Diamond Head tour or on own

babybottombump

We are staying in Waikiki prior to our POAm cruise and want to hike up Diamond Head. My question is should we do a tour (if so, which one?) or just take a taxi there and back (how much would this cost appx?) We need to do it prior to 4 pm since we are going to a luau that evening. Thanks for your help!!

Not sure what a tour consists of but Diamond Head is easy to do on your own. Be aware that it is a hot hike with no shade and bathrooms are at the trail head and not at the top. Take water. Be aware of opening/closing times. Pull up these websites for more info.

hawaiistateparks.org

thebus.org

charliestaxi.com

In December, we took TheBus to the outside of the crater and then walked in. That added about 1/2 to 3/4 of mile each way. We also have driven there on previous trips. A taxi from Waikiki should be around $8 -12 each way, (high estimate. Ask before you go). There are usually a couple taxis waiting there when you return from the top. I would recommend going on your own using your choice of transportation to/from the crater. Go early, (be aware that it is only open 6 AM to 6 PM), take water. Here is the link to the Hawai'i DNLR brochure. Enjoy. Aloha. http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/parks/oahu/Index.cfm?park_id=15

Also, the Waikiki Trolley has a stop at Diamond Head. The 2007 brochure says: Diamond Head Shuttle (Blue Line) $5 boarding fee. Stop outside crater and inside crater. Not sure of the 2008 price. The Blue line is called the Ocean Coast line. We took that line all the way to Sea Life Park and back. Driver discusses what you see along the way. Or you may purchase all day passes, multi day passes, etc. They have different lines available. Go to their web site for full information.

Does anyone know approx. how long it takes to hike to the top? I know it probably depends on the people in front of you, etc. but any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Great reading, we did the hike to the top in under 25 minutes without alot of people traffic.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/diamondhead.html

[

B]Timing

[/b]While the park service suggests you allow 1.5-to-2 hours for a leisurely hike; the hike itself, round trip, takes less than 55 minutes for an out-of-shape 47-year-old male. (I speak from experience). This includes 8 minutes at the top for pictures, and 1 minute stops at 10 other locations for pictures.

If you are fit, you can easily do the hike in under 30 minutes. If you are in worse shape than me, allow an hour. If you are in terrible shape, wear open-toed shoes, are carting a backpack full of junk, and the park is busy, allow 1.5-to-2 hours

Diamond Head is a pretty easy Hike. You should have some great views this time of year. If you're used to Hiking I think you should be to the top 40 Minutes or less. (this time is going at a realy easy pace)

Enjoy Oahu

Aloha!

• 2 weeks later...

Although I don't recommend it, I did it in the pitch dark of night in under 30 minutes today. I got there at 6am and forgot to bring a flashlight. I've done the trail over 3 dozen times, so I knew the route and knew the footing isn't very good most of the way. A platoon of Army recruits got up there in 15 minutes today.

If you do bring a flashlight, it's cool. The sky was clear and I could see more stars than this city boy has seen in a long time.

When I got up to the top at 6:30, there were already 100 folks from the Land of the Rising Sun with their cameras awaiting sunrise. By the time the sun rose around 7:05 there were over 200 folks at the summit.

Full route map and complete details of the hike with pictures: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/diamondhead.html

First time in Hawaii last Oct., and we easily hiked to the top. In fact, on our way down, we met a lady (mind you, she was unprepared), but she made it to the staircase in high heels! Not recommended to say the least. Note: when you get to the top, try running the stairs! The view is worth the 30-45 min average difficult hike. But like the above notes, there is not a lot of shade, so bring water.

Enjoy!

Archived