AZ Memorial question

2B@C

We've been to the memorial several years ago, but the couple we're travelling with has not, so it's a must do for them (we'll be there on a Tuesday in April, on the Diamond Princess). The plan right now is for them to get off and catch an early cab over before the huge crowds hit (hopefully). We're happy to wander around Aloha Tower and Chinatown again for a while, then pick up the rental car and head over to PH to get them.

I know it will be crowded and they will have to wait, but will this get them there before the ship's excursion or other bus loads? Any idea how much time we should budget before we start heading over? Should they be done around 11:00? Noon? I'm trying to get a feel for what else we'll be able to do with them during the day (they really want to do a luau that night, so it's a pretty small window to work with).

I'm about to make the car rez now, I'm guessing the pick up will be at the airport (we'll be doing a late drop-off, so it might be the only location still open), and catch a shuttle from the pier. We probably have the option to pick up the car in Honolulu and drop it at the airport, but I imagine there is a fee involved. (I've found good info by searching the forum, but there's lots to sift through if you're looking for something specific).

Any advice or insight would be most welcome, thanks.

We were just there on Sunday, 1/13/08. We picked up a Thrifty rental in Waikiki at 7am and were at the Arizona at 7:45am. There was only a 20 minute wait for the movie. We were done with the Arizona around 10am. We then did the Bowfin/Missouri/Pacific Aviation Museum. We left the Pearl Harbor area around 12:30/1pm. The Thrifty lot was open for drop-off until 9:45pm. Hope this helps.

[quote name=2B@C;13154961

I know it will be crowded and they will have to wait' date=' but will this get them there before the ship's excursion or other bus loads? Any idea how much time we should budget before we start heading over? Should they be done around 11:00? Noon? I'm trying to get a feel for what else we'll be able to do with them during the day (they really want to do a luau that night, so it's a pretty small window to work with).

[/quote]

I will tell you how our time went so you have some feedback. We were not on a ship, but this was our timeframe: We were picked up by a shuttle service at the Marriott Waikiki at 7am, and arrived at PH at 7:30. We got in line, and were in the center by 8am. We had a ticket for an 8:40 ride to the memorial. We were back and ready to get on the shuttle by 10, the shuttle came at 10:30, and we were back at our hotel at 11am.

When you can pick them up will depend upon when they start, but if they arrive between 7:30 and 8am, they should be ready for you to pick up between 10:30 and 11am.

HTH,

Leslie

How can you not love this website?

Great feedback, that's exactly what I was looking for. I called Thrifty in Waikiki to ask a couple of questions, then went ahead and made our rez. We'll be glad to steer clear of the airport, and the late dropoff is perfect, just grab a cab back to the pier when we're ready.

Mahalo

Archived