Ventura without kids?

jeanlyon

I compile for a column in our local newspaper, extracts from 125, 100, 75, 50 and 25 years ago.

Back in the last century every week the courts had folks in the dock for not sending their children to school even if only for a few days (unless sick).

Perhaps today on top of a fine, parents should be charged by the courts the amount that they "saved" with these child spaces, when they take their children out during term-time. The fines could then be hypothacated to the local education budget.

When I cruise in November I do not expect a ship to have 100s of children on board. Only pre-5's and over 15's not in education should be present.

Did you never keep your children away from School?

When my children were young, the only way we could afford to give them the experience of a 'foreign holiday' was to take at least part in term time. Fortunately their education appears not to have suffered; both obtaining good degrees and now successfully established in there professions.

Perhaps the experience gave them a wider view of life as they have grown up as tolerant well rounded individuals.

Cb

Cb,

We have taken our children out for a few days in school term over Christmas 2 day’s pre Christmas and 3 days after. I do not think that they will suffer from these lost days, and they have learnt different aspects of life through traveling. We do not take our children out for any financial benefit, but we pick a cruise for its schedule. When our children get a little older and their educational requirements are more intense, we will not be taking them out of school during term. Then when they are past education, and in employment, they can pay for our cruises.:D

Rob.

I compile for a column in our local newspaper, extracts from 125, 100, 75, 50 and 25 years ago.

Back in the last century every week the courts had folks in the dock for not sending their children to school even if only for a few days (unless sick).

Perhaps today on top of a fine, parents should be charged by the courts the amount that they "saved" with these child spaces, when they take their children out during term-time. The fines could then be hypothacated to the local education budget.

When I cruise in November I do not expect a ship to have 100s of children on board. Only pre-5's and over 15's not in education should be present.

Great idea!! lets bring back the man only vote, hanging and ricketts too!

What should of course be considered is that not everyone is of the same

Financial standing.

Some families that work hard all year want to have decent family holiday. If this is taken in the official school holidays you could expect to pay another £2000 for the same thing.

I personally would not be as harsh a critic to judge or think they everyone had the same disposible income and i certainly would not deny a family some precious lesuire time together.

At our School we have a fairly elderly,traditional headteacher that is very open minded. She is in agreement that children will benefit from a travel experience and that a family holiday taken out of the 10 authorised days allowance given to all parents is very important for the nurturing of children.

I appreciate that there are some children on board cruise ships that are badly behaved and inconsiderate but they are children and so it is forgivable.There are many more adults that are also very inconsiderate and should know better.

I feel that a child can really gain a lot of social skills from a cruise holiday its just a pity that not all adults can.

Lou

The time for children to go on holiday is during the summer holidays, Easter, Christmas and half-term.

Holiday companies should be offering child places (free or heavily discounted) only during these times. They would please an awful lot of other folks if they were to decrease the single adult supplement heavily during term time too.

The time for children to go on holiday is during the summer holidays, Easter, Christmas and half-term.

Holiday companies should be offering child places (free or heavily discounted) only during these times. They would please an awful lot of other folks if they were to decrease the single adult supplement heavily during term time too.

But this would turn the cross subsidy on its head. Travel companies make the greater part of their profit in the 'peak' season i.e. school holidays etc.

To comply with your suggestion would require at least a flat pricing model or even off peak travellers subsidising the free places during school holidays. Not a problem to me since winning the lottery, but a number of people would find a problem with this.

cb

Does P&O have a better reputaition when it comes to "Less kids"? Because this is what I'm looking for. No kids...sing me up.

P&O has two child-free ships, which seems to be a rareity, Arcadia is only 3 years old, contempoary and modern around 83,000 Tonnes and the smaller Artemis at 44,000 tonnes.

I have a photo album on the web of just Arcadia photos inside and out, have a look: LINK IS

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia

Sue

p.s. I will be on her for the 3rd time in 3 years in a few weeks time, any questions, just ask!

