Pride thread only

pkrchkr

Just got off the Pride.

What do you want to know?

I'll tell you what I did find out recently, the Pride has been voted by you, Carnival travelers, as the best ship in the Carnival fleet 2 years in a row now.

A balcony cabin is sooooo worth the extra money.

Yes there is a small fridge. And no it doesnt keep stuff very cold, just cold enough I guess. If there's a gripe I have with Carnival is that you have to get ahold of your room steward for extra ice. He will fill the small ice bucket that comes with your room twice a day unless told otherwise. They make up your room twice a day as well. I find a 20 spot tip when you first meet your steward always sets the tone for good service for the week.

I made great use of the spa/gym. Especially the steam room, ahhhhhhhh! And the private showers in the locker room are nice. There's 5 different shower heads hitting you from all angles.

There is free juice at the Mermaid grill, but not pineapple. Apple, Orange, Cranberry and some kind of Guava/Passion fruit thing that I liked.

The coffee's decent enough, but there's a Starbuck's like stand there as well that takes your sign and sail card for the good stuff.

The pizza is 24 hours a day and is quite good. Try the De'Chevre, goat cheese, portabella mushrooms and sausage. Yumm Yumm.

David's is overrated, but should be tried once just to say you did it. The food in the Normandy room was just fine.

We had the most fun at Karaoke, the Piano Bar, and the Beauties disco after hours. Shows were ok.

A balcony cabin is sooooo worth the extra money.

Yes there is a small fridge. And no it doesnt keep stuff very cold, just cold enough I guess. If there's a gripe I have with Carnival is that you have to get ahold of your room steward for extra ice. He will fill the small ice bucket that comes with your room twice a day unless told otherwise. They make up your room twice a day as well. I find a 20 spot tip when you first meet your steward always sets the tone for good service for the week.

There is free juice at the Mermaid grill, but not pineapple. Apple, Orange, Cranberry and some kind of Guava/Passion fruit thing that I liked.

The coffee's decent enough, but there's a Starbuck's like stand there as well that takes your sign and sail card for the good stuff.

The pizza is 24 hours a day and is quite good. Try the De'Chevre, goat cheese, portabella mushrooms and sausage. Yumm Yumm.

David's is overrated, but should be tried once just to say you did it. The food in the Normandy room was just fine.

We had the most fun at Karaoke, the Piano Bar, and the Beauties disco after hours. Shows were ok.

We have an extended balcony. Did you have one of those? I am looking forward to the balcony. We have not had one since 2006 and have missed it. Did not realize how much we were going to until we could not get one due to the ship not having them or not having many.

I agree about the tip. We do it the first day and it does set the tone.

In the Mermaid Grill are the juices offered all day?

I refuse to try the special coffee. I am so addicted to Starbucks that if I were to try it onboard I would have a larger coffee bill than my bar bill.:D

However, I do like my cappas in the diningroom at night for free.;)

I love Carnival's pizza. I am sure that is part of the reason I gained 10lbs on my last cruise. lol And it was weight and not water. lol Well not quite 10 but it was close and it is now gone.

I have heard David's is an experience. I am looking forward to it.

My crazy DH loves to sing Karaoke. He stinks but it is fun to watch everyone.

Do you remember if they offered the baggage package where you put your baggage out by midnight and then you do not see your luggage again until you arrive home? Plus you get your boarding passes printed. I think the fee is $15 pp.

I just posted a review about the Pride http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=37423

Any question just ask?

Did you book your massage at the Krystal Vallarta ahead of time? We were all ( Me, My hubby and my son ) are all wanting massages but we do not want to have to be at the hotel at a given time?

Smiles,Connie

There are two dinner seatings on the Pride.

I wouldn't call the Pride 'dark', personally. I'd say it's more classy. It doesn't have the extreme neon that some other ships have. It has dark wood, artwork and leather. There are a lot of seating areas with a lot of windows. The Pride is a beautiful ship!

