Pride thread only

pkrchkr

7_2_211.gif Hello Mary. Found you again, got my Amtrak tickets so all set for November. Can walk a little distance now but will still bring along the scooter. Off to do some shopping but is not nice outside, lots of smoke from the fires, will post again later. LUV & UGGS 2 U and Hal John

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=ZUxdm080YYUS

Woo John one more step!!

Hello Muster Drill is at around 16.00 hrs just before we sail. we always find the most energetic person to take the life vests back to the cabin then on the stern with a cold drink and wave goodby to Long Beach regards John

Carnival ships used to go out of San Pedro and would have to cruise right by a large restaurant . . . everybody would be outside on the patio waving at the ship and the CD would announce over the loudspeakers so everybody including the people at the restaurant could hear it, "Wave back at those people at the restaurant waving at you. There going back to work tomorrow, BUT YOU AREN'T.":D

Hi there! did you get my E mail about your luggage John

Yes I did. We come in on Thursday and will stay somewhere besides the QM the first night with our Hilton points. We had planned to do a tour on Friday but now that we are staying at the QM Friday and Saturday that might mess that up. You are coming in on Saturday, right?

Ok Pride cruisers, I am on the Pride (1st carnival cruise) in November. I booked a flight out of LAX that leaves at 12:15pm. will I make it?:eek:

Barring any screwups with immigration, you should have plenty of time. Be sure and let the purser know of your flight, you'll then get "first off" privileges. Sunday traffic on the 405 will help you also. Approximately 45 minutes to the airport.

My wife & I have booked Pride out of Baltimore in Nov. 2009 and I have a few questions about the "Balcony Guarantee" . What's the downside to this? (if any) Ship movement is not an issue with us, but noise from bars (above & below) could be an issue. But on the Pride are the rooms over these places really bad?

Oliver Peters

Does anyone know where I could find a list of what major artwork is on the Pride? I know there are "nudes" and classic art - I would like to educate my art loving DD before we sail so she knows what she is looking at (besides naked people...:D )....Thanks!

Does anyone know where I could find a list of what major artwork is on the Pride? I know there are "nudes" and classic art - I would like to educate my art loving DD before we sail so she knows what she is looking at (besides naked people...:D )....Thanks!

One piece that particularly enthralled me is the huge painting up one entire wall of the atrium ! . . . The Collossus of Rhodes. (sorry I don't know the artist) :o

You'll get a great view from any one of the glass elevators. Enjoy. :)

The project was commissioned by the Rhodian sculptor Chares of Lindos. To build the statue, his workers cast the outer bronze skin parts. The base was made of white marble, and the feet and ankle of the statue were first fixed. The structure was gradually erected as the bronze form was fortified with an iron and stone framework. To reach the higher parts, an earth ramp was built around the statue and was later removed. When the colossus was finished, it stood about 33 m (110 ft) high.

The construction of the Colossus took 12 years and was finished in 282 BC. For years, the statue stood at the harbor entrance, until a strong earthquake hit Rhodes about 226 BC. The city was badly damaged, and the Colossus was broken at its weakest point -- the knee. The Rhodians received an immediate offer from Ptolemy III Eurgetes of Egypt to cover all restoration costs for the toppled monument. However, an oracle was consulted and forbade the re-erection. Ptolemy's offer was declined.

Googled this . . . quite amazing IMHO ! ! :eek:

Hi All...this is not a "Pride" specific question, but we will be sailing on the Pride in Oct. 2008. Airfare out of Chicago to L.A.:eek: :eek: :eek:...as they say, truely priceless!!!

We may fly into John Wayne Airport, and stay at a hotel near that airport. Any thoughts? Will be flying in the day before. Anything we need to be concrned about finding shuttles (or better yet, free shuttles) to/from the airport and the pier in Long Beach? Will also post this in the West Coast departure area.

Thanks in advance!

iscrk:

Just curious why Orange county (John Wayne)? I was pricing airfare from O'Hare (not sure where you are) to Orange is about $320/pp RT. To LAX, about $297/pp RT. Plus LAX is 10 miles closer to the pier. If you're also going to Disneyland, I could understand John Wayne. I also think there are going to be fair better options in shuttles to the pier from LAX but that's an assumption based on airport size, ameneties, etc...

I grew up in the LA area and we travel down south often. Good luck in your travels. We are on the Pride in Nov and January.

