Shore Excursions

rebel55

Hi - I am taking my first cruise in September 2005. I am booked on the Navigater, Cabin 1610, visiting San Juan, Nassau, St. Maartin, and St. Thomas. I have learned so much from all of your postings. Do you have any favorite shore excursions, sights that should not be missed? What about trying to sightsee on your own? Is it better to go with the cruise sponsored tours? Thanks for all your help. :rolleyes: Pat

Although it might cost you a bit more, I usually recommend that first timers take excursions offered through the ship. In San Juan though, if you are there early enough, it's easy to get a good map and do a walking tour of Old San Juan. Very interesting but wear good walking shoes. On St. Maarten my favorite excursion has been the Golden Eagle Catamaran. On St. Thomas you can go with a tour that either stays on St. Thomas or goes to St. John. Lots to see and do in all those ports. And don't forget the shopping! :D

rebel55.... You can also get some very good information by going to the Ports of Call section and checking under EACH of your port stops.

Agree with hstrybuf about using a ship's excursion for your first time in a port! Ship's excursions ... Pick you up from the ship ... Take you to have fun ... Return you to the ship ... and :p you NEVER miss the the boat!

Happy Sailing! OCrisers :)

The first time we went to St. Thomas and San Juan we hired a cab driver to take us around and show us the sights.It was cheaper and we went at our own pace,did only what we wanted,avoided being on crowded buses and the local drivers always have good ideas and a lot of knowledge.Go to the destination boards for ideas of what to do.

Archived