Pride thread only

pkrchkr

I have a slide question - do they let kids under the height limit on with an adult? We are allowed at the water parks around here (and he has a life jacket as well), but I wanted to be prepared to do slide-avoidance if he's not going to be able to use it.

I have a slide question - do they let kids under the height limit on with an adult? We are allowed at the water parks around here (and he has a life jacket as well), but I wanted to be prepared to do slide-avoidance if he's not going to be able to use it.

I have not personally experienced this, but I have seen Carnival employees tell many people 'only one at a time'. I've also never seen any doubles coming down on any ship I've been on. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen......or they won't let you......but that's been my experience.

With that said, I've seen some pretty small children come down the slides. I don't know how small you're talking about....but I've seen little ones that I'd guess to be about 4 or so come down alone.

Was curious about the success rate of people bringing alcohol on board the Pride? Who has done it and gotten away with it? And who has had the misfortune of getting caught.

I have been fortunate to cruise the Pride 3 times :) My sister and I sailed last November and Husband & I last December. My sister and I "carried on" 2 bottles of wine, 3 bottles of Dom and 2 bottles of Cristal. One fine bottle for every night at dinner. Seven bottles total, no one said a word about it when we went through the check point. We also smuggled on a bottle of tequila and a bottle of vodka in our luggage :D for use throughout the day. We drank all the champagne and wine at dinner but ended up giving most of the tequila and an unopened bottle of vodka to the cabin steward upon debarkation. It was the BEST CRUISE I've ever been on! Going again with husband week after Christmas, CAN'T WAIT!

I have not personally experienced this, but I have seen Carnival employees tell many people 'only one at a time'. I've also never seen any doubles coming down on any ship I've been on. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen......or they won't let you......but that's been my experience.

With that said, I've seen some pretty small children come down the slides. I don't know how small you're talking about....but I've seen little ones that I'd guess to be about 4 or so come down alone.

My experience is the same as gumbalz. :)

Based on the pic, your child seems big enough. I must caution you on getting your child overly excited, however. These Carnival ship slides are pretty tame when compared to Raging Waters or Six Flags Hurricane Harbor (1 mile from me) in California. :) On "The Tower", an 80' almost vertical drop, when you hit the "braking" water at the bottom, it literally tears the swim suits off some of the participants. (my son and I always picked this "spot" to have lunch when we were there):D

Tame or not, I've seen kids just having a ball on the slide. Enjoy. :)

We are going on the pride 1/18/09 and have handicap modified room #8239 on Panorama deck. It reportedly has 115 sq foot balcony? Has anyone seen a room like this? On the deck plans it is sideways to the layout of the other rooms.

We have been on Spirit, so though we lost our Splendor cruise when it was chartered for John Mayer group, this should be fun. My dau and I took the same itinerary last March. This will be quite different! She drug me to the Cabo Wabo in Cabo, we drank beer at the Cheeky Monkey in PV and watched a whale play in the bay, and had our own adventure in Mazatlan. My hubby and I spent a week in Mazatlan, so probably won't do much this time. Dau and I got lost and finally ended up on Stone Island in the back of a pickup that had to be pushed to start it! But ended up at Vick's or some such and had our very own jewelry vendor party and managed to get back to the ship safely. She said we would NOT be shopping at WalMart, but backed down as we needed water when we got to PV. It was actually kinda fun! And we did most of our souvenir shopping in Cabo and downtown near the beach in PV.

Anyhoo, I am readying this thread with interest, have 6 months to go and would appreciate any info on the sidewise room assignment! Hubby has a retirement job as Alaska Airlines ticket agent and I am a legal assistant. Looking forward to getting cold and seeing whales in January.

My experience is the same as gumbalz. :)

Based on the pic, your child seems big enough. I must caution you on getting your child overly excited, however. These Carnival ship slides are pretty tame when compared to Raging Waters or Six Flags Hurricane Harbor (1 mile from me) in California. :) On "The Tower", an 80' almost vertical drop, when you hit the "braking" water at the bottom, it literally tears the swim suits off some of the participants. (my son and I always picked this "spot" to have lunch when we were there):D

Tame or not, I've seen kids just having a ball on the slide. Enjoy. :)

I read that you have to be 42" to use the slide and he's just barely 40". (I told him to grow for Disneyland. We're not likely to hit another growth spurt by September!) I guess I will de-emphasize the slide thing and ask while he's in the kids' program one day.

