Liquor in Checked Luggage

a9753

We just order a bottle of Absolute through the gift department and they will have it in your room when you arrive. You can't order it on line, you must call. Carnival will also allow you to bring a couple of bottles of wine on board. Hope this helps.

Need that phone number . . . would love to have a bottle of Absolute waiting for me in my cabin when I sail on the Valor in April!!!!!! :p

Ok on our last trip on the Miracle in 2006 we brought on a box of wine. Which we flew with in our checked luggage and no problems from Carnival.

Well we booked a cruise on NCL for July and started reading thread about beer, wine, and liquor on board....bringing it on. And it appears that they are very very strict about it on that line. More along the lines if you do it, you will get caught. (WE will be driving to this port)

Then we booked this spring break on the Inspiration after that, and I was wondering about bringing on maybe some vodka and rum and maybe some beer and or wine. (We are flying in but coming down a day early)

So at this point I am just confused. What excatly can I get away with without cause undo stress on myself. Or should I just call the Bon Voyage dept and get stuff delivered to us?

And please no hoity toity types telling me how wrong I am for even thinking such a horrid thing. Real question for real people. Thanks!

From your experience, if you put 1 bottle of vodka in your checked luggage, will it get through, or will Carnival find it?

I don't think you'll encounter a problem. I once smuggled in a midget via checked luggage with ease. Well, the little dude was a little uncomfortable and annoyed having to squeeze in an already tight suitcase stuffed to the brim with booze, but we all managed and fun was had by all..

The words VACATION and HASSLE are not compatable and do not belong together!:rolleyes:

Hey Fried, trust me on this, there is NO hassle involved with packing a couple of bottles in my luggage. It is NEVER a hassle to go to Costco! Costco is FUN! But heck, any Walgreens or liquor store will do. I always fly in a day or two early so it is not like that it is a rush from the airport to the ship. For that matter, I have made so many friends cruising that it is the rare city where we don’t get met at the airport and invited to stay in a home vs a hotel. But perhaps you are right, I am an immoral thief, and when my day comes I will rot and burn in Hades, but until then, I will also bet that I get to cruise and travel more then you as well.

<<<< I can see it now, my day of judgment, all my sins and foibles are laid out before me, with most occurring in my youth. However, as an adult I show I have been involved in my Church, community, volunteer my time and lived a good, honest life. Yet, when it is shown I broke a rule (not a law or commandment) but a RULE, a policy against “smuggling” booze onto a cruise ship which is in place to CYA of the cruise line and to fatten up profits, I will be tossed into the eternal burning fire.

But speaking of rules… One comes to mind, perhaps you have heard of it… Judge not lest you be judged.

By the way... I have Jags because I like them... I don't care if you think they are high end or not! Have a nice day, I have to run, I must go start packing for my second cruise of 08.

Hey Fried, trust me on this, there is NO hassle involved with packing a couple of bottles in my luggage. It is NEVER a hassle to go to Costco! Costco is FUN! But heck, any Walgreens or liquor store will do. I always fly in a day or two early so it is not like that it is a rush from the airport to the ship. For that matter, I have made so many friends cruising that it is the rare city where we don’t get met at the airport and invited to stay in a home vs a hotel. But perhaps you are right, I am an immoral thief, and when my day comes I will rot and burn in Hades, but until then, I will also bet that I get to cruise and travel more then you as well.

<<<< I can see it now, my day of judgment, all my sins and foibles are laid out before me, with most occurring in my youth. However, as an adult I show I have been involved in my Church, community, volunteer my time and lived a good, honest life. Yet, when it is shown I broke a rule (not a law or commandment) but a RULE, a policy against “smuggling” booze onto a cruise ship which is in place to CYA of the cruise line and to fatten up profits, I will be tossed into the eternal burning fire.

But speaking of rules… One comes to mind, perhaps you have heard of it… Judge not lest you be judged.

By the way... I have Jags because I like them... I don't care if you think they are high end or not! Have a nice day, I have to run, I must go start packing for my second cruise of 08.

Nobody is JUDGING, YOU post, I post. You KNOW you are doing something WRONG, you do not need ME TO JUDGE YOU! JUDGE YOURSELF!

And I'm GLAD U like ur Jags, the point was that U bring UR Mobil1 synth oil to the dealer instead of using thiers at 3X the price, most HIGH END car service shops provide scheduled oil changes GRATIS OR FREE! So why do you need to BYOO?????????

Nobody is JUDGING, YOU post, I post. You KNOW you are doing something WRONG, you do not need ME TO JUDGE YOU! JUDGE YOURSELF!

And I'm GLAD U like ur Jags, the point was that U bring UR Mobil1 synth oil to the dealer instead of using thiers at 3X the price, most HIGH END car service shops provide scheduled oil changes GRATIS OR FREE! So why do you need to BYOO?????????

I don’t think you get it Fried... I do not think I am doing anything wrong. For that matter, nor does most of the people that have posted on this thread. In fact, you have yet to prove that breaking a “rule” that is based on nothing more then increasing profits above that the basic service provided by the cruise line and CYA is wrong.

