Kona Snorkel...Spleen, SweetEmi, and Suebee

traveling4two

My wife and I would like to snorkel of Kona coast.

I'm trying to narrow down to 2 choices, either Pawai Bay with Body Glove (Larger boat)or Kealakekua Bay with Sea Quest (Smaller boat)6 person Max.

Body Glove leaves right from the same dock at our ship tenders, I would be able to take a 4 hour AM or 3 hour PM tour . Sea Quest is a 10 minute taxi ride down the coast and I would have to take a 3 hour PM tour only due to them leaving at 8am.

I have heard morning are better due to afternoons can sometimes be overcast.

Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't worry about the overcast skies. In my opinion the difference would be negligible. What time does your ship get in to port? Because you have to tender in and from what I understand if your ship is scheduled to get to port at 7 a.m., you might have a hard time getting anywhere by cab by 8 a.m. I would definately give that some thought.

I have snorkeled Kealekekua and loved it. I have not gone to Pawai Bay though so I cannot compare.

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

Kealakekua Bay is known for better snorkeling. But if your schedule only works with Body Glove, I'm sure it'll be OK as well. icon_smile.gif

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

I just read what you wrote again Jeffrey and you were not saying you were going to try to make the morning snorkle cruise to Kealakekua. Duh!

So...now that that is in my head properly, I think I would go for Kealakekua also if you can. If a morning cruise works out better though for your schedule, I would say go for it. I've heard good things about Body Glove and I know the photographer/videographer. icon_biggrin.gif Our snorkeling around here is "the best" and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time regardless of which you choose.

Aloha,

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

I just wante dto point out there is a great coupon for the SeaQuest cruise to Kealakekue in the Entertainment book. We weren't able to use it because we didn't know ahead of our cruise we were going to Kona (the Star's wonderful new itinerary is great - I'm sure not complaining). I called Sea Quest from the dock and they were totally nice but fully booked. They said they would have happliy taken the coupon if they had space.

Legend of the Seas 8/02

NCL Star to Hawaii 04/04

Thanks Mom! That's good to know. Maybe if I find some time between now and November I'll use it myself.

Aloha,

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

We just got off The Star yesterday and home today. (Review to follow.)

Re snorkelling at KOna: we booked the Fairwind ourselves (through Rose at Barefoot tours).

We got off on the first tender at 7:15, and it was just us and two folks from the crew. We then caught a taxi to meet the Fairwind. We were there well before 8am.

The folks who snorkelled from the smaller boats, including the ncl excursions,were really complaining about being seasick! Some on the 60 foot Fairwind were too. Don't eat a big breakfast, and if they pass out food (muffins and fruit on the Fairwind) skip it!

• 2 months later...

Spleen, et al - I will be on a December cruise. Is this a poor time to book alot of snorkeling excursions? I am interested in snorkeling - but not every island. Any suggestions which would be best in the winter. I am not a very experienced snorkeler. Thanks.

I'd go with snorkeling in Kona (Kealakekua Bay) and Maui (your choice). You could certainly book at this time if your cruise is in December. Both Kona and the common Maui snorkeling spots should be OK in December.

Spleen

December will be relatively rough. The north shores of the islands tend to get hit with large waves during the winter months so expect a bumpy ride at the Na Pali coastline. Weather will be your typical scattered sunshine/showers mix that Hawaii's winters tend to have.

Spleen

Thanks Spleen - That is what I'd gathered. Is it pretty rough most days? Guess I'll have to change my plans as I tend to get motion sick ... I'd heard such good things about it, too. But then, they were there in the summer!

Archived