WOW this is great so controversial!

I like the way some subscribers are inferring their children are always well behaved! Children are by their nature loud and annoying, and adults, particularly those whose children have flown the nest, can do without them!

I don't know how people can afford to take their children on a cruise, with or without child discount!

We never took our children out of school, I think it creates a wrong impression to encourage this practice. There are more than enough school holidays to plan round and people should just cut their cloth accordingly!

Our children are no way well behaved, they are like you say loud and very annoying. That is why in the summer holidays I send them off to our house in France for 6 weeks with the wife. That way I can continue to work and have some piece at home. :D

Rob.

Sue are they giving free child places? Apart from Xmas, Oceana carries about 50/100 kids in the Caribbean. Even with Noddy I can't see this jumping to 490 particularly a 2 week cruise in term time.

Cb

Hi Cb,

We were aboard Aurora to the Canaries, departing 8th June last year. Well out of school holiday time but there were 165 children on board of all ages - some pre-school, others not. That's why we are on Arcadia this August :)

Our children are no way well behaved, they are like you say loud and very annoying. That is why in the summer holidays I send them off to our house in France for 6 weeks with the wife. That way I can continue to work and have some piece at home. :D

Rob.

Good One!!

WOW this is great so controversial!

I like the way some subscribers are inferring their children are always well behaved! Children are by their nature loud and annoying, and adults, particularly those whose children have flown the nest, can do without them!

I don't know how people can afford to take their children on a cruise, with or without child discount!

We never took our children out of school, I think it creates a wrong impression to encourage this practice. There are more than enough school holidays to plan round and people should just cut their cloth accordingly!

Then arcadia/artemis will be right up your street!

Lou

Just read on another site a Nov cruise on Ventura has 490 children onboard:eek: can you imagine the pool area....

I'll stick to Arcadia.

Sue

I think this is the Xmas / New Year Ventura cruise because I am on it! I am contributing to the child numbers taking 2 teenage boys.

Cheers,:p

MM

• 2 weeks later...
Kate, we're going on the Arcadia in May, and guess where we're off to? Yes the Baltics. So, how old is very very old?:eek:

Mary

Sorry been off line for some time and only just picked up your post.

I would say the average age was 75+ I don't want to offend and realise that it may not appear to be that old, but the place was full of zimmers and wheelchairs!!!

We still enjoyed the holiday, but the place was dead by 10.00! I believe a holiday is what you make it and you will have a great time.

I can't understand all this fuss about children, if you don't want them on your holiday, then choose a child free ship!!! The Ventura is definately not the ship for the child adverse, it is marketed to families. Even we are a bit concerned at the numbers that may be involved - but it is worth a try!!:o

Kate

I can't understand all this fuss about children, if you don't want them on your holiday, then choose a child free ship!!! The Ventura is definately not the ship for the child adverse, it is marketed to families. Even we are a bit concerned at the numbers that may be involved - but it is worth a try!!

Kate

Hi Kate,

As you are cruising in May you should be fine, the school age kids should be in school!!!!!!!

Leaving only the under 5's who of course will be Noddy-fied.

Mind you they may be a little young for Slade.:D

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

p.s. We are not going until Jan of next year

Sorry been off line for some time and only just picked up your post.

I would say the average age was 75+ I don't want to offend and realise that it may not appear to be that old, but the place was full of zimmers and wheelchairs!!!

We still enjoyed the holiday, but the place was dead by 10.00! I believe a holiday is what you make it and you will have a great time.

I can't understand all this fuss about children, if you don't want them on your holiday, then choose a child free ship!!! The Ventura is definately not the ship for the child adverse, it is marketed to families. Even we are a bit concerned at the numbers that may be involved - but it is worth a try!!:o

Kate

Kate

When did you go on Arcadia??? Its not on your list? except for 2002 which isn't the Arcadia at sea at the moment.??

