Drive time --Fairbanks to Chitina

ARBORGUY

Need help...

We'll be in Fairbanks and driving to Chitina to get a flight to Wrangell-- St.Elias and staying at Kennicott Glacier Lodge for two nights.

Now the question....is it reasonable to drive Fairbanks to Chitina to catch the 5:45 flight? This would allow us to have two nites in Fairbanks.

How long should we plan that the drive will take?

My original plan was to stay one nite in Fairbanks ---drive to Copper Center stay over nite and then tale an eariler flight to Kennicott.

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!

Bill

According to Wrangell Mountain Air's website, the drive takes 6.5 hours. I would always allow a cushion for traffic, construction and unforeseen events.

I'm assuming this is based on a route of AK2 > AK4 > AK10. I did the ride from Anchorage, so I do not have personal experience.

I can tell you that you will love the flight from Chitina to McCarthy; it's so scenic it's an excursion in itself. I also really enjoyed by time at KGL - very nice place and staff with amazingly good food for the middle of nowhere. ;)

Be sure to do a walk on Root Glacier. It's very accessible from KGL. The old mining town is fascinating. And best of all - you'll find no crowds in Kennicott.

Congrats on a great choice.

Thanks Patrick for your response...I'll plan accordingly...

Thanks to you and Nancy (NancyIL) for sharing your experiences at Kennicott, It's the reason I added it to our plans....

I'm using the Toursaver coupon, so the lodging expense is only $165 total for both nights. AND there is NO additional tax!.... what'a bargain!!:D

Also, your website is AWESOME and thanks for sharing the comprehensive list of websites and resources (really helpful).

Bill

Archived