And we're not expecting "untame" sliding - the local water park has a whole whooping four slides. ;) One of them, I need use my hands to keep us going. :D He does adore the slides, though.

I read that you have to be 42" to use the slide and he's just barely 40". (I told him to grow for Disneyland. We're not likely to hit another growth spurt by September!) I guess I will de-emphasize the slide thing and ask while he's in the kids' program one day.

And we're not expecting "untame" sliding - the local water park has a whole whooping four slides. ;) One of them, I need use my hands to keep us going. :D He does adore the slides, though.

I would guess [operative word], that if he stands on his tippy toes and looks up at the crewman with that look that only little boys can give you (I had 4 boys:) ) they might let it "slide" . . . pun intended. Especially if you're there.

You might be surprised ! He just may grow a couple of inches by September. :D

I have been fortunate to cruise the Pride 3 times :) My sister and I sailed last November and Husband & I last December. My sister and I "carried on" 2 bottles of wine, 3 bottles of Dom and 2 bottles of Cristal. One fine bottle for every night at dinner. Seven bottles total, no one said a word about it when we went through the check point. We also smuggled on a bottle of tequila and a bottle of vodka in our luggage :D for use throughout the day. We drank all the champagne and wine at dinner but ended up giving most of the tequila and an unopened bottle of vodka to the cabin steward upon debarkation. It was the BEST CRUISE I've ever been on! Going again with husband week after Christmas, CAN'T WAIT!

There was a cruiser that used to post here all the time a few years ago. He would bring 2 12-packs of premium beer, gift wrap them like presents, and put a tag on top saying, "For the Captain". :D Nobody ever questioned him ! ! :eek:

He and his wife easily got a case of beer aboard this way. Sneaky, eh ? :)

I have never tried to take more than 2 bottles of wine, one for me and one for DH but I also have noticed they have never even looked in the bag. I have often wondered if you could take more.

I am going with a group of friends in November and I am hoping to have a bottle at the table every night for dinner. I was thinking someone would bring a bottle a nice and we would just share since it is only friends at our table.

I also have a friend who gets off the ship and comes back on with a 6 pack and it has never been taken. I personally have never tried it. He says before he leaves he asks if he can bring it back on.

At the ports, as you reboard, you are merely asked/requested/instructed to take your liquor purchases to a table (around the corner) and give it to them and give them your cabin # and you'll get the booze the last night at sea. :confused:

Everybody I knew that had booze, didn't take Carnival up on this "option". :D

At the ports, as you reboard, you are merely asked/requested/instructed to take your liquor purchases to a table (around the corner) and give it to them and give them your cabin # and you'll get the booze the last night at sea. :confused:

Everybody I knew that had booze, didn't take Carnival up on this "option". :D

Really? Wow on the various ships I have been on the watch you and make sure you take the alcohol to the table which has always been in front of the people coming back on the ship. Maybe I am just too much of a rule follwer. lol Maybe I need to start doing what you do Gary. lol

Really? Wow on the various ships I have been on the watch you and make sure you take the alcohol to the table which has always been in front of the people coming back on the ship. Maybe I am just too much of a rule follwer. lol Maybe I need to start doing what you do Gary. lol

LOL :) . . . I don't do it . . . seldom purchase booze while in port, but I've seen with all the crowds and everything, some paxs who were "supposed" to go to this table and give up their booze, just go around the crowds at the table straight into the elevators and never get challenged. Its helpful, I'm sure, if its in in a typical "tourist" type bag with all kinds of other "tourist" type stuff on the top of the bag hanging out and other paxs are crowded around the table.:D

We cruise on the Pride in 33 more days. :)

We have never cruised Carnival before--only RCCL (Voyager of the Seas--this past October in the Mediterranean) and Disney. Friends we met on our trip in the Mediterranean (met via CC Roll Call!! :D ) were booked on the cruise and asked us to join them.

