Cruise Ship Pollution in the Oceans?

Nope, not true. On our last cruise to HI on RCCL in Oct., one of the questions to the captain was "what happens to the leftover food". His response was that there is much less waste than one would think, but what is left over goes through a "garbarator" that grinds the food up, and is then dumped into the sea to feed the fish.

Are any of the fish complaining about the decline of the quality of food served on RCI:D

Nope, not true. On our last cruise to HI on RCCL in Oct., one of the questions to the captain was "what happens to the leftover food". His response was that there is much less waste than one would think, but what is left over goes through a "garbarator" that grinds the food up, and is then dumped into the sea to feed the fish.

I'm just going by what the Capt. on the Mariner told us last week.

To find out the answer, got to a Captains Q and A session and ask. :)

I was there when someone did and the answer surprised me. The environmental manager said that 90 to 95% of the waste on the Mariner of the Seas is recycled. Sewage waste is treated and released (I thought he said) 6 miles out. They don't release raw sewage ever.

Additionally their comment was this: RCI is a business and with any business, a goal is to make more money. What RCI found was that nasty beaches and crappy water aren't attractive and thus cruising goes down. If they want to keep their company alive and strong for years they were going to need to do something and thus Save the Waves was started. They wanted to protect the enivornment they cruise in or passengers wont be cruising.

Selfish, perhaps but it helps the environment and thus...I don't care. Simple.

The save the whale campaign was in full force 8 years ago when this incident happened as reported in the NY times:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0DE7DC173BF935A1575BC0A96F958260

Not to say all the cruiselines aren't currently working hard to reduce ocean pollution. As I read the new head tax law, one of it's provisions is that any citizen that reports illegal dumping receives 50% of the fines levied. I believe that in this case the fine was 18mil so with that high of a potential bounty on their heads, the cruiselines will certainly be on their toes.

Once the radicals can convince everyone that once Human beings are all dead, then the environment will be fine!

Worn out with the "eco" experts! Notice how their focus is on the US?

Let's invite them to go to China and India and Russia....I am sure their message would be well recieved in those "eco" friendly nations.

Some interesting facts albeit from what is probably an "ecofreak" source.

http://www.earthisland.org/project/reportPage2.cfm?reportContentID=111&subSiteID=6&pageID=174

This is interesting. But I would like to see an apples to apples comparison. Track all those people that are on cruise ships for the same amount of time back home and see how much waste they generate. The numbers would have the "ecofreaks" in a tizzy. Cruise ships are not the "problem". The problem is too many humans consuming too many resources (me included) on a planet that will eventually run out or become inhospitable to humans if not managed properly. How do we fix that?

Archived