Carnival's Hopewell Rocks or Saint Martins tour?

We are wondering which tour would be better. We are looking for something the kids would be interested in. We have 2 boys ages 11 & 13. The Hopewell Rocks is a much longer tour (9 hours) and more expensive than the Saint Martins tour. Anybody have any thoughts? If there is something else that might to be good for the kids, we are open to suggestions.:)

We are wondering which tour would be bsetter. We are looking for something the kids would be interested in. We have 2 boys ages 11 & 13. The Hopewell Rocks is a much longer tour (9 hours) and more expensive than the Saint Martins tour. Anybody have any thoughts? If there is something else that might to be good for the kids, we are open to suggestions.:)

St. Martins is about 45 minutes from Saint John. If the excursion is timed to be there at low tide or when it is almost out, then the boys would love walking out over the beach to the sea caves. It is a very rocky beach so wear sturdy shoes. Sandals might cause you to slip. Part way out to the caves there is a small brook, to cross but there is usually a board there to balance your way across on. After you see the caves there is a restaurant on the beach where you can get a snack. You can then walk up to the two covered bridges----less than 10 minutes. Kids seem to love the bridges and at low tide all the fishing boats in the harbour are bottomed out and lying on their sides. St. Matin's is a photographer's dream.

The Hopewell Rocks are also quite interesting, but they are more than two hours away on the bus. It may not look like so long on the map but once you leave the main highway, there is a long 2 lane stretch. There is an interpretatation centre to visit and then you walk down the stairs to the beach and view the rock formations. While Hopewell is very scenic, if your boys are active they will burn off more energy on the trip to St. Martins. St. Martins is one of my favourite places for a Sunday drive.

Your boys would truly love the jet boat ride through the Reversing Falls here in Saint John. I haven't done it personally but then I am not 13 and not very brave. They will get wet so bring a change of clothes. The falls are not really a waterfall ---they are very extreme rapids-----or not, depending on the stage of the tide. Therefore you can schedule your ride according to your degree of bravery. If it is a nice day you can walk to the falls from the ship by going along the Harbour Passage. The volunteers who greet all the cruise ships will be happy to point you in the right direction.

If you look back a few pages on this board you will find a thread headed "FAQs about Saint John" It was started by Acey and it a great source of local information.

Enjoy your trip!!!

I appreciated your responses. Thnaks for your help with this. Your detailed information is great!

I've been a little nervous about this cruise, since a friend that took it last year said it was not too interesting for her 12 year old son. This friend only walked around the port area, so I thought it would be better to have something planned.

I have looked at the faqs thread, which is a great help, too. I printed it to bring along, too. It sounds like either going to Saint Martins or taking the Jet Boat Ride is the way to go for our family.

I was trying to see if we would be at Saint Martins at low tide. According to the Tide Tables for August 16, 2008, low tide is 6:18 AM and 6:31 PM. High tide is 12:02 AM and 12:24 PM. We don't have excursion times, yet, but does this mean we won't be there during low tide? How long does low tide last? Is it easy to go on our own or better to book through the ship?

For the Jeb Boat ride, I don't think Carnival will let chilren less than 13 participate, so I think we would have to go on our own for this. I want the boys to have fun, so I will look at the website posted in the FAQs thread. I'm not much of a thrill-seeker, though. I guess I'll have to see if we will be there for low tide, too.

We also thought we might try one of the seafood restaurants that have been mentioned, like Billy's.

I'm looking forward to visiting this port. Any other information you have would be appreciated, too. Thanks!:)

Did you consider the Canada Games Aquatic Centre 3 blocks from the ship?

It has an Olympic size pool, 2 leisure pools, hot tubs, tarzan rope, water slide, pool toys, diving boards and platforms - would be a great place for your kids all for around $5 each.

The Canada Games Aquatic Centre sounds like a great idea, too. It's reasonably priced, too. I hadn't heard of it. Can you walk to it, since it's only 3 blocks? Is there a website where I can get more information about this? Maybe we can do this with one of the shorter excursions since I think we are in port for 11 hours. :)

The Canada Games Aquatic Centre sounds like a great idea, too. It's reasonably priced, too. I hadn't heard of it. Can you walk to it, since it's only 3 blocks? Is there a website where I can get more information about this? Maybe we can do this with one of the shorter excursions since I think we are in port for 11 hours. :)

The website is www.aquatics.nb.ca Yes you can walk easily from wherever your ship docks. I look down on the pool area from the pedway system as I walk through and think I would love to try the "Tarzan" rope and swing into the pool. Again--I am not 13 and not brave!!! You could easily work a jetboat ride and a trip to the Aquatic Centre into your port day. You can also walk from the pool to Billy's Seafood without going outdoors--just go through the pedway system to the old City Market and Billy's is located just at the uphill end of the market, between the two set of doors to the outside.

As to your question re the tides-------There are two complete tide cycles every 24 hours, with about six hours between each high and low. Therefore it is about 12 hours from high tide until it is high tide again. As soon as the tide reaches its lowest point, it starts to come in again. The caves at St. Martins are reachable before the tide goes completly out. I prefer to walk out there on a falling tide as once the tide is noticibly coming in, it is prudent to leave the beach as it can come in ahead of you and cut you off. There is nobody there to advise you when to leave. It is all a matter of your own judgement. The tidal range here is around 40 feet, give or take, depending on the phases of the moon.

