Barcelona Hotels - Recommendations (merged)

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz which is situated near the top of the Ramblas. The rooms are very modern with superby bathrooms. The great benefit of the Hotel Jazz is the small swimming pool on the roof. Marvellous views over Barcelona. A very good breakfast buffet was also included. Many excellent restaurants also in that area.

DH and I need some help with a hotel in Barcelona. This will be for 4 nights, post-cruise. We've never been to Barcelona, so we don't know anything about location of hotels, restaurants, where it's safe, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You've been pointed a good thread. Also check out the sister site, tripadvisor.com

Barcelona is a wonderful city -- one of my favorites --- the biggest negative is that if Pick-pocketing and Purse Snatching were Olympic events Barcelona could take on the rest of the world and probably win. For some reason, it has become a mecca for cutpurses. Very little violent crime, but quite a bit of petty theft directed at tourists. So, please use common sense ... only carry what you need, leave important stuff in the hotel safe, and pay attention.

My two favorite places are the Miro and City History Museums. Others will chime in with their favorite spots.

DH and I need some help with a hotel in Barcelona. This will be for 4 nights, post-cruise. We've never been to Barcelona, so we don't know anything about location of hotels, restaurants, where it's safe, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Check out Hotel 1898...love this hotel and location! It's my number one choice in accommodations...nothing is free but it is SOOOO worth it if you can afford it

Thanks for the heads-up on the pick pocketers. I think that the Hotel 1898 looks simply wonderful, but more than we want to spend after the cruise. Any other suggestions?

Perhaps you could give us a price range that you are comfortable with ? This will alleviate you getting alot of suggestions that are not going to work for you :)

Or..... if you have any club memberships or frequent user points you can use you might want to consider using them here. Hotels in Europe are on the expensive side altho cheaper ones can be found.

We stayed at Le Meridien right on Las Ramblas (the main tourist boulevard) for 1 night post cruise. This is a Starwood property (Sheraton)and you can use points there. It is in a great location....very nice hotel. We walked all the way to the end near the marina and the Columbus statue and back. Then walked halfway down again for dinner at a nice tapas bar.

I done a lot of research on hotel prices in Barcelona .. and I think the most thrifty thing to do is rent an apartment if you are staying there for more than 3 nights (they usually have minimum 3 night stay requirements). There are an abundance of them available .. you can google it and you'll get a bunch of sites. We booked for a week before our cruise - small apartment just off Las Ramblas for a great price using http://www.desigbarcelona.com. They answered all my questions really quickly and seem to be pleasant to deal with so far. Good luck!

I done a lot of research on hotel prices in Barcelona .. and I think the most thrifty thing to do is rent an apartment if you are staying there for more than 3 nights (they usually have minimum 3 night stay requirements). There are an abundance of them available .. you can google it and you'll get a bunch of sites. We booked for a week before our cruise - small apartment just off Las Ramblas for a great price using http://www.desigbarcelona.com. They answered all my questions really quickly and seem to be pleasant to deal with so far. Good luck!

There seem to be several choices. Which one did you stay at?

There is wonderful thread going started by BCNLady. There are about 24 pages of useful info about Barcelona. It is under this Europe forum but you'll have to move down a little to find it. I started today and I still have several pages to read through but have already found it more than useful.

We'll be there post cruise next May with another couple and think we are leaning towards the apartment idea. Another web site to try for apartments is urbanflats.com. I found some interesting things there.

We´ve stayed in an appartment booked via freestanza.com.

Our appartment was in Barceloneta (Sant Miquel) which is close to Port Vell and offers many possibilities to eat out at night at a reasonable price.

But they also have more central appartments.

We stayed precruise one night in Barcelona(June 1, 2008) at the Silken Ramblas Hotel. After I bid and booked this on Priceline, I noticed the price was less on the Priceline site without bidding about a week later. I called Priceline, and was refunded much more than the difference. The hotel was modern, great location, clean and the staff were very nice. There is a small roof top pool. Being only a couple, I'm unsure if they had rooms for four, but you could check. After reading many articles regarding pickpocket/purse snatchings, I was concerned about the problem, however, we had NO problems and heard of no one on our cruise who had. Barcelona is a great city to visit, and the hotel is a short walk to the hop on hop off tour bus starting point. With the credit back to our account, our room was around $125 USD. Taxi from the airport to the Ramblas hotels is 25 - 30 Euros.

