Calling all Scuba Divers!

getoutofthecold

• 1 month later...

As far as Tortola, I would strongly suggest staying away from Sail Caribbean Divers. They were the group for the RCCL excursion to dive the Rhone in Tortola a couple weeks ago. They took us out in very heavy currents, and even though we were students, they did not check our gear, and the air tank wouldn't stay on once in the water. Additionally, the instructor did not keep a close eye on us, pushed us into going beyond our abilities and strength. For example, after fighting the current to the point where we were to submerge, I was out of breath, gasping for air, and he insisted we go down anyway, saying it would be better below water. We were unable to see most of the wreck on the first dive. They insisted the second dive would be better. Unfortunately, the current was much worse at bottom and we were unable to complete the second dive as well. On top of the complete lack of safety and professionalism, they did not offer any refund, nor any apology.

As far as Tortola, I would strongly suggest staying away from Sail Caribbean Divers. They were the group for the RCCL excursion to dive the Rhone in Tortola a couple weeks ago. They took us out in very heavy currents, and even though we were students, they did not check our gear, and the air tank wouldn't stay on once in the water. Additionally, the instructor did not keep a close eye on us, pushed us into going beyond our abilities and strength. For example, after fighting the current to the point where we were to submerge, I was out of breath, gasping for air, and he insisted we go down anyway, saying it would be better below water. We were unable to see most of the wreck on the first dive. They insisted the second dive would be better. Unfortunately, the current was much worse at bottom and we were unable to complete the second dive as well. On top of the complete lack of safety and professionalism, they did not offer any refund, nor any apology.

I would have to disagree with this post. As a diver you are ultimately responsible for the setup of your gear. If you got into the water and your gear was not setup correctly it is YOUR fault not the dive boat. You must double check your setup before you get in. If you were out of air and gasping for breath as the diver you can scrub the dive at anytime!!

I am assuming you dove the RMS Rhone from your description of the current. I did these dives on Feb 28 and it was the best wreck dive I have ever done even with the current. Divemasters were Steve and Ria and they were top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to use this dive operation again, I am even considering a trip to BVI and using them for multiple days.

I would have to disagree with this post. As a diver you are ultimately responsible for the setup of your gear. If you got into the water and your gear was not setup correctly it is YOUR fault not the dive boat. You must double check your setup before you get in. If you were out of air and gasping for breath as the diver you can scrub the dive at anytime!!

I am assuming you dove the RMS Rhone from your description of the current. I did these dives on Feb 28 and it was the best wreck dive I have ever done even with the current. Divemasters were Steve and Ria and they were top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to use this dive operation again, I am even considering a trip to BVI and using them for multiple days.

I would absolutely agree that as a regular diver, one is always responsible for their own gear. We admit to our own responsibility and lack of ensuring our gear was correct. However, as I stated above, we were student divers and therefore, ultimately unsure of our gear set-up, the area, diving with currents, deep diving, nor wreck diving (all indicated in our log books) which is why we were students and not just diving regularly. Additionally, you state the area is well-known for current, and it would be much smarter for Sail Caribbean to let students and other novice divers know this area is not the safest place for them.

As far as dumping the dive myself when I became out of breath, my instructor indicated I would do better once under. He is much more experienced, knowledgeable, and supposedly knows the safest and best way to dive which is why we paid so much extra for the dive lessons during the excursion. Unfortunately, he was wrong.

For those that are used to diving those conditions, it is quite possible SC can do an excellent job. For those doing ship excursions (as ours was) (which are usually the newer divers as experienced divers supposedly tend to find their own tours rather than the cattle boat dives), and for those that are new to diving, we just simply recommend other more safe options based upon the facts stated in our original post.

Archived