snorkeling question

nseagirl

:confused: I would love to snorkle on our cruise but don't know if I can with my glasses. Obviously, I can't afford to go spend mega bucks on prescription goggles or mask. I can't see with out my glasses. Any ideas???

I think you can get a decent quality presciption mask for about $80. If you live in an urban area, try going to your dive shop. Also, I think that some masks can be worn over glasses. You may want to contact the excursion company to see if they have those available or if not see if you can buy one for a decent price.

Good luck, snorkeling is fun.

I've snorkeled a couple of times but had always been able to talk my eye doc into giving me a trial pair of contacts. That doc is no longer available. Thanks for the info on the prescription masks. I had no idea that they could be gotten so cheaply. I'll certainly look into that!:o :)

I've snorkeled a couple of times but had always been able to talk my eye doc into giving me a trial pair of contacts. That doc is no longer available. Thanks for the info on the prescription masks. I had no idea that they could be gotten so cheaply. I'll certainly look into that!:o :)

Maybe it's time to have your eyes examined too. It would be a waste of money to invest in a mask when the presription is wrong. With a new prescription you can buy a box of contacts for around $30- should last you the next few cruises :D

I'm not at all certain, but you might also look into the underwater "BOSS" excursions. You actually wear a helmet and go under the surface. I know your question regarded snorkeling, and you've gotten some great advice already - just thought you might consider something completely different to get a similar experience.

Good Luck! Have Fun!

Consider anything under $100 for a prescription mask a great deal.

If you have an old pair of glasses and are very, very handy in that MacGuyver sort of way :cool: , and they are large lenses, you might consider taking out the lenses from your old pair , and using a clear glue to affix them inside a snorkel mask.

Only attempt this is you are: Brave. Handy. Good with Glue. Know how a snorkel mask fits. Know how to look through the mask and can figure out where to position the lenses. And Crazy enough to give it a whirl. :o

This is not meant to be a general suggestion for average snorkelers! Please do not try this at home unless you are sure of yourself! You could end up ruining a perfectly good snorkel mask and old pair of glasses!! And that would be no good. :(

I bought a prescription mask from www.snorkelmart.com that I am very happy with. It was a $67.45 with very speedy service. Mine was corrected only for nearsightedness. I did not feel I needed a much more expensive bifocal lens as I can read my watch, painfully, without that correction. Coral reefs are much more impressive when you can see them clearly.

My one concern in ordering online was that the mask would not fit. It fits fine. I think that most masks fit most people. If you have an unusually large, narrow or flat face you might not be as lucky.

For the first 9 cruises, I took an old pair of glasses, removed the arms, and wedged them into the mask (which I got very cheaply at Walmart). This worked fine. Keep in mind that there is a natural refractive quality to water, and the exact positioning of the lenses to your eyes is not critical. You should be able to see clearly this way, but will lose a bit of the field of vision. This too is not very important, as you can freely turn your head.

I notice that you are on a 4 day trip to the Bahamas. While that is not really representative of cruising to the Caribbean, hopefully you will get enough of a taste to get hooked. If so, you may want to invest in a prescription mask. Last year I finally got a mask with interchangeble prescription lenses for about $70(at Diver's Direct-they have a website and also an outlet near Mallory Square). They are individul lenses and don't have to have the same diopter.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

PS, if you are going to Nassau, one of the best excursions is the Dolphin Swim (not available through the ship) which you can book through the website Dolphin Encounters. This is an expensive but phenomenal experience, and the company is extraordinary in its treatment of the animals.

Go with SnorkelMart. I have astigmatism and progressive bifocals. But, I was able to calculate out a stock prescription mask (they have the tool on their site), and paid $59 for it. Now I couldn't read a contract underwater, but it was fantastic to see clearly.

A lot of people find that when using the regular snorkel mask things are magnified so much that they don't have a problem at all in seeing everything. Something to do with refraction, I think. You might be just fine with a regular mask.

Have a great time snorkeling!

You may wish to google Scuba Gear and call one of the online vendors, there are several. Most will help you pick a good mask in your "reasonable" price range with exchangable RX lenses. As for the RX, the RX lenses are not percise but come in increments and honestly my mask is stronger RX than my contacts so I see very well underwater.

RX masks come in all kinds of price ranges, I'd suggest staying inexpensive for snorkeling only, however if yo plan to get into scuba then get a better mask to start with.

My eyesight is so bad that I can't see the HUGE numbers on the alarm clock on my nightstand without putting on my glasses. That being said I was amazed the first time I snorkeled that I could see!! It is a truly wonderful experience not to be missed if you have the opportunity! We have since purchased a prescription mask and I actually prefer snorkeling without it.

A lot of people find that when using the regular snorkel mask things are magnified so much that they don't have a problem at all in seeing everything. Something to do with refraction, I think. You might be just fine with a regular mask.

Have a great time snorkeling!

I had the same concern as the OP - I'm pretty nearsighted - have about arm's length clear vision - and was pleasantly surprised by how much I could see with no glasses or contacts and just a plain mask!

I decided not to pursue contacts or a prescription mask because the excursion I had planned was not a snorkling excursion but rather an excursion which included an opportunity to snorkle.

My vision wasn't perfect, but it was plenty good enough to be enjoyable!

My 1st time, I just folded my glasses and wedged them in my mask. I was in a pinch and it worked fine for a temporary measure.

Beware though, because on the normal magnification on goggles and the enhanced magnification having your glasses 1 inch from your eyes, even the tiny fish seem much larger......freaked me out a bit. I do buy daily contacts for this now and just toss them after each day at the beach!

Have fun!

Another place you might try is Leisure Pro online. A friend of mine bought a prescription mask there last year and it was quite reasonable as I recall. I've ordered tons of SCUBA gear from them and they have great prices and service.

Ok, this just isn't a big deal at all.

The first time Judy snorkled we just folded her glasses and laid them in the mask. Problem solved. It worked super and she really enjoyed herself.

This, of course, assumes that you are near sighted. She only wears her glasses for distances over 4 feet or so. It worked perfect for her.

Hope that helps,

Jim

I would suggest contacts. The daily desposables are great. Your doctor can probably give you a free trial pair even so it wouldn't cost you anything.

I live in Canada but 6 pairs of disposable contacts (mine last anywhere from 1-2 months per pair) cost me $65.

Even if you can just get used to them prior to sailing you'll be fine. The first time you try them it feels like you have an eyelash in your eye but it doesn't last for too long.

You might even get hooked on contacts. Believe me, it's such a treat to feel like you can see like the rest of the population.

You all have given me some wonderful replies. I think I will look into a fairly inexpensive prescription mask. I had no idea you could get one so cheaply. I actually live on the coast of NC, and even thought the ocean here isn't as clear as it is there, I'm sure I'll get the chance to use it some.

I'm getting ready to check out the web-sites you all mentioned. I may have more questions after I do.

Thanks for all of your advise!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all! I followed your advice and ordered a prescription mask from snorkelmart. They were so helpful! It came yesterday and I can't wait to use it! I wish I didn't have to wait until the end of April.

Now, what is the difference between a dry snorkel and a semi-dry one? The last time I went snorkeling, I managed to suck in a mouthful of water and choked. Should I get a dry snorkel? Or will semi-dry be good enough for someone who isn't planning to actually dive down...just mostly float on the surface??

Archived