tipping questions- we leave in 2 weeks!!

libbieb

We are so confused! We are going on Pride Of AMerica and I know that we are charged maybe $10 a day per person or something like that. What exactly is this for ? I am assuming they will put that directly on our bill.

What about meals, do we tip in cash or can we sign something so it too goes on our ship bill. What about bars, housekeeping etc. or is this what the daily charge is for?

I guess what I need to know as well is do we need cash? Do we ever tip the staff in cash. I was hoping to not have to worry about money.

Tell me what is acceptable, 15 or 20%. Can I tip housekeeping at the end of the cruise or do I need to do daily?

Thanks for the help.

Your onboard account will be charged $10 per day per person. This is for all gratuities excepty butlers, concierges, and bartenders. Drinks automatically have a 15% gratuity on the bill.

We left a little for our room steward because he did a great job. You don't have to, though. I think we left him $20 and we did tip the waiter at the Lazy J extra because we felt he went far above and beyond. We didn't leave any other gratuities. I personally like the $10 pp per day as opposed to the "envelope method." YMMV.

This is an oft-discussed topic and there is currently another thread running about it where people far smarter than me have some good information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=699928

Tipping is really very easy, with the $10 a day service charge. That covers all normal tips. You do not need to leave anything for wait staff, housekeeping, etc.

Bar tabs also automatically include tips, so you need not worry about that either.

You will need some dollar bills to tip room service, porters, excursion leaders, and taxi drivers.

First of all, you will have a great time. We sailed the POA in November and it was fantastic. I posted my review in the CruiseCritic member reviews. You should read it! The $10.00 pppd are used for tips to cabin steward and dining room crew. You don't have to leave any more for them, but you can if you want to, depending on how you feel for their service. Frankly, I don't know why NCL confuses people with this as if this was an exclusive of theirs to charge the $10.00 pppd. Carnival charges $10.00 pppd and RCCL charges $12.00 pppd. No difference. We always tip our waiters a few bucks extra during the week, and always tip our cabin steward extra during the week as well. The only difference between NCL and the rest of the cruiselines is that NCL does not automatically charge a 15% tip included in their bar bills, so you would have to leave a cash tip, or add it to your receipt. Have a great time. Hawaii is amazing!

Archived