Looking for name of cruise terminal

denalialaska

Does anyone know where a person can find the names of each cruise terminal?

For our upcoming cruise out of San Diego in April, I want to find the closest hotel / rental car agency to the ship. But in order to do a search, I need to know the name of the terminal or the area of the city in which the ship ports. For instance, in New York, the area is called Red Hook.

I have looked on the Princess website, but if it's there, I can't seem to find it. Would appreciate any advice.:confused: Thank you in advance.

The cruise terminal is downtown on Harbor Drive, in between the downtown/Gaslamp district and the airport. The airport car rental agencies are all within a mile; hotels in the downtown or Gaslamp or airport vicinity are all very close to the port. There's a Holiday Inn directly across the street; I think it's the Holiday Inn Bayside. My sister lives in SD and I'm there a few times a year - great city!

Does anyone know where a person can find the names of each cruise terminal?

For our upcoming cruise out of San Diego in April, I want to find the closest hotel / rental car agency to the ship. But in order to do a search, I need to know the name of the terminal or the area of the city in which the ship ports. For instance, in New York, the area is called Red Hook.

I have looked on the Princess website, but if it's there, I can't seem to find it. Would appreciate any advice.:confused: Thank you in advance.

It is all very close together, the airport, the cruise pier, lots of hotels along Harbor Drive and in that area to choose from. We were just there a few weeks ago and rented a car from Enterprise. We stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and Marina on Harbor Island Drive. Enterprise comes through and picks you up to take you to their location, which is their airport location. We got the car there, and arranged to drop it off at the "F" street location. Airport location - great service, nice people. "F' street - well, live and learn, never again. The drop is in an underground parking garage, the person checking in was terribly unprofessional and the noise level was way too high. The reason for the drop off at F street was the transport to the pier. We had to wait about 45 minutes for someone to show up to provide the transport. Luggage was loaded in the bed of a pickup truck. Never again.

In the future we will simply return to the airport location, take the shuttle back to the hotel and take a 3 minute cab ride to the pier.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise, and can spend a few days in San Diego pre-cruise. It is a wonderful city, and there is so much to see and do. We love Sea World, the Wild Animal Park (rental car necessary), Balboa Park, C Level and Island Prime restaurants, a trip over to Coronado Island and the Hotel Del, a drive out on Point Loma to the Cabrillo Monument, checking out La Jolla, there is just so much to do depending on what floats your boat!

It is all very close together, the airport, the cruise pier, lots of hotels along Harbor Drive and in that area to choose from. We were just there a few weeks ago and rented a car from Enterprise. We stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and Marina on Harbor Island Drive. Enterprise comes through and picks you up to take you to their location, which is their airport location. We got the car there, and arranged to drop it off at the "F" street location. Airport location - great service, nice people. "F' street - well, live and learn, never again. The drop is in an underground parking garage, the person checking in was terribly unprofessional and the noise level was way too high. The reason for the drop off at F street was the transport to the pier. We had to wait about 45 minutes for someone to show up to provide the transport. Luggage was loaded in the bed of a pickup truck. Never again.

In the future we will simply return to the airport location, take the shuttle back to the hotel and take a 3 minute cab ride to the pier.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise, and can spend a few days in San Diego pre-cruise. It is a wonderful city, and there is so much to see and do. We love Sea World, the Wild Animal Park (rental car necessary), Balboa Park, C Level and Island Prime restaurants, a trip over to Coronado Island and the Hotel Del, a drive out on Point Loma to the Cabrillo Monument, checking out La Jolla, there is just so much to do depending on what floats your boat!

ggprincess - thanks for the details of your experience :D - that's very helpful - unfortunately we aren't going to have a lot of time before or after our cruise - so every minute we save making transitions from airport to hotel to rental car to ship etc will help add to our experience being enjoyable

We will have the evening before and the morning of the cruise and then all morning and part of the afternoon when we disembark to enjoy the San Diego area. Hoping to take in the zoo and another attraction or two during that time. I will look into Balboa Park and the Wild Animal Park. (might be kinda fun since we live in Alaska and have our own version of "wild animals".)

Thanks for your suggestions. Especially the tip about the "F" street location of Enterprise. :eek:

Thank you, Janet. I really appreciate your time. May I ask how you found that?

I did a search on Yahoo or Google for "San Diego cruise terminal" and that's what I came up with. We are going there in May for a 2-day to Ensenada and back on the Dawn Princess.

ggprincess - thanks for the details of your experience :D - that's very helpful - unfortunately we aren't going to have a lot of time before or after our cruise - so every minute we save making transitions from airport to hotel to rental car to ship etc will help add to our experience being enjoyable

We will have the evening before and the morning of the cruise and then all morning and part of the afternoon when we disembark to enjoy the San Diego area. Hoping to take in the zoo and another attraction or two during that time. I will look into Balboa Park and the Wild Animal Park. (might be kinda fun since we live in Alaska and have our own version of "wild animals".)

Thanks for your suggestions. Especially the tip about the "F" street location of Enterprise. :eek:

Honestly, with such a limited time you might want to eliminate the Wild Animal Park from your consideration and think about a tour of the Midway, which is the next pier from the cruise terminal. Just for fun, if you actually rent a car, you might want to drive over to Coronado Island and check out the Hotel Del (to say you have been there) and walk the beach area. There are lots of nice restaurants over on Coronado, but I don't know what the situation will be over there on a Saturday night without a reservation - you might do just fine, just not sure as we never risked it.

Honestly, with such a limited time you might want to eliminate the Wild Animal Park from your consideration and think about a tour of the Midway, which is the next pier from the cruise terminal. Just for fun, if you actually rent a car, you might want to drive over to Coronado Island and check out the Hotel Del (to say you have been there) and walk the beach area. There are lots of nice restaurants over on Coronado, but I don't know what the situation will be over there on a Saturday night without a reservation - you might do just fine, just not sure as we never risked it.

Thanks, again ggprincess. Funny thing is that my DH just asked me about Navy ship tours. He was in the the Marines and would love to see the Midway. We will do that in the morning before boarding the ship. The evening before, I think we will check out Coronado for a walk on the beach and dinner. Do you have any specific restaurants in mind?

Thanks, again ggprincess. Funny thing is that my DH just asked me about Navy ship tours. He was in the the Marines and would love to see the Midway. We will do that in the morning before boarding the ship. The evening before, I think we will check out Coronado for a walk on the beach and dinner. Do you have any specific restaurants in mind?

The prices at the Hotel Del are pretty high, there are a few places near by and I wish I could remember the name of the seafood restaurant we enjoyed with a rather large group of friends last August. Let me do a google search and see if I can come up with it.

Coronado Boathouse - you would need to make a reservation there but I think you would enjoy the dining experience. Just google it for the phone number, etc.

If you have a good GPS it will be helpful in navigating the drive from your hotel over to Coronado, etc., we take ours along everywhere. (Her name is Jill and she gets away with telling my DH where to go all the time!)

Have a great cruise!

denalialaska, most of the airport car rental agencies will drop you off at the cruise ship for free. For example in December we rented from Thrifty, - they dropped the people off at the airport first (5 min detour)and then took us directly to the cruise ship

Archived