Snorkeling off the beach at Bannister/Caulker Cayes...

MamaParrotHead

Can someone tell me how the snorkeling is off the beach of either Bannister Caye or Caye Caulker? Debating on doing a snorkeling tour (which I would LOVE to do, but we'll have the kids with us, ages 6 and 10, and I don't know how into the snorkeling they're going to be) with an excursion to one of the Cayes, or just heading straight for the Caye and snorkeling off the beach.

Any thoughts?

. . . it is all jetties and desperate little patches of sand; then you might have to hunt for a while for water that was not full of detritus and god knows what else (the septic systems on Caye Caulker are what are known as "sensitive.")

So even native Caye Caulkerians hire a licensed guide--if they are not one themselves--with a boat and head for the reef, which is in the near distance, a very short boatride away. You can easily see it with the naked eye on a clear day. One healthy fellow rented a kayak, rowed out to the reef and snorkeled on his own one day, but when he got back he was told that it was illegal to go to the reef without a licensed guide, as the entire reef is now a protected zone. He was not arrested--in fact, of course, he had not even been noticed--but as a law-abiding person, he regretted his ignorance of the law.

The quite legal three-stop, about two-hour guided tour of the reef, "The Cut" and "Shark/Ray Alley" that we took through Tsunami Adventures was $65 US per person, I think. All of the tour operators share tour guides and boats, often combining with each other to make up a boatload of snorkelers. Naturally you are advised to book ahead--not enough people, no tour! Too many people--you might get left behind on a pretty boring (IMHO) island! :eek:

My experience was that there is no snorkeling off of Bannister Island. The swimmers were confined to an area where there was nothing to see. I did think some of the outlying areas might have potential if you choose to ignore the "rules".

If you are speaking of a combination Bannister Island/Snorkel tour, the snorkel part is not at Bannister Island.

They do have a website:

http://www.bannisterisland.com/

and they were also for sale last I read:

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/bannister-island.htm

We went to Bannister Island 3 weeks ago. We used Coral Breeze. They are great. You first go to the Island to drop off the people who don't want to snorkel. Then you take a 5 minute ride to the reef. Lots of fish but there can be some strong currants. Mr. Big will go in the water with you and the kids can stay by him. You do wear life jackets. Then you go back to the beach for awhile. Nice Beach! Clean bathrooms and food. There are lots of shells and hermit crabs on the island. We also saw alot of crabs and starfish in the water. I can't wait to go back again. You also get to see manatees on the way back to port.

Just to cite the site you have cited (eschewing the real estate site):

"There's a rich array of exciting activities available at Bannister Island. Nature lovers will want to take advantage of the snorkeling and kayaking activities available. [Note also the photograph of the scuba diver admiring the blue and yellow fish.] Others may just prefer to pedal quietly around the island in a pedal boat. The venue has been designed to accommodate all types of guests, from families with children, to single or disabled people. Guests are able to enjoy the tropical atmosphere whilst relaxing under a coconut tree soaking up the background music or if they wish they can get more involved and join in with the party (live music available on most days)."

It is true that I have added the emphasis and the note, but the words seem clear to me. If one must ride over to the reef, so be it: better protection for the reef! :D Legally one would have to have a guide in any case . . . .

1. Is is really a resort right now (e.g., with any facilities for staying overnight), or just a beach with a bar?

2. "Local" food that they serve would be what?

3. They seem anxious to take reservations, but not so anxious to let you know what they are charging for their services. Could you give us a hint?

. . . CORAL GABLES GUY was so grateful to Mr. Sun Beach Resort for selling him a meal for $10 US that anyone else in Belize would have been happy to sell him for $4 US, that I was afraid he might have been some sort of CORAL GABLES ADVERTISING GUY selling Red Herring to the Fish. But then I suppose he would be selling deeds to Tahiti Beach at home . . . .

Goff's Caye, Turneffe Islands, and Bannister Caye have been around for a while; Caye Caulker is only useful if your ship is heading NORTH from Belize. And only Ambergris Caye has real food, as I understand the term, before about 6:30 PM. It is hard to get what YOU are looking for--and SO easy to get SUNBURNED!

Archived