Internet Cafe....

HoopTroop

One of the more amazing things about Belize is that it IS CONNECTED! Your cellphone--if it is CDMA for sure, and you have International Billing authorized, which has to be arranged in advance of your trip--a matter of one phone call, as I remember--will find probably better reception than you have at home, in every corner and on every island of the country. To call the United States, dial 001-area code-number. Never a problem! Never a dropped call! Calls (even wrong numbers, of course) dialled normally to your cell from your home area will be "roamed" seamlessly to Belize. (Our cellphone service is with Verizon, so all of my representations are about our own experience. We received three calls and initiated three during the two weeks. We did have one wrong number reception--from our home area--they hung up on us).

There are MANY "Internet cafes"--Maya Cafe almost directly across the street from the Water Taxi terminal next to the Swing Bridge immediately comes to mind, as having the most excellent coffee and fruit juices, (lime was my favorite, but they have papaya and pineapple and a few others, and will mix them and/or make a "freeze" if you like; and they will prepare some good Chinese snacks like dumplings and won tons. You get a lot for your money (The owner is Taiwanese, I think he holds some part-time diplomatic post with the huge Taiwanese Embassy a few blocks to the north). I had no use for Internet services there, but went back a number of times during my two-week visit for a snack or a coffee or a juice, and saw the sign. There is a really great Internet setup at the bookstore in Caye Caulker as well.

For a really secure environment, you may use the "business center" two rooms (and a locked door) behind the front desk at the Radisson Fort George for I believe $11 Belize per hour ($5.50 US). I might have that wrong--it MIGHT be per half-hour, as the service is free for guests of the hotel, which I was. But there is a whole small room containing I think five terminals, new DELLs most of them, which the hotel leases so as to keep them current. All are running Windows Vista, and all are very high speed Internet. The business center should be available most of the time--the only time it was full was when a group of American student teachers was doing some practice teaching in Belize, and at the end of the day for several hours they would write back to their Moms, their significant others, and so forth. But they were very sensitive to the needs of others and usually only took over four of the five terminals . . . . :D As all of them were very young and very cute, they didn't bother anybody . . . .

• 1 month later...

Archived