Monarch of the Seas Cruise in Review 2008

stacyeb

I found this site so helpful, I thought I would submit my own review. Maybe I can help someone else.

My husband & I took the 4 night cruise on Monarch of the Seas on January 21st. We have cruised with Royal several times, but this was our first west coast trip. We have always done the Bahamas run out of Florida. This was also our first trip to California. So please keep this in mind when reading this post.

We flew into to LAX on Sunday. We booked the Fly & Sail package from Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. A bit pricey, but the room was HUGE - we just needed to sleep there and recieved a corner room with office - living room combo. The big issue for us was the transportation. This package included our shuttle from LAX to the hotel, the hotel to the cruise port and then the cruise port to LAX when we returned. From what I hear it is a $45 cost from the airport to the port and vice versa. We also recieved some other perks a relaxation kit complete with a relaxing cd to fall alseep to. We also received a complimentary glass of wine and the breakfast buffet - (which was nothing to write home about). Not knowing what to expect, we were pleasantly surprised with the area. We even took a walk along a walking path down by the marina. I felt completely safe. So all in all, pricey, but worth it if you are unfarmilar witht he area and want an easy transition.

Went to the port around 11 and recieved our health form. I don't remember this from past cruises. Basically they are concerned about the spread of the flu. We recieved a boarding card number and were called by it to go through security. Again something I don't recall from my other cruises, but it went very quickly and smooth.

We were greeted with beverages right at the door and the vacation officially began. I was surprised with the time of year that it was a full ship. The ship was clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. We wandered and got our bearings. Our luggage never made it to our room, other people had their luggage outside their stateroom. A lot of luggage was still in the lobby by the elevators of our deck 2, so when we realized our luggage wasn't delivered to our room we just went down and got it. For us it was not a big deal it was only 2p.m.We left port a bit late. I always enjoy watching us leave port, but our dinner was scheduled at 5:30p.m., so we watched from our dining window.

Let me say something about dinner. We had a wondeful waiter, Clayton, and Marion was our "new" assistant waiter (in training). Both men were pleasant, but not as personable as I have had in the past. Marion always greeted us with a HUGE smile and was really learning on the job. Now the placement of our table was interesting. We were at table 148 and were placed in a small room off the main dining room. I was a bit disappointed at first to be seperated fromthe main dining room, but I really ended up enjoying the privacy. The room would be perfect for a group dining of around 18 people. The decor - eeh. The chairs seemed to be office chairs not the elegance of the dining room. Also I choose to sit by the window, but with the configuration of the room - this required my husband to pass all my food down to me - kind of like home. But Clayton made up for the decor and arrangements in speed. I have never been served so quickly before. We would be leaving when some people would just be beginning their entree. Quality of food was good, not great - but hey I wasn't cooking so it was fine for me. As for the atmosphere - I'll touch on that later in this review.

Our trip was solely for rest and relaxation and we were able to accomplish it.

Ports:

San Diego - sunny and low 60's - Took an amazing self guided tour of the Midway Aircraft carrier. Took about 2 1/2 hours and we didn't see everything. We tuled around the town - clean and beautiful. Went back to the ship - napped and enjoyed watching the poolside antics. Though it was too cool to go swimming. Several people were in the hot tub, but it was always too crowded for me.

Catalina - cloudy and high 50's - The tendering was WILD. We had HUGE swells that sent the tender a rocking. Many people got back on the ship before the tender left because it was too rough. Took a horseback trail ride with Catalina Stables. We were able to walk there from the dock. It was just the two of us and a guide. We opted for the 1 hr plus ride at $62 a person. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Spike, our guide, was down to earth and shared a lot about the island and the horses. HIGHLY recomended - tell them the Becker's from Ohio said "Hi". Do call ahead and make a reservation. We stayed ahead of the game and missed the rain.

Ensenada - cloudy and cool - We walked into town and did some browsign and a little shopping. Bought my husband a new wedding ring. I think we got a really good deal, but haven't research the ring specifically yet. (It was a ship reccomended jewelry store). I was delighted to see sea lions on an old ship sunning themselves just off the port side of the ship. My zoom on my camera worked well and I didn't even need to pay for an excursion.

