Jewelry shopping

craftkook

My DH is bringing home loose stones from Afghanistan just before our cruise. Has anyone ever brought stones to have them set while at one of the jewelers on St. Martin or St. Thomas. I'm a little nervous about leaving my stones to have them set. Can anyone give me a ballpark amount of the cost of the settings?

Thanks

Hi, It all depends on the metal and the weight and the type of setting that you choose. Platinum hit 1700.00 today and gold has been bouncing around 900.00 for the last week, so be prepared. Also some types of mountings suit certain stones better so make sure that you choose someone who knows what they are doing. (for instance, don't let someone try to set an emerald or tanzanite in a tension mounting) Most bench jewelers will set colored stones only at the customers risk.

My DH is bringing home loose stones from Afghanistan just before our cruise. Has anyone ever brought stones to have them set while at one of the jewelers on St. Martin or St. Thomas. I'm a little nervous about leaving my stones to have them set. Can anyone give me a ballpark amount of the cost of the settings?

Thanks

I have had stones set a number of times. Go to Touch of Gold and ask for Heeru. They have been in business in St. Maarten for more than 30 years.

I love Shiva's. When my wife was concerned about them taking her ring for some work, they let us go to the location where their bench jeweler worked, and we watched the whole process.

They are a great family to work with, and we were very happy with the work they did to my wife's ring, as well as the new rings that we bought while there.

Regards,

Chef

Archived