Scuba while the family comes along?

CVW

We're on RCCL's Freedom Aug 3-10 Western Caribbean. I'm expecting to be certified and ready for my first dive by the trip. I'm taking my wife and four young kids and would like to know if I can scuba without having to miss the whole day with them. I'm starting on the Cayman board because I know we'd like to do Stingray City as one of our excursions.

Is there a place where we could go to the stingrays first, and then head out for a dive? More specifically, is there someone who could take us out, helping me with a scuba dive, while the family either hangs out on the boat or goes snorkeling? This would include a four and six year-old, so I know this may be a tall order.

If there's nothing commercially available, would there be a private charter that could do this? (Keeping in mind that I'll be a barely-qualified diver. I start training next month.)

If not in the Caymans, what about Jamaica or Cozumel? Or should I just ditch the family and make it up to my wife later? Thanks.

Last year we took our 3 sons on the Captain Marvin's 2 stop stingray tour, then went to Eden Rock so our sons could do their first 3 open water (shore) dives (the first was a 5 minute snorkel dive) for their certification. Eden Rock is a 5 minute walk from where the tenders depart. There is good snorkeling and diving at Eden Rock but no beach for the family to hang out at. We were extremely pressed for time but it would probably work if you did a single dive. There are also some dive operators in G.C. that you could charter a boat from for $500 - I've read about them on the scuba board. Maybe they could take you to see the stingrays, then on to a scuba/snorkel spot.

In Cozumel, we have used Alison (see scubawithalison dot com) and she is great. I think she may take divers and snorkelers. She is great and comes highly recommended on the scuba board.

I don't think diving or snorkeling is a thing to do in Jamaica. Take the kids to the Falls though - it's neat. Try Marvelous Marva if you're looking for a private operator. Six of our family members spent a day with her and really enjoyed it.

I think you'll get a lot more responses on the scuba board.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone along a couple of times when my husband has done a dive. Not in Grand Cayman, but in Cozumel and Kauai. I think you would be better off having your wife and kids hang out at a beach while you do a dive. Most of the time I just book a ship's snorkeling excursion if I am alone and he is diving; otherwise we book non-ship snorkeling trips. The reason? You will be down a while, and the boat will likely anchored or moving very, very slowly, rolling back and forth a bit on the waves - even if it's a calm day. It's very easy to become seasick. And if the water is very deep, snorkelers might not be able to see much. I snorkeled around the boats when I went, but am very experienced at it. Sometimes there is just one person from the dive co. out of the water on the boat w/you and he will also have to be keeping any eye on any snorkelers who are along. You'd be better off finding a dive co. who will arrange your husband's dive before or after your Stingray City trip. Or just taking your kids on the ship's excursion while he dives w/the ship's dive excursion. This way you will meet others on the excursion from your ship - prob. w/kids along. Some dive operators will not allow anyone but the divers to go along on their dives. Good luck w/this as I have gone through this same problem before but at least had just myself to worry about.

I've gone along a couple of times when my husband has done a dive. Not in Grand Cayman, but in Cozumel and Kauai. I think you would be better off having your wife and kids hang out at a beach while you do a dive. Most of the time I just book a ship's snorkeling excursion if I am alone and he is diving; otherwise we book non-ship snorkeling trips. The reason? You will be down a while, and the boat will likely anchored or moving very, very slowly, rolling back and forth a bit on the waves - even if it's a calm day. It's very easy to become seasick. And if the water is very deep, snorkelers might not be able to see much. I snorkeled around the boats when I went, but am very experienced at it. Sometimes there is just one person from the dive co. out of the water on the boat w/you and he will also have to be keeping any eye on any snorkelers who are along. You'd be better off finding a dive co. who will arrange your husband's dive before or after your Stingray City trip. Or just taking your kids on the ship's excursion while he dives w/the ship's dive excursion. This way you will meet others on the excursion from your ship - prob. w/kids along. Some dive operators will not allow anyone but the divers to go along on their dives. Good luck w/this as I have gone through this same problem before but at least had just myself to worry about.

Hi,

you might want to check out http://www.absolutedivers.com

Mark's dive operation was #3or #4 on travelocity'stop 100 things to do in Grand Cayman. The site says Mark takes families with young children. I will be on the boat while my husband dives with Mark. He will be waiting for a call from you, and be right over to the dock to pick you up. We will write a review when we get back , after the 15 of March.

Check out the website.

Brenda

Hello,

After reading your post and just coming back from Grand Cayman where my husband and I went on a discover SCUBA excursion we privately booked I have to recommend Off the Wall Divers (now called Lobster Pot Dive Center) for what you're looking for. My DH and I had never done any scuba diving before and our instructor, Marty, did an excellent job taking care of us and showing us just what to do. I believe through reading other information at this website: http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityDiscoverScubaDiving.htm that

Off the Wall divers (www.otwdivers.com) does tours like what you are looking for. We were the only two people on our excursion but I think if you wanted to do scuba diving and your family wanted to snorkel they would send along two guides to take care of you. They do a maximum of 8 people per tour to Stingray City. I felt very good about their operation, the boat and equipment all were clean and in good order (not that I am experienced or anything with these things, but just from my personal opinion). Marty was a great guide, very patient and answering all our questions fully. He fed the stingrays squid and then I gave it a try as well. The 32 minutes we were underwater went way too quickly!!

Marty also told us a lot about living on the island, showed us some iguanas on the way back in the dive boat, and gave us a good recommendation for lunch. Two thumbs up, try giving OTW divers a call and I think you'll get exactly what you would like to do without making your wife upset at all! :o

Archived