We're excited to go to the Mexican Riviera. It's also nice that we can drive to the port early the morning of the cruise from where we live, near Stanford Univ.(Nor Cal).

I have read both good and bad reviews on ship--and I figure we'll just have to experience the cruise ourselves to decide. I don't expect any bad things per se---but after the excellent service from RCCL...I hope my expectations aren't too high.

We have massages booked at the Krystal Hotel--hubby plans to scuba dive one day. I'm looking forward to a cruise where we don't have to rush off to see the sights because of such intense 'port' days as we did in Italy and the French Riviera. :) (although how can you say it wasn't wonderful when you are seeing Monte Carlo, Nice, Florence, Rome, Positano...???).

Thanks to all who put information on this thread--it's been interesting to read--and gave me some clues as to what lies ahead on this ship. :)

I would guess [operative word], that if he stands on his tippy toes and looks up at the crewman with that look that only little boys can give you (I had 4 boys:) ) they might let it "slide" . . . pun intended. Especially if you're there.

You might be surprised ! He just may grow a couple of inches by September. :D

Well, he does have the kind of eyes that people fawn over. ;) I should just look for a female lifeguard at the top. :D

I hope he doesn't grow for a couple more months - I could barely afford to feed him through the last growth spurt! (Where can a 30 pound 40" boy PUT all that food?)

We went on the Pride in October of 07 and we had the time of our life and just loved that ship. It's just an awesome ship. The colors of the ship are dark, but who cares your on a huge ship for a week and what is there to complain about. There are pictures of naked people around, but that didn't bother any of us in fact it became more humerous to us.

You go on the Pride. There is no way you can't have a great time unless your one of those people who seem to complain about everything.

You yourself are the ones who will make or break your trip. I wouldn't let a little dark color ruin the excitement of being on a cruise.

Enjoy and have a blast. :D ;)

Well, he does have the kind of eyes that people fawn over. ;) I should just look for a female lifeguard at the top. :D

I hope he doesn't grow for a couple more months - I could barely afford to feed him through the last growth spurt! (Where can a 30 pound 40" boy PUT all that food?)

Believe me, I know ! ! :D (like feeding an army)

I've looked all over my hard drive for pics of that slide, but can't seem to find them. I know I took a zillion pics. All taken with an older camera, too, so maybe they were DELETED because they were so bad.

When you approach the crew "monitor" at the top of the slide with your little boy, just give her/him that "I have a comment card" look . . . they'll understand. :D

We went on the Pride in October of 07 and we had the time of our life and just loved that ship. It's just an awesome ship. The colors of the ship are dark, but who cares your on a huge ship for a week and what is there to complain about. There are pictures of naked people around, but that didn't bother any of us in fact it became more humerous to us.

You go on the Pride. There is no way you can't have a great time unless your one of those people who seem to complain about everything.

You yourself are the ones who will make or break your trip. I wouldn't let a little dark color ruin the excitement of being on a cruise.

Enjoy and have a blast. :D ;)

We were on the same time as you. It must have been when Gilbert is out of school.

The Pride is a great ship. We've been on her twice. I would recommend it highly to anyone.

We were on the same time as you. It must have been when Gilbert is out of school.

The Pride is a great ship. We've been on her twice. I would recommend it highly to anyone.

Yes, I remember you. It was Oct.7th cruise. In fact we talked a few times on the Roll Call. The Pride is a great ship. Great to talk to you again.

Debbie :)

Hello Cruisers!

We are sailing 8/31 with a 3 & 6 year old.

Can anyone give us some advice re: the three ports (Cabo/Mazatlan/Acapulco)?

What can we do with kids?

We are nervous to take a taxi with them (we will be without car seats).

Are there safe/clean local resorts/beaches to walk to?

Has anyone been to the aquarium in Mazatlan? Can we walk there from the port?

Any recommendations are greatly welcomed...