I was on there last year and the year before and the average age IS NOT 75, more like 50 .... I am 46 hubby 57 and we were surrounded by the 'left the teenagers behind gang like ourselves...

When she was first launched in 05 the oldies tried her as she was new and they wanted to see her, but they soon went back to their favourite classical ships like Oriana and Aurora. Not liking the modern contemparary feel of Arcadia.... Now she is full of returners like me, on my 3rd cruise on her in 8 weeks, who loove the amibance of a child free ship and modern tasteful decor.

Don't worry, she's fine

Sue

Just read on another site a Nov cruise on Ventura has 490 children onboard:eek: can you imagine the pool area....

I'll stick to Arcadia.

Sue

This is worrying. How can I find out how many kids will be on our cruise to the Fjords in June on the Ventura?

Nothing against kids (2 of my own are grown up now) but 490 is scary!

Gail

I think you can just ring up pando and ask the question 'how many children on my cruise so far -' about 3 or weeks before the cruise and they are able to tell you..... they even break it down into babies, toddlers children and teenagers

Sue

i find it quite strange really , every one was a child once , , there are child free ships in thefleet , so why consider a ship with children if you want a cruise without them . , i have never taken my daughter out of school for holidays , , education is important and should be regarded as such , i do feel that the companies who discount holidays or offer free places during term time should take a close look at what they do

I think if you have a young family, you are used to them whining , grizziling, shouting, and running around...... after all you have it 24/7....and are immune, you forget other people don't want to hear your kids. and I have been there and have the tshirt...I have had my fill of family camp sites, pubs with 'family rooms' which are usually grotty back rooms with a juke box and snooker table and stained sticky furniture, (well it was when my were small - they are now 20 and 22)

So now its MY TURN!!!:)

I want peace, relaxation, mature conversation and to swim in a pool without kids doing belly flops and running around screaming, and to dine with adults..... so Yes I choose Arcadia, for that reason.

Have the tshirt, done the time.....:rolleyes:

Sue

Ummm, its a weekender - just 2 nights and I am open to persuasion, I want to see a bigger ship than the two I have been on now, and see if I'll like them - I tried Aurora for the same reason - and the last 3n cruise was a bit of a problem - a young miserable baby on the next table at 2nd sitting dinner sat behind me ... and at breakfast time..

I am constantly being told that children are well behaved on cruisies , looked after very well by the clubs and usually eat at childrens teas etc, but on that cruise it seemed not.... why take a miserable over tired baby to 2nd sitting formal night??? The poor mum was reduced to tears because of the pressure of keeping the child quiet - and her husband was embarrassed , so it spoiled a lot of peoples evening not just theirs.:confused:

But I am willing to try again...I doubt very much I would cruise on Ventura for a longer 14n cruise.. but watch this space... lol

Sue

Sue

I agree meal times with young children is never nice, we tried the formal sittings only once and never again. We now use the anytime choice, and take the children to the buffet or the pizza area. Then ship them off to kids club and we can then go and enjoy a nice quite meal without them. Large ships are great for getting away from anyone, there is always an area that you can find without anyone around. Adult only pools and of course children only pools do help.

Hope you enjoy your big ship experience :)

Rob.

ps, we do take the children out on formal nights, very early (feed and get photos - then off to the kids club with them). ;)

I agree meal times with young children is never nice, we tried the formal sittings only once and never again. We now use the anytime choice, and take the children to the buffet or the pizza area. Then ship them off to kids club and we can then go and enjoy a nice quite meal without them. Large ships are great for getting away from anyone, there is always an area that you can find without anyone around. Adult only pools and of course children only pools do help.

Hope you enjoy your big ship experience :)

Rob.

ps, we do take the children out on formal nights, very early (feed and get photos - then off to the kids club with them). ;)

It would be wonderful if everyone took your approach to ensuring that not only your family but also your fellow cruisers enjoy themselves.