing I guess cause someone told them they might "offend" the sensitivities of cruise passengers. So the trip that includes an "Embera" village with other activities usually uses this village. It is a nice experience, and better than never being exposed to this culture, one of the seven indigenous groups who were hear before Columbus. You can buy their baskets and crafts and it's nice.

The longer Embera tour is usually to an authentic village at San Juan de Piqueni. To go to this one the boat ride is an hour long by dug out canoe across Madden Lake then on a river up through the jungle, sometimes with wildlife glimpses along the way. That in itself is quite an experience and a beautiful trip!! This is an authentic village. Since it is in a national park the people can't hunt or farm, so tourism is their only income. They dress in traditional Embera dress - or lack of it - and it is a never-to-be-forgotten experience. BUT you have to check with the shore ex people to be sure you are going to this village, and not the other one. A lot of shore ex people don't really know that much about the tours they sell. What you need to ask is the length of the boat ride. That's why this one is 6 hours. They have baskets and crafts and will also take you on a walk through the jungle pointing out various medicinal plants . . . even Embera version of a certain little blue pill, in case you want to take some back to the ship! These are neat people who are struggling to maintain a lifestyle. Lunch is generally tilapia fish fried, bananas, rice, and fruit and is served in a traditional bowl made of banana leaves. They love to have their pictures taken as well. Erito is the head man of the village.

The Changres River flows through the rain forest on it's way to Gatun Lake. Along the banks of the river and the lake live the Embera Indians. The Embera Indians still live much as they did hundreds of years ago. Panama has a diverse and culturally rich indigenous population. The indian's have managed to preserve much of their culture and traditions. Visit one of the indian villages and watch a demonstration of native dances, rituals and healing ceremonies. You will also be invited to visit (and purchase) at the craft market. Enjoy seeing another side of Panama by visiting with her native people. Complimentary beverages and snack included. Minimum age to participate is 6 years old.

The above is a 6 hour tour thru Celebrity, costing $84 pp. Is this one "the real thing"?

Thanks for you assistence. Panama is the one place where we are having trouble choosing an excursion.

I checked with Royal Caribbean and it seems both Embera Village trips go to the least authentic village, so I decided to do the train trip instead. I heard some of the indian people are at the port selling their crafts, so at least I'll get a taste of the culture.

I checked with Royal Caribbean and it seems both Embera Village trips go to the least authentic village, so I decided to do the train trip instead. I heard some of the indian people are at the port selling their crafts, so at least I'll get a taste of the culture.

I assume that means that Celebrity's is the "fake" village too. I just spent about an hour on the phone with Celebrity, trying to find out but my head is spinning from being passed from one person to the next and being asked the same questions. And I still don't have an answer. I need a drink!

What a shame. HAL's tour to Rio San Juan de Pequini sounds neat. I love the idea of going part way by canoe through the jungle.

Now I have no idea which would be the most interesting Panama tour available to those of us on the Constellation. While I appreciate the convenience of the Panama Canal for the modern world, I am not interesting in spending the day listening to statistics and to me locks are locks. The wait is always boring.

Sorry, I am just grumpy after spending so much time on the phone with Celebrity. I especially hate it when you try for half an hour then get disconnected and have to start over.

Stonn & Burm - At least you did the research. I'm not saying the "demonstration" village isn't worth seeing . . . just, unfortunately, they are different. Following up you may enjoy reading my "Visiting The Embera" blog entry and seeing some of the pics there of the authentic village. I'll try posting pictures of the other one in a day or two and offering a comparison.

Regards!

http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/visiting-the-embera/

Stonn & Burm - At least you did the research. I'm not saying the "demonstration" village isn't worth seeing . . . just, unfortunately, they are different. Following up you may enjoy reading my "Visiting The Embera" blog entry and seeing some of the pics there of the authentic village. I'll try posting pictures of the other one in a day or two and offering a comparison.

Regards!

http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/visiting-the-embera/

Richard:

Thank you for the link. San Juan de P really sounds interesting but I am not interested in the "demonstration" village, which appears to be the only option available to me. If it is located right by the buses, i am not sure what we would do for 6 hours.

What do you think of the Gatun Lake Safari offered by Celebrity?

Gatun Lake Safari - XR21Your adventure takes you to the waters of the world's most famous man made lake. Lake Gatun is in the heart of the Isthmus of Panama and was constructed between 1906-1914 to make the Panama Canal possible. Board a motor launch for a voyage of discovery. Navigate routes that crossed the isthmus long before the lakes creation. Birds, monkeys, sloths, iguanas, and crocodiles are just a few of the animals that you can view in their native surroundings. A delicious tropical style lunch is provided.

Further information on the Celebrity tour of Embera Indian Culture XR04:

Kindly note that the Embera Indians live along the banks of the Chagres River. The name of the venue is Tusipono Embera Community.

> The Ember are a unique and beautiful people. They live much as they did when Columbus arrived in the 1500's.

> An amazing experience where the Embera Indians will share their native foods, perform tribal dances, show you how they weave their intricate baskets and explain their way of life, culture and beliefs. This is the real thing- right. An authentic, unforgettable encounter with a living Indian culture.

> Embera women are topless at the community and they transfer from place to place by "piraguas" (canoes)..

> Some walking in semi- developed forest trails will be required. One extra change of clothing recommended.

> Fish, fried plantains and tropical fruits will be served as lunch at the community.

> During your visit, you will see that the Ember possess amazing botanical knowledge most will be surprised to learn of their contributions to modern pharmaceuticals. You are welcome to paint your bodies as the Ember do, with a natural fruit dye called Jagua. We will also have the opportunity to view famed Ember handicrafts.

What do you think, Richard? Is this the place right by the buses?

• 9 months later...
Further information on the Celebrity tour of Embera Indian Culture XR04:

Kindly note that the Embera Indians live along the banks of the Chagres River. The name of the venue is Tusipono Embera Community.

> The Ember are a unique and beautiful people. They live much as they did when Columbus arrived in the 1500's.

> An amazing experience where the Embera Indians will share their native foods, perform tribal dances, show you how they weave their intricate baskets and explain their way of life, culture and beliefs. This is the real thing- right. An authentic, unforgettable encounter with a living Indian culture.

> Embera women are topless at the community and they transfer from place to place by "piraguas" (canoes)..

> Some walking in semi- developed forest trails will be required. One extra change of clothing recommended.

> Fish, fried plantains and tropical fruits will be served as lunch at the community.

> During your visit, you will see that the Ember possess amazing botanical knowledge most will be surprised to learn of their contributions to modern pharmaceuticals. You are welcome to paint your bodies as the Ember do, with a natural fruit dye called Jagua. We will also have the opportunity to view famed Ember handicrafts.

What do you think, Richard? Is this the place right by the buses?

Burm... Did you ever find out if this was authentic? I'm on Celebrity Constellation in February and am wondering the same thing. Maybe if I revive this page, Richard will see it and give me an answer, too.

Archived