Thanks all,

:) Randilynn

Hi Randilynn! You are going to love the Pride. We've been on her 3 times, the last time with our grandson who was 6 and granddaughter who was turning 4. They love the kids club and we had to drag them out of there to do things together!

The only place you can walk to from the port in Mazatlan is to the water taxi to get to Stone Island. You can get there and back for about $2. It's a good place to take kids because the water is very shallow a long way out and it has a long, wide beach. There are lots of very good restaurants where they have shaded tables and chairs you can use as long as you buy food and drinks. We've eaten at several of them and haven't had any problems (stomach wise!). Anywhere else you have to take a taxi, but again you have the car seat problem.

In Cabo, we booked a snorkel and lunch cruise thru Sunrider. It was fabulous for the kids, the crew really catered to them. The captain even let my grandson steer the boat when we headed back into Cabo! They were too intimidated to get off the back of the boat to swim, but they enjoyed the trip. You can also take the tender in and go to several of the resorts on Medrano Beach.

In Puerto Vallarta, we walked the 3 blocks to the Krystal Hotel and used their pool and beach for the day. We showed the guard our ship cards and were let in for free. The kids loved the pool. It's huge and they also had a toddler pool. My granddaughter used water wings and no problem getting around. They have a swim up bar where we ordered lunch and didn't even have to get out of the water to eat!

Have a great time!! Cheryl

We're going after you, Randilynn, but so far we have planned with our three year old boy:

Puerto Vallerta - Sea Life Park. He loves water slides, and he and Daddy are going to do the Dolphin Encounter. Haven't decided yet if we're going to book through the ship or try to do it on our own - I worry about the transportation issue and trying to find a taxi with the little guy.

Mazatlan - Stone Island. It's our beach day! I think we're going to do this one - http://www.mazatlantours.org/stone-island-tour.htm - again, because of the transportation.

Cabo - still undecided on this one. I'm thinking about a pirate ship sailing with the same company as above, but I'm not positive. My son has been obsessed with pirates for a while, but our last cruise, he was terrified that pirates might actually try to take over our ship.

Hi All,

I will be on the 8-10 sailing. I got two questions .

I see on the deck plan on the "Main" deck forword something labeled "Real Virtuality" what is it?

Also where is the secret door on the Pride?

If anyone knows, Thanks

John

Hi All,

I will be on the 8-10 sailing. I got two questions .

I see on the deck plan on the "Main" deck forword something labeled "Real Virtuality" what is it?

If anyone knows, Thanks

John

We went through the Sunset Garden and climbed the stairs to peek into Real Virtuality.....it was an arcade type area with video games. That also seemed to be where A LOT of the kids were hiding. :)

Okay, here we go!

I've scoured the site trying to find the answer to this question before I post it; I don't want to be one of THOSE guys.

So here goes, we are looking at going on the Pride after it repositions over to the Exotic Eastern Caribbean, so it's still a ways out (5/9/09 to be exact). This will be the 6th cruise for one in our group, my 2nd (Triumph) and the first for my cousin and his wife. What we noticed on the Triumph was the the big, fancy, formal night, Vegas-style shows were spaced out differently than what I expected. If you had the late seating at dinner, you went to the show before dinner and if you had early, you went after dinner. My question is:

Is that the case on the Pride?

To me, I would rather go to the show after dinner, kind of kick off the evening and proceed to the other "goings on". And if the Pride runs the similar schedule as to the Triumph, that would require us to take the early dinner seating; something that we are open to but just trying to look at our options. We would like the late seating so we don't have to rush back, but it's not that big of a difference time-wise. And just speaking of that in general, just what your your thoughts on one seating versus the other? I know this is one of those that gets beat to death but I'm just interested in what you fine folks prefer, pros, cons and such.

Thank you so much for your answers and insight!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Pride has Carnival's Club O2 teen club on it? I will be sailing with a 15 year old over Halloween, 2008 and he would really like to hang out with his own age group. If they do not have a Club O2, does Carnival have teen only events/hang out on the Pride?

Archived