How much liquor can you bring back?

pink daisy

I hear there are new laws....you used to only be able to bring back (if you are a Texas resident):

1 quart of distilled spirits

3 gallons of wine and

24 twelve-ounce containers of beer.

But I hear now you can bring back more. Does anyone know if that is true and if so what are the new rules?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

Federal regulations allow you to bring back more than one liter of alcoholic beverage for personal use, but, as with extra tobacco, you will have to pay duty and Internal Revenue Service tax.

While Federal regulations do not specify a limit on the amount of alcohol you may bring back for personal use, unusual quantities are liable to raise suspicions that you are importing the alcohol for other purposes, such as for resale. CBP officers are authorized by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to make on-the-spot determinations that an importation is for commercial purposes, and may require you to obtain a permit to import the alcohol before releasing it to you. If you intend to bring back a substantial quantity of alcohol for your personal use, you should contact the port through which you will be re-entering the country, and make prior arrangements for entering the alcohol into the United States.

Also, you should be aware that state laws might limit the amount of alcohol you can bring in without a license. If you arrive in a state that has limitations on the amount of alcohol you may bring in without a license, that state law will be enforced by CBP, even though it may be more restrictive than federal regulations. We recommend that you check with the state government before you go abroad about their limitations on quantities allowed for personal importation and additional state taxes that might apply.

In brief, for both alcohol and tobacco, the quantities discussed in this booklet as being eligible for duty-free treatment may be included in your $800 or $1,600 exemption, just as any other purchase would be. But unlike other kinds of merchandise, amounts beyond those discussed here as being duty-free are taxed, even if you have not exceeded, or even met, your personal exemption. For example, if your exemption is $800 and you bring back three liters of wine and nothing else, two of those liters will be dutiable. Federal law prohibits shipping alcoholic beverages by mail within the United States.

True - Texas law is different for Texans - all others cruising in and out of Texas go by the Federal law - even though they are getting off in Texas - which really doesn't make any sense to be honest with you.

Cuban cigars are legal in Canada but Canadians can't bring them into the US to take home because they are illegal here - so I don't know why the law is different for us Texans who want to bring booze home.

Oh well - I hope someone can update us on the changes.

Boy you got that right!! Our drinking laws make NO sense. I was thinking about bringing back some of that Appleton rum from Jamaica. But I was in a liquor store the other day....and guess what? There it was on the shelf. I don't think I'll be hauling a bunch of booze off the ship. Now hauling it aboard ...well that might be a different story. Haha

The amount of liquor one can bring back into the states duty free is somewhat dependent on where the liquor was purchased. For example, one may bring back as many as 8 liters of liquor if it was purchased in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

You are each allowed to bring back 1 liter of spirits. We have always brought more, usually 4 liters, (two each) through the port of Galveston and we have always been waived through. Now I am not saying you will meet with the same luck but I haven't heard anyone post here saying they had the overage confiscated.

We always declare everything we purchase.

You can Pete but legally we Texas residents when we sail from Galveston cannot. We have a state law that limits us to one liter. This also applies when flying internationally into Texas. The CBP website claims that they will enforce the Texas law on Texas residents but as I said in my previous post, our mileage has varied. :)

I have never been through Galveston but In Fort Lauderdale we brought back 4 liter between two of us without any questions. As for flying with it, where we bought it on the island they packed it for us with bubble wrap and we just put it in the center of our suit cases with lots of clothes around it and we never had any trouble with it.

You can bring back as many as you can carry but may have a duty/tax applied. Usually around $2.77 per liter. Like others have said in Texas, they are limited to one liter total. Again it is up to the Customs (FED) whether or not to enforce Texas laws.

One word of warning to Alabama residents, make sure you keep the paper showing you paid your taxes. Importing alchohol into Alabama without taxes being paid can cause you to lose your vehicle if stopped.

Dave

buying liquor on board is great-prices usually good--but how do i get them on a plane?

The cruise ship boxed our purchases well. We then wrapped the boxes in clothing and placed in middle of large suitcases. I think we had 4 bottles in each suitcase. It helps not to overpack so you have room for goodies on the way home! :D

Archived