Jsme, another hotel you should look into is the Hyatt. It's right by the port and a very nice hotel.

I've posted the Capers from our cruise in January, if anyone's interested:

http://good-times.webshots.com:80/album/562179852GMqPzI

And here's a link to my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=36951

Did you book your massage at the Krystal Vallarta ahead of time? We were all ( Me, My hubby and my son ) are all wanting massages but we do not want to have to be at the hotel at a given time?

Smiles,Connie

Yes I booked ahead. When we got there we wanted a facial also but they were full. I would recommend booking ahead of time here is the web site just email them. http://www.go2vallarta.com/milleniummassage/ Prices are in Paso.

Yes I booked ahead. When we got there we wanted a facial also but they were full. I would recommend booking ahead of time here is the web site just email them. http://www.go2vallarta.com/milleniummassage/ Prices are in Paso.

Thanks Kindkim! Did they offer massages on the beach? That is what we really want! Also, do they have lockers for your money, passport etc.

What massage did you have? I e-mailed them like you suggested and booked 3 (90min) theraputic massages.....I booked for 3pm so we should be able to see the start of the sunset by then?

Smiles,Connie

Thanks Kindkim! Did they offer massages on the beach? That is what we really want! Also, do they have lockers for your money, passport etc.

What massage did you have? I e-mailed them like you suggested and booked 3 (90min) theraputic massages.....I booked for 3pm so we should be able to see the start of the sunset by then?

Smiles,Connie

There are some picture on Web Shots http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562327851uMiQYz

They will under Puerto Vallarta, Kabana, Beach, and Massage. The Kabana is a big tent right next to the sand. There are no locker but I just put my purse on the chair and felt it was secure. You can always put your money under your head if you feel like they will take it. As far as the sunset when you are getting you massage I am not sure if you will see it because the tent is fully inclosed. Because if you like you can take off all your cloths. If you take a cab to Krystal it is about $4.00 and they drop you off in front of the Hotel. You will see like big golf carts which we asked them to take us to the massage on the beach. We gave the driver a couple dollars. Then when you are done you can enjoy the beach or ask for another driver to take you back and then get a cab at the hotel if you like.

Smiles,Connie

We had the relaxing 90 min massage because my mother was concerned about her bad back. Remember PV time is 1 hour ahead of ship time. I booked mine at 10:30 but it was really 9:30 ship time. Ship time is Mountain and PV is Central. Not sure what time is AB, Canada. We live in Washington State about an 1 1/2 from BC. Nanimo is one of our favorite places to go in the summer.

We are taking our first cruise ever on March 30. I am sooooo excited! I want to be sure and exercise everyday because of all the food I'm sure I'll be eating, and I was wondering if the machines (bikes, cross trainers etc.) have TVs. I know it is a dumb little thing, but having something to watch always makes my workouts go so much better.

Thanks!

The DW and I were on the Pride in Dec06 for our first cruise. FANTASTIC experience.

A few comments:

Awesome decor. Its not dark, its masculine. Little neon. Lots of woody tones and textures.

Davids Supper Club. Food was good to very good or even excellent. The experience was phenomenal. GO for the experience. The food will NOT disappoint. Worth the 60+drinks+tip for 2, hands down no questions asked.

Piano Bar. More fun that I can say. A great piano player + folks singing along.... folks who are better than what you will find singing Karaoke in the Starry Night Lounge. The GOOD singers get the microphone.

Sushi... outside the sports bar. Worth your time. Good snack before dinner.

Aft Pool/Bar: All bartenders (was Joey, Conception, and others) remembered my name after first order, were very friendly, and would start preparing my order when they saw me coming... all cruise long. Excellent service and good cruisers back there. Kind of the same crowd every day at the same times. Often adult couples without kids and very experienced cruisers who can offer critical ideas for ports of call as well as shipboard activities. I saw LOTS of Platinum back there ( Sign and Sail Cards....as well as hair)...if'n ya know what I mean. LOL.