Ok now to the cruise experience. Every employee was wonderful, friendly and kind. Now the guests were a different story. I was shocked to experience or witness the rudeness of fellow guests. We weren't the only two noticing this. The first night we were very crowded in the theater. Lady #1 was sitting next to my husband on the second level and actually had someone crawl between her, the table and the glass barrier and sat on lady #1's feet. I am not kidding! The rest of her family stood behind my husband and lady #1 with their hands on the back's of their chairs (for almost the entire show). The people sitting behind them asked them to sit down and then got a crew member. This crew member told them they couldn't stand there and pretty much ignored them. There was more, but I won't even get into it. Our dinner companions also had difficulty at the first show. There are several seats located directly behind columns. Our companions were sitting bt one. Someone came and sat there and then leaned on our dinner companion for the entire show. She said her seat must have been a seat for two. The rudeness was just always right there. We had someone sitting by us evesdrop on our conversation, interupt our conversation to criticized the town in which we live. Shall I continue onto to share the people who cut or go the wrong direction in the buffet line and then complains to you (who the cut off) that there aren't enough meatballs. Crazy!!

Luckily we chose to eat in breakfast in the dining room seveal times and we always we delighted with the new people we met. Redemption.

This is a very casual cruise from what we are used to. In the dining room there were baseball hats and t-shirts. I knew I had read it was casual, but I was still surprised. Be prepared to pack your patience to use with the other guests. It seems to be all about the Bingo and the food!! Most of the guest seem to be from California and this is a nice getaway for them. We enjoyed the ports, most of the people and loved the employees. We were definately in the minority being in our late 30's - but would take this cruise again. It was perfect for the relaxation we needed!!

Great Review!! Thanks for taking the time to post it. What cabin did you have? Just wondering for the luggage delivery purpose. We have done this cruise a few time and always love it. We are also in our 30's (late) but always seem to have a great time. I am taking my mom on this cruise in Oct. and can't wait! Glad you had a good time.

Sorry about the rudeness of your fellow passengers. We're from SoCal and have cruised the Monarch twice this year. We didn't experience any rude passengers, and made some wonderful friends. In fact, all the other passengers we met on both cruises were great. Too bad you had to suffer from the inconsideration of others (the people in the theater sound unbelievable!); let's hope this doesn't become a trend for cruises out of San Pedro. Glad the staff served you well. The staff on the Monarch has a reputation for great service; they're part of what makes the Monarch such a great ship to sail. We'll be sad to see her move to Florida next fall.

How was the rest of your trip to Southern California?

Wow fast response!! We were in 2118. We actually like it on the lower deck with our little port hole. We are hardly ever in our room and the price is right. Most people on our deck seemed to have thier luggage. We were probably next, but why not help out when you can. It really wasn't a big deal - we saw it there - so why not.

We took a lovely walk in San Pedro. Got inspired for some design ideas for our small town. But other than that we were either on the ship or at the airport. Oh So CAl, does that include San Diego. We loved the town. We just walked and walked. Loved the cleanliness and design. Would like to return for a longer stay some day.

I just realized I didn't even tell you about the people at the farewell performance. They were talking through out the show and began laughing and being really loud during Whitney's breath taking solo. My husband saw a crew member talk to them and they left the theater shortly after. When the lights went up, he realized it was the captian!!

I hope that I didn't give anyone the impression that these guests ruined my trip. I was surprised, but it did add to the people watching experience and to the stories I can share. Luckily, the sweet people we met at breakfast and our dinner table mates were delightful.

Thanks for the review. We are hopping on the Monarch in Feb, hope the rude folks will be staying home for that cruise.

For disembarkment - what time were you able to get off. We have a flight from LAX at 1pm and am trying to figure out what time to book the shuttle folks to get us from the pier to LAX.

Thanks.

We went for the express departure because we had an early flight. So we carried our own luggage and were off the boat by 7 a.m. and our shuttle wasn't picking us up until 8:15 a.m. (Prime Time - was our shuttle service). We were at the airport in plenty of time for our 11:10 flight.

Regular departure began disembarking probably around 7:25 or so. When we went outside to meet our shuttle at 8 and the first departures were just getting their luggage.

Hope this helps!!

Archived