Thanks Harlekuin...United and American have better schedules out of John Wayne, plus the hubby scored two free United tickets. We need to purchase two more. Just one of the options to consider. We are trying to keep all four in/out of one airport but will consider splitting up if nece$$ary!! I don't think we would even be crusing if it was not for those free tickets :p ! I bet we end up going out of LAX, but the hubby is in charge of the airfare, as I am in charge of the cruise!

Thanks Harlekuin...United and American have better schedules out of John Wayne, plus the hubby scored two free United tickets. We need to purchase two more. Just one of the options to consider. We are trying to keep all four in/out of one airport but will consider splitting up if nece$$ary!! I don't think we would even be crusing if it was not for those free tickets :p ! I bet we end up going out of LAX, but the hubby is in charge of the airfare, as I am in charge of the cruise!

Don't stress over it. I would agree better chance of getting shuttles to the port in LAX, whereas John Wayne would most likely be less harried, but almost the same distance and time:

LAX to Long Beach . . . . . . . . . . . 22.7 miles 31 minutes

John Wayne to Long Beach. . . . . 19.5 miles 29 minutes

Enjoy your cruise. If you like riding horses, don't miss Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan. (see pics below) Will have to contact her over the internet and reserve a horse. No deposit, No hassles, That's about all I dare say. :rolleyes:

We sailed with the Pride on June 29th. We had a great time! The food was amazing and I thought the ship was beautiful. The staff was phenomenal and took great care of our son who has life threatening food allergies. My boys (14 and 11) didn't enjoy Camp Carnival ( I think they were spoiled with Disney :D ) but my 3 year old loved it. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again!

Happy to find this Pride thread! A question for someone who has sailed this ship recently...We are sailing on the Pride 8/10/08 and wondering what the earliest time to disembark at the end of the cruise is?? We can carry our own luggage and take a taxi. We have an 11AM flt out of the Long Beach airport to Seattle. Thanks. :) Mary

Happy to find this Pride thread! A question for someone who has sailed this ship recently...We are sailing on the Pride 8/10/08 and wondering what the earliest time to disembark at the end of the cruise is?? We can carry our own luggage and take a taxi. We have an 11AM flt out of the Long Beach airport to Seattle. Thanks. :) Mary

That's cutting it a bit close (especially if there is an immigration problem), but you have THREE things going for you:

It'll be a Sunday morn and there will be very little traffic on the 405

Long Beach Airport is much closer

Long Beach Airport is less crowded, etc.(my favorite local airport)

Just be sure to notify the Purser (take your plane tickets with you) that you have an early flight and you'll get PREFERRED embarkation and leave the ship FIRST.

Have a great cruise. Enjoy the PRIDE. :)

We sailed on the Pride June 29th and loved the ship. We thought it was tastefully decorated, was large enough that it didn't feel crowded and it was always easy to find your "loved ones." We thought the food in the main dining room was okay, nothing to rave about. However, the food in the Mermaid Grill was awesome. Excellent burgers, pizza, sandwiches, breakfasts (good omelets) and always an abundant of fresh fruit. Jeff the cruise director was quite comical yet professional. We couldn't tender in Cabo due to a tropical storm, so we sailed an extra day in the sunshine and Carnival gave everyone a $25.00 sail & sign credit.:)

They should have self assist disembarkation. This is the first group off the ship and you take your own luggage. Long Beach airport is very close. Assuming that the ship gets into port ontime and as long as you get off the ship with the first group you should have no problem.

They should have self assist disembarkation. This is the first group off the ship and you take your own luggage. Long Beach airport is very close. Assuming that the ship gets into port ontime and as long as you get off the ship with the first group you should have no problem.

Yes, Pootsien, I ASSUMED you would be SELF-DEBARKING (should have included that, I'm sorry). Searching to find your luggage on the pier could eat up valuable TIME.

You will be "released" the instant the ship clears immigration. :)

Hi Everyone,

My DW and I will be taking our first Carnival cruise on the Pride in August. We have sailed in the past with Princess, Hal and RCI. Really looking forward to it since this is kind of a 2nd vacation for us and looking to get away. DW and I are easy to please so we dont expect any disappointments unless they cancel the cruise (we would even sleep on deck if we had too.:D ) I do have some questions if anyone could answer.

