Just back from cruising with 3 yr old - Questions?

fligster

We just got back from a 4 day Carnival Fascination cruise with our 3 year old son. This was a little "start cruise" to see how he would do. He loved it. We left from Miami, and stopped in Key West and Cozumel. I will try to do a review in the next couple of days. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

What did you think of your Carnival experience verses your past RCCL/Celebrity experience?

When is your next cruise? ;)

I prefer RCCL/Celebrity. I know we were on an older ship, but the interior decor just seemed "gloomy" and "dark" to me. The room was ok, since we had a suite and the rooms had been made over last year. I will say that Carnival Embarkation/Debarkation was very smooth and easy. On our last RCCL, the debarkation was a bit of a mess with waiting for luggage etc. But the tender process in Cozumel was terrible, where on RCCL the tender process seemed to be better organized.

I didn't think the food on Carnival was that great, but from the boards it seems like food quality may be down on all lines (since our last cruise was 3 years ago).

The only reason we chose Carnival was that they take non potty trained kids in Camp Carnival, whereas most other lines don't in their programs. When we booked the cruise in September our son wasn't quite there, and we weren't sure if he would be by January. Happily with the new year he has completed the process and is fully potty trained.

Our next cruise is an 8 day RCCL Explorer of the Seas from Cape Liberty in May. I think after that we are going to try NCL, because I think freestyle may be better for traveling with our son, as well as they seem to have kids menu available in a casual setting all the time. We had an issue with getting kids food on Carnival. The only place was either in the dining room, or if you had the child eat with Camp Carnival staff.

That was pretty much our experience too. The embark/debark was easy. The food to us was good. The cabin was nice cause we had a suite. The kids loved camp carnival.

But the ships, on a whole, seem dark.

Or on the flip side, the decorations seem garish.

Did Fascination make their upgrades yet with the adult only area? Or is there still a kids pool?

That was pretty much our experience too. The embark/debark was easy. The food to us was good. The cabin was nice cause we had a suite. The kids loved camp carnival.

But the ships, on a whole, seem dark.

Or on the flip side, the decorations seem garish.

Did Fascination make their upgrades yet with the adult only area? Or is there still a kids pool?

Fascination hasn't had its pool areas upgraded yet. There was a kids pool in the back. I found the ship confusing to get around. It didn't help that the labels in the elevators didn't match the actual floors. For example, it would say photos were on a certain deck, and they were actually on a different deck. The nice thing was they had little pocket cards that folded out to show a side view of the ship with the deck layouts.

Archived