I have a cruise on Spirit in the middle of February.... and I am looking forward to it. Heck, I am too excited to sleep. However, deep down, I wish it were on Pride. To me, Spirit ( though of the same class and layout)or what I have seen of Spirit.... is gaudy and tacky.... lots of glitz, glam, differing decor themes, and neon.

Pride is consistent, if somewhat subdued in her Classical decor, and beautiful. She is NOT Las Vegas at sea.

Just got off the Pride.

David's is overrated, but should be tried once just to say you did it.

Rockitman,

You may not know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. Do you know if yoiu can reserve a spot in the club online, or do you do this once you are onboard?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Ctrain246

Rockitman,

You may not know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. Do you know if yoiu can reserve a spot in the club online, or do you do this once you are onboard?

Ctrain246

Here is the link for the reservations http://surv.cheetahmail.com/s?aid=982238741&o=1&n=28 If you are going to formal night they are Monday and Friday so make your reservation for a differant night. Also when I made mind I did not get a confirmation but I checked when I got on board and they had my reservations.

Rockitman,

Ctrain246

Here is the link for the reservations http://surv.cheetahmail.com/s?aid=982238741&o=1&n=28 If you are going to formal night they are Monday and Friday so make your reservation for a differant night. Also when I made mind I did not get a confirmation but I checked when I got on board and they had my reservations.

We are taking our first cruise ever on March 30. I am sooooo excited! I want to be sure and exercise everyday because of all the food I'm sure I'll be eating, and I was wondering if the machines (bikes, cross trainers etc.) have TVs. I know it is a dumb little thing, but having something to watch always makes my workouts go so much better.

Thanks!

Hi Luna,

When I was on the Spirit last Jan I worked out everyday.....believe me when I say, you have a view that will blow your mind! The gym is forward on the ship and the ocean is right there, in all its glory, beautiful and the time flew for me while I watched out the windows! They did have some tv's on the lower part ( main level ) I think the eliptical machines were on that level. I used the treadmills which were on the highest level so I was not able to see the tv's. I also think that if you are on the exercise bikes, then you can see the tv's also. From the pics I have seen, the two gyms, the Spirit and the Pride are identical in layout ( they are sister ships as Sharkin97 mentioned)

Thanks Kindkim for the info and the webshot pics were fun too! I have sent an email, still no reply. We have decided to go with the 75 min couples massage for $75....great deal!! And our DS will have a 75 min theraputic also.

Sharkin97, I hope you don't regret the Spirit! She too is a beautiful ship in her own way. It is not near as tacky as you might think! There are some brightly colored areas such as the Lido deck but, the main lounge area and Davids is beautiful and classy. I think you will like the 8 day itinerary and one good thing is that you are already familiar with the Pride and the layout looks almost identical as far as I can see? Wow, your sleeps are getting less and less, how exciting!!!

Smiles,Connie

Thank you to the one who started this thread. I found it very informative, as I anticipate our March 13 cruise. We've been on Spirit twice and I've always loved the exercise I've gotten from just walking around the ship. As a matter of fact, on ships this size I find I lose weight!

If anyone knows of things to do in Mazatlan, we could use some direction. We have a 14yr. old, so it needs to be interesting for all of us. Is there a town with shops, as there is in Puerto Vallarta? I recall parasailing in Mazatlan and tons of beach vendors trying to sell hats......good ceviche as well, but not much else. We left there feeling like we missed something.

Any advice?

Koolart

Look at the Ports of Call boards for lots of good ideas of what to do in Mazatlan. I have two suggestions: Mazatlan Frank does a great tour and will customize it for you. He can be reached at mazatlan-frank dot com. If there is enough interest you can book horseback riding with Randi's happy horses. She can be reached at randishappyhorses dot com.

Happy Sailing

Archived