Visiting Magen's Bay, Coral World & Cokie Beach

steel123

We are thinking about going to Magen's Bay, Coral World & Cokie Beach, but have a few questions.

I've been searching the boards, and learned there aren't any umbrellas to rent at Magen's Bay, but there are some trees. Is there enough shade provided by the trees at Magen's Bay beach? Are these shady spots far away from the ocean? Since this beach is rated so high, is this a must do? Also, will it be too much if we went to all three places--Magen's Bay in the morning and Coral World and Cokie beach in the afternoon? Our ship will be there from 8:00AM to 6:00PM, and we plan to get an early start. :)

Islander, thanks for your reply! I've been worried about not being able to rent an umbrella. I enjoy being on the beach, but I can't sit out in the sun. It sounds like I won't have a problem with the shade trees, and it should be close enough for me to watch the kids in the water.

Do you think it will be too much to try to go to all 3 places in one day? We were thinking of leaving Magen's Bay around 1:00pm. I thought the kids (11 & 13 year old boys) might enjoy going to Coral World, and after reading about the fish that swim around you at Cokie Beach, I thought we should see that, too.:)

Islander--Thanks for your help with this. That sounds like a good plan, so we can visit all of these great spots. Do you know how much the taxi ride costs from Magen's Bay to Coral World/Cokie? I'm trying to calculate how much it's going to cost us to move around the island. (I read that it costs $8 to go from port to Magen's Bay, and it costs $9 to go from the port to Cokie, so I guess that will be what it costs to go back to the port.):)

• 2 weeks later...

I am also thinking of going to see all of these and do some shopping in Havensight. What's the best way to do this? Is best to go Coki/Coral World first from Havensight and then go to Megan's or is it better to go Megan's first and then Coral world?

Thanks for your help,

Mac

Mac, how much time did you plan to stay at Magens Bay, Coral World and Coki? How long are you in port?

--Islander

We are in port for about 7 hours. I thought I would stay at Magens for about 1-2 hours and Coral/Coki for 2 hours, and then hopefully have some shopping time.

Your plans sound doable. Coral World, if you leisurely visit takes about 2 hours; less if you aren't reading informational signs or trying to catch feedings. If you are docked in Havensight there is shopping right there. Doesn't really matter which you do first Coki or Magens. Generally if you get to the beach early you beat the tour groups, so that would apply to which ever you go to first.

--Islander

We went to Magen's Bay last year in April and it was our most disappointing excursion of the whole cruise. There were mosquitos something fierce I don't know if it was because of the heat? The sand was filled with leaves from the trees and you had to haul your rented chair out to the sand from the gift shop. Maybe I was just tired from a funfilled busy week. The water was nice but I was ready to get out of there shortly after I arrived. :(

We are going back to St Thomas next year and are going to opt for maybe Trunk Bay at St John.

Archived