However, Do tell, which HIGH END car dealerships provide a free oil change with Mobil 1.. Wait, Let me answer that for you... NONE.(OK, perhaps some super high end...)

I’ll keep it in mind that my XK8 R-type & my XJ8 Super are not High End, and you keep enjoying your Yugo.

So why do I BYOB… because I like to. Its fun, a game. I also enjoy having it. I spend quite a large amount of money on wine, if I BYOB, that is my concern not the Cruise Line. But if I did it just to save a buck or two.. that is also my business and as far as I am concerned, perfectly legitimate.

Maybe it's been mentioned, but we fill a couple plastic pop bottles with our liquors of choice. A few drops of super-glue "seal the deal" and make the screw caps look unopened for inspection. 20+ cruises and never had a problem, even when they took them out and looked at them. We've also hand carried wine aboard and paid a corkage fee only when we brought them to the dining room. Just remember not to put vodka in a pepsi bottle...

I always put a 18 pack of beer in a duffle bag, put the cruise room tag on it, cable tie it shut put it with the rest of the suitcases and it always ends up in my room. I go on 2 cruises a year, I never have had it taken away from me once.

Maybe it's been mentioned, but we fill a couple plastic pop bottles with our liquors of choice. A few drops of super-glue "seal the deal" and make the screw caps look unopened for inspection. 20+ cruises and never had a problem, even when they took them out and looked at them. We've also hand carried wine aboard and paid a corkage fee only when we brought them to the dining room. Just remember not to put vodka in a pepsi bottle...

If you super glue the caps closed, then how do you open them? :D

This is the method we use (but we don't glue the tops). Vodka goes in 2 liter seltzer bottle, Yukon Jack in 2 liter gingerale bottle. Put em in a jumbo ziplock

in checked luggage. Never had an issue.

On our recent Valor cruise I brought 2 bottles of wine in my carry-on and my husband brought 1 bottle of champagne in his carry-on. No one questioned whether we were together or not...

We also brought a bottle of vodka in one of our checked bags (purchased AFTER the flight from Chicago). The clerk wrapped it in bubble wrap for me and then placed it in a sturdy single-bottle sized shipping box. I had no worries at all about it breaking!

We brought all 3 bottles of wine to dinner while on the cruise- we were only charged the corkage fee once. It was in the supper club, and since the wine needed special handling (asked them to open it 2 hours before our reservation and decant it for us) we were MORE than happy to pay the corkage fee.

When our room steward saw all of the wine and our vodka, he only had 2 questions for us- did we need additional ice buckets to keep anything cold, and did we want additional glasses?

Oh yay. Here we go again.

Two camps:

1] They generally allow it, so why not?

2] But it's against the stated rules even if largely unenforced.

Here's a third camp for everyone to visit:

If you don't have to carry the added weight, why bother? They have plenty on board and it's not like they're running out any time soon. Plus, you seriously want to risk your good clothing in the same bag with a glass bottle being handled by the trained apes of TSA or Port Authority?

I can see if you have money issues and paying bar mark-ups; I can see if you have a hyper-conscience. But all the moral posturing is a waste.

So let me say to #1:

yes, they rarely check.

To #2:

Correct, it's against their stated rules.

Everybody's right. Can we just drop it now?

Not that i would ever do this;) ... but you can always use a listerine bottle, they have the white bottles... or gatorade bottles... plenty of flavors to choose from... :rolleyes:

I think I'll stick with soda bottles...no risk of the taste of Listerine!:D

I think I'll stick with soda bottles...no risk of the taste of Listerine!:D

We tried the white Listerine bottle last year. I soaked it for almost two months--the liquor still tasted like Listerine. :p We plan to take a couple of small bottles with us this time. We always spend plenty of money on Miami Vices and buckets of beer. We just like to have something in our rooms, too.

sup ladies and gentlemen, i'm posting on this thread because me and my friends will be doing the same thing on a cruise coming up (elation outta san diego on valentines day) ... and i'd like to add what i plan on doing ...

but before i begin, i just want to mention that "french fry" guy ... get a life, you f'n loser ... take a risk in life douche ...

ok, sorry for that, but it had to be said. anyways here are my options:

1) just wrap the bottles up in the middle of some t-shirts, etc ... or an extra pair of jeans, and put it in the back pocket or so ...

2) since i am taking a valentines day cruise, have a gift wrapped with valentines day paper marked with my girlfriends name, but good ol' jack daniels will be waiting for me inside the package! ;)

3) get some water bottles and pour liquour into them instead ...

also, if you lock your luggage, do they make you unlock it?

For All the ones that say " your breaking the law or rules bringing your choice of beverage on board"

your all hipocrits .... We all break some kind of law here or there.

I proved that to one of our "long time memebers" who ammitted to "California stops"

So I geuss in the end we all pick and choose whick "Rules" ... "laws" we follow.

And like the one Gentleman said... All you who say ohh its the rules ... its the rules.. would be the first ones to turn in your guns should the Govn't ask... AND be the first ones running to those of us who didn't should the Govn't become unreasonable:cool:

Archived