Sapper1--Thanks for all the information! It's great that you live right there! I will check the websites, and talk with my family to see what they want to do. Going to the Aquatic Center, the Jet Boat and Billy's sounds like it might be a good plan! I'm a little scared about the Jeb Boat, too, so I hope the ride won't be too wild! I would like to check out the reversing fall, though. The kids like to be kept busy, and we'd like this to be a memorable port stop. We've only taken Carribean/Beach type cruises in the past, so this will be very different for us.

It's hard for me to understand the tides, but your information is very helpful. I'll have to see when the excursions are offered and see if the time is close to low tide. I guess if it's a morning excursion, it may still be relatively low. Saint Martins sounds very nice, too, so it's still a possibility for us. Can you just take a cab there, or is it better to get transportation through the cruise ship?

Thanks, again! :)

Sapper1--Thanks for all the information! It's great that you live right there! I will check the websites, and talk with my family to see what they want to do. Going to the Aquatic Center, the Jet Boat and Billy's sounds like it might be a good plan! I'm a little scared about the Jeb Boat, too, so I hope the ride won't be too wild! I would like to check out the reversing fall, though. The kids like to be kept busy, and we'd like this to be a memorable port stop. We've only taken Carribean/Beach type cruises in the past, so this will be very different for us.

It's hard for me to understand the tides, but your information is very helpful. I'll have to see when the excursions are offered and see if the time is close to low tide. I guess if it's a morning excursion, it may still be relatively low. Saint Martins sounds very nice, too, so it's still a possibility for us. Can you just take a cab there, or is it better to get transportation through the cruise ship?

Thanks, again! :)

OK here's the deal------I phoned Diamond Taxi (506-648-8888) and they told me that they haven't set their prices for excursions from the cruise dock for this year yet but last year they charged $50.00 Canadian per hour, all taxes in. You can bet, with the price of fuel that there will be a hefty increase this year. I estimated about 45 minutes out to Saint Martins. You will spend at least an hour getting out to the caves, exploring and coming back in. Then you will want to walk through the covered bridges, check out the gift stores, eat etc. Seems to me that the price could get right up there with the cruise ship prices. Bear in mind that Saint John taxi cabs are ,to be kind, well used.

If you should decide to go with the cab, make sure he gets right on Highway 1 (the divided highway) right off of Crown Street and doesn't take you through the city and out the Loch Lomond Road through all the city traffic lights. (Tick, tick, tick) He should take the St. Martins exit at Rothesay and then the airport access road out to join the Loch Lomond Road to St Martins. If you turn right on Water Street coming out of the ship, that turns into Crown Street and after about 2kms, and a few traffic lights you will come to the highway overpass. Check it out on google maps. It is easy to follow.

sapper1, I appreciate all your research. I agree, the cost of fuel will definitely have an impact. It definitely sounds best to go through the cruise line if we are doing the Saint Martins tour. If we do get a cab, I'll make sure to follow your suggestions.

I asked the kids about the jet boat ride. I was surprised that they are a little cautious about it. Do think it's dangerous? I haven't had a chance to check out their website (hopefully, I will soon). That may help with our decision. My younger son loved the idea of going to the Aquatic center. I'm so happy you and Acey gave us that suggestion, too! Maybe we could do the Saint Martins tour and the Aquatic Center. That would make for a fun day for everyone!:)

sapper1, I appreciate all your research. I agree, the cost of fuel will definitely have an impact. It definitely sounds best to go through the cruise line if we are doing the Saint Martins tour. If we do get a cab, I'll make sure to follow your suggestions.

I asked the kids about the jet boat ride. I was surprised that they are a little cautious about it. Do think it's dangerous? I haven't had a chance to check out their website (hopefully, I will soon). That may help with our decision. My younger son loved the idea of going to the Aquatic center. I'm so happy you and Acey gave us that suggestion, too! Maybe we could do the Saint Martins tour and the Aquatic Center. That would make for a fun day for everyone!:)[/quote

I am too much of a chicken to do the Jet Boat and I have a very healthy respect for the Falls. That does not make it dangerous. It has operated for many years and delighted many people. I think it is a decision one has to make for oneself. I have been through the falls many times on a sailboat under power at slack tide. That occurs during each tide cycle when the river and the harbour are both at the same level. They are passable for about 20 minutes each slack tide. Even then, the currents are quite swift.

I remember a few years ago when an American sailor who forgot about the time difference between here and Maine, calculated when slack tide would be and tried to go through the Falls into the river on a falling tide. He wound up on the evening TV news being rescued as he could not push upstream against the current and he didn't dare turn around.

Maybe if Acey sees your question, and has tried the Jet Boat, he can answer your question.

I never tried the jetboat - but it looks fun! Honestly though if safety is a concern, why worry yourself on vacation? - it's not that fun if it causes worry on your stop here.

I agree with sapper1 about the taxis and she is gentle in her assessment! (Taxis are crap boxes for local political reasons I won't bore you with).

I would book through the ship!

Another option for children as well as adults is the New Brunswick Museum in Market Square near the ship. They have exhibits of interest to kids, including a full skeleton of a right whale and huge sea turtle in the Hall of Great Whales.

In my opinion, I think there is a lot of great things to see and do right off the ship to fill a half day or more - without the expense of excursions. Quite often I find cruisers are pressured to have a memorable vacation and book excursions - and in the fray miss the best part - where the ship docks is one of Canada's oldest neighborhoods with some of the richest architecture in the country. Everything is within a pleasant stroll.

I guess it depends on what kind of day you are looking for or what interests you.

These are more great ideas! We'll have to discuss all these options with the kids. It's their first trip to Canada, so it should be interesting for them see one of the oldest neighborhoods. (I've only been to Montreal many years ago) After all your information, I'm looking forward to seeing some of these sights! Thanks!:)

Archived