We will be staying at the Hotel Montecarlo this November. The cost seemed reasonable for the accommodations. They were recommended to me by people her on Cruise Critic and they also had a good rating on Trip Advisor. They are right on Las Ramblas.

Please let us know if you liked the hotel; we'll be in BCN next Aug (2009).

Thanks

Kathy:)

After researching both hotels and apartments for our 4 night pre-cruise stay in September, we decided on an apartment hotel. We made reservations at Aparthotel Napols, (www.napols.net or www.aparthotel@napols.net) although there are many to choose from. We wanted to be off Las Ramblas, and more in a residental setting.

The one or two bedroom apartments, with living room and dining area, while not luxurious, are very clean and spacious, and gives us the option of a kitchen. The price was less than many of the hotels that seem to be so popular.

Mary

We have stayed in several hotels in Barcelona and the best by far was the H10 Montcada. We used easytobook.com and got the "pleasure package" for about 120 euros. The package includes a bigger room, bottle of cava, strawberries, upgraded toiletries, robes and slippers and a full buffet breakfast. They have a lovely roof terrace with a hot tub and bar. We would stay again if we could the same deal.

Hi, Texan-

Leaving on Monday, staying at Le Meridien on Tuesday night, prior to boarding on Wednesday. Any suggestions for restaurants, things to see, especially on Las Ramblas? thanks in advance for any info!

Paula

Paula...... lucky you !!!!! I'm jealous.

Definately take a taxi over to Sagrada Familia...... it is something to see ! Taxi is fast and cheap. When dh went to checkout the elevator line (to go up top) I sat on the outside (the back side) and just studied the walls...... so many cool things carved into it. Keep looking and more and more pop out at you. Amazing.

After we returned from Sagrada Familia we walked all the way to the end of Las Ramblas. DH went up in the Columbus statue. Only 3 people can fit in the elevator at one time...... nu uh.... no way Jose Not me !!!! Again I sat downstairs :D and people watched. Flea market near the marina...... lots of street performers, souvenier booths etc. etc. Just stroll.

We just kept looking at the outside menus at tapas restaurants until we found one we liked and went in....no reservations required. This was a post cruise stay for us - 1 night before we flew home. To be honest I was tired by this time - didnt want any "agenda" or reservations to stick to. Worked great for us.

Have a great trip !

We are just back from Barcelona and stayed at the Duquesa de Cardona hotel on the Passeig de Colom. It was great, a small boutique hotel with a rooftop terrace and bar (and very small pool.) The hotel was only a couple of blocks from the bottom of Las Ramblas and looks out on the marina. It was an easy walk to the harborfront restaurants -- we walked over to El Merendero de la Mari for dinner (we had made a reservation in advance) and had a great meal overlooking the harbor as the sun went down. It was a great start to our cruise...

Texancruzer-

We're going over a few days pre-cruise and are also staying at Le Meridien. We were finally able to wipe out all of our points. I decided to do it right and we got a junior suite. You're the first person on this board that I saw stayed there. I was getting a little nervous. Did you eat in the hotel?

Brianne

Brianne: OOOOOOO A junior suite ??? I am jealous. Actually the rooms are very nice. Modern style and the bed was heavenly..... I feel asleep and didnt move at all it was so comfy. Lights all have dimmers and also had one that will come on real low if you get out of bed during the night so you can see your way around ;) I liked that.

Staff was great. Ate in the hotel once... breakfast .... wasn't real impressed but wasn't bad either. There are tons of places to eat all along Las Ramblas. Breakfast - lunch - dinner - snack.... don't remember exactly how far down but fantastic bakery type place. Same side of the road but down a ways. Ask the front desk clerk - they will know.

I have seen others who have stayed at Le Meridien..... but seems to be a bit pricey for most. This was the end of our trip (post cruise stay) and dh's birthday too..... wanted someplace nice.

I don't think you will be disappointed :)

We're staying at Le Meridien in exactly 3 weeks, 6 days and about 4 hours! Precruise for 2 nights. Super excited. Just wish they had a pool and id be even more thrilled. We booked a regular room but perhaps as starwood members, a batting of the eyelashes and a poor but humble attempt at the catalan language, an upgrade. The hotel and rooms look very nice and Ive only heard very nice things about their "heavenly" beds. We chose this hotel over the Apsis Atrium and their pool for their reputation and location. Im sure we'll enjoy our precruise stay.

Enjoy... i cant wait to return and provide a play by play to repay all who have chimed in on my endless questions.

Nora

Archived