Help With Excursion Choices

love_cruisin

I've been reading the various postings on ruins but I feel more confused than ever. We are debating between Belize: Lamanai & New River Safari, Mayan Ruins of Xunantunich, Mayan Palaces of Cahal Pech or Cozumel: Tulum Mayan Ruins Express, all offered on RCI. If you had to pick one, which would it be? My husband & I will be bringing our 12 and 9 yr. old children along. We've never seen any ruins so I'm assuming we'd enjoy any...I am a bit concerned about the sea sickness I read about on the ferry ride for Tulum. Please help us decide. Which ruins are best to explore? Do you only climb them or can you go in? I've no idea! Looking to get the most out of our visit. Thanks so much :)

at lamanai, you can climb one of the temples. no, you can't go inside.

i hear at some of the other mayan sites, they are not allowing tourist to climb. i was surprised we could at lamanai. you should be aware how long the trips are. for lamanai, it's over an hour on the bus, then an hour on the speed boat...same going back. it was a about 7 1/2 hours.

we did go tulum, that was an even longer day. on NCL, for my cruise anyway, the tours to Xunantunich were cancelled...i heard from the guest speakers that they cancelled going there due to the distance and time factor. i hope on my next cruise they are doing xunantunich again.

the review take is posted on this thread, it a good review of the area. the paths are very rough, the walking is difficult..but the site is great.

We went to Xunantunich last year and had a great day. It is a long day however, as the bus ride took 1 1/2 hours each way. Once there you take a short ferry ride across the river ( just a few miniutes) and a van took us to the site. We got to climb El Castillo and the views were spectacular. The climb back down was more difficult than the climb going up and might be too difficult for a 9 year old. There is no railing to hold on to. If it's raining, I heard they will not let you climb as the steps can get very slippery.

Archived