I have heard about great piano players---What type of tunes are played. I really enjoy Piano players but all the cruises I go on seem to play more songs from the 40s and 50s. I would really enjoy a player who has more 60s, 70s, and maybe some 80s. What does the Pride have.

I also love the idea of the big slide. I saw from some of the capers that it has set hours it is open. Why is it not always opened when the pool is open? Is there a charge to use it?

I have signed up to do the second seating at dinner. I have always done first seating and wanted to try second. After all the big lunces and teas; dinner at 6 seems to come around quickly. How difficult will it be to see show with eating at 8 ?

And last question (for now:rolleyes: ) does Carnival have Tea everyday or only on sea days?

Thanks

John

Hi Everyone,

My DW and I will be taking our first Carnival cruise on the Pride in August. We have sailed in the past with Princess, Hal and RCI. Really looking forward to it since this is kind of a 2nd vacation for us and looking to get away. DW and I are easy to please so we dont expect any disappointments unless they cancel the cruise (we would even sleep on deck if we had too.:D ) I do have some questions if anyone could answer.

I have heard about great piano players---What type of tunes are played. I really enjoy Piano players but all the cruises I go on seem to play more songs from the 40s and 50s. I would really enjoy a player who has more 60s, 70s, and maybe some 80s. What does the Pride have.

John, I haven't cruised the PRIDE for over 3 years, so I can't speak for the piano player in the piano bar that might be onboard now. In the past, on all Carnival cruises, I've noticed a nice mixture of "typical" piano bar songs from every era. The last time while on the PRIDE, I was with my son and we didn't spend much time in the piano bar with hold'em poker first being offered. :rolleyes:

I also love the idea of the big slide. I saw from some of the capers that it has set hours it is open. Why is it not always opened when the pool is open? Is there a charge to use it?

I think the wind and rough seas are a significant factor in their decision to maybe keep the slide closed, but I think the times are listed. It requires staff to work the slide also, controlling when it is clear for someone to go down it, etc.

I have signed up to do the second seating at dinner. I have always done first seating and wanted to try second. After all the big lunces and teas; dinner at 6 seems to come around quickly. How difficult will it be to see show with eating at 8 ?

They have two shows (one for the early seating and one for the late seating). I've never had a problem getting there in time or getting a good seat. I also prefer late seating as this gives me more time to prep for dinner after being ashore during port days.:)

And last question (for now:rolleyes: ) does Carnival have Tea everyday or only on sea days?

I think ONLY sea days, but I'm sure if I'm incorrect I'll be corrected. :D

Thanks

John

Enjoy your cruise, John . . . the PRIDE is my favorite Carnival ship.:)

madjohn,

You only tender into Cabo.

I notice that glrounds has already answered your other questions....but I'll answer them as well, since you either didn't see his/her answers or you'd like another opinion. :)

The piano bars have different people on each ship....each with their own persona. You can request songs and as long as he knows them....he'll play them (tips help with that ;) ). If you're referring to a piano player that plays in the atrium, or in a bar, etc.....then those seem to be more classic to oldies music. At least my experience has found this to be true. As to what the Pride will have when you sail.....that's really anyone's guess.

The slide does have hours listed as to when it's opened. They need to have an employee at the slide at all times when open....so that's probably why it's not open the same hours as the pool. If there is a lot of wind or anything, for that matter, that would make the slide unsafe, they will close it. There is no extra charge to use the slide/pools/hot tubs.

Don't worry about being able to see the shows if you have late seating for dinner. They usually have two different times for the shows.....one that works with the early seating and one that works with the late seating. Just check your Capers and if you notice that a show is only going to go at one time....make the necessary arrangements if it's important to you to see it.

Have fun on your cruise!

When are you going in September? We're on the 28th.

We're going Sept. 7. Coming to a conference in Anaheim that starts the 15th, so thought this was a perfect way to see another cruise line and a different itinerary. Looking forward to it!

Hi All,

Still looking for info on my above questions and to add one,

On the mexican rivera trip, what ports do we need to tender on? is it just Cabo?

thanks

John

Yes, Cabo is the ONLY port you tender on. Carnival is working hard to get permission to build a pier in Cabo, but getting a lot of resistance from the locals who know that this would bring many many more cruise ships to Cabo. (Cabo is "owned" :rolleyes: by Southern Californians in that many well-to-dos have a condo/home there or berth their yacht there).:D

Archived