help!! Dress jeans ok???

dlaf10

I think it's funny when people say that they wouldn't wear jeans to an expensive restaurant at home......I live in S. Florida and go to VERY expensive restaurants on South Beach and wear jeans all the time. It's all about the cut of the jeans and the top/shoes/accessories you put with them that make the outfit.

It's only my opinion, but I think jeans done right is dressier than all the capris I see in the dining room!

Florida has it's own set of rules:rolleyes: Jeans are jeans, the only cruise I ever brought them on was an Alaskan crusie and never wore then to dinner, only excursions. Personally I do not care what anyone wears, but they are way to hot and weight to much for me to pack.

I'm lovin' this...I had no idea people could be so defensive about jeans (dungarees, levis, workpants) and my eyes have been opened! A couple of things - I really don't care what other people do but I do wish they'd play the game just a little on a cruise, particularly on formal nights. There are options and if you don't want to "dress up" for dinner then just have dinner in the Windjammer (which is always quite nice and has great star-studded views). I admit I was rather disappointed when, on FOS and having paid a tidy chunk of change for my cabin (single) I had to go to dinner in my tuxedo and sit next to some underdressed (didn't say not nice) person in shorts and a t-shirt. Sorry, but it is FORMAL night and that means FORMAL attire. I did complain to the waiter, the restaurant manger, the purser and wrote a letter to the line...bottom line, RCL doesn't enforce the dress code. As much as I love(d) sailing on RCL I see - from the posts here - that I'm the odd man out and might as well sail another line that may be more to my liking. It's too bad though...I work for a major international European airline and am constantly amazed at how sloppy the passengers are these days...I know...grunge is in, style is out...but it is really quite sad.

Earlier this month, while on the "VOYAGER of the SEAS"

out of Galveston TX, on a western Caribbean cruise, on

the 2nd formal night, a group of 4 people stood by the entryway

of the main dining room. A matre 'd refused entry to this group of

four because they were wearing their blue jeans and, plaid

shirts. I heard one of them say as we walked past them in

our formal clothing..."....but, we're on vacation.."

(Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As if no one else on that ship wasn't on vacation too.) :rolleyes:

Florida has it's own set of rules:rolleyes: Jeans are jeans, the only cruise I ever brought them on was an Alaskan crusie and never wore then to dinner, only excursions. Personally I do not care what anyone wears, but they are way to hot and weight to much for me to pack.

I think out of all of us, you have just made the only logical point. I don't pack jeans on a caribbean cruise cause they are just too hot. Alaska, maybe. But no way could I wear them in the Caribbean. Otherwise, wear what you want. If someone is comfortable in jeans, wear them