Advice needed, can we fit in the Vatican Tour?

We will be going on a Mediterranean cruise on the Emerald Princess and will be docking at Civitavecchia on Tuesday 27 May 2008 from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.

We plan to engage a private driver/guide for the Rome day to make full use of the limited time. We hope to take in the sights including the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Catacombs, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel, Peter’s Basilica. These are usually included in the comprehensive one day tour by most of the tour companies recommended on this board.

We are thinking of Port Compass or Unforgettable Tuscany or Stefano of RomeCabs.

I need to ask for advice from those who have been there. Is it possible for us to fit in the 2-hr Vatican Tour organized by the Vatican Museum? We would reserve the ticket in advance. Intend to also book advance for the Colosseum ticket. No real lunch, only grab a sandwich or pizza somewhere convenient. Options: “Piazza Navone and Circus Maximus” if have time

Could cruisers please advise if it’s really feasible to fit in the Vatican Tour with the one day Rome tour?

Also, suggestions/comments for the tour operators will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

tonghua

Too many places, if you drop the catacombs and see the Roman forum and Palatine Hill from the outside you can do it. We did Vatican (the tour), pantheon, Trevi, Navona, Colosseum(outside)Pantheom, Spanish steps we drove by Palatine and Roman forum and we ate at a restaurant and went to a gelatto place.

We will be going on a Mediterranean cruise on the Emerald Princess and will be docking at Civitavecchia on Tuesday 27 May 2008 from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.

We plan to engage a private driver/guide for the Rome day to make full use of the limited time. We hope to take in the sights including the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Catacombs, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel, Peter’s Basilica. These are usually included in the comprehensive one day tour by most of the tour companies recommended on this board.

We are thinking of Port Compass or Unforgettable Tuscany or Stefano of RomeCabs.

I need to ask for advice from those who have been there. Is it possible for us to fit in the 2-hr Vatican Tour organized by the Vatican Museum? We would reserve the ticket in advance. Intend to also book advance for the Colosseum ticket. No real lunch, only grab a sandwich or pizza somewhere convenient. Options: “Piazza Navone and Circus Maximus” if have time

Could cruisers please advise if it’s really feasible to fit in the Vatican Tour with the one day Rome tour?

Also, suggestions/comments for the tour operators will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

tonghua

I think it's VERY tight. Although, We did all of what you did, except for entering in the the Colesium. (we only saw outside). I suggest leaving the Colesium/Ruins last as this is on one end of Rome. Vatican is on the other end, and everything else in between. If you still have time at the end, you can then go in the Colesium. The everything in between stops are all easily walkable, a few mins to each stop.

Only problem I can think about for you is traffic if you're taking a car or taxi going in and out of Rome. We took the train, and caught the early one (8:02) and hit all the stops that you mentioned plus Fontana del foro minus Catacombs. And yet we didn't have time to enter Colesium. You may have tickets, but they may be a line going in. We were there in Nov. and there was a line but it moved quickly. I suppose if you go in and spend 5 mins and leave, it's possible if the line is not too long! So leave it to the end and then decide if I were you. Don't forget your pennies for the TRevi!

Also see my post here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=697555

IMO you're really push'n it.......asking for a miracle. Don't forget this is a large city. . . tons of traffic. . . .#1 tourist city in the world. . .you won't be alone like in Cedar Rapids Ia. Like the the travelers bible says, "you won't see it all in one day".

We hired a driver too. . .did the COLO, FORUM, TREVI, S.STEPS,VAT & ST PETES & had pizza and beer in the Piazza NAVONA and back to CIVY by 5. That's cram'n. You take it from there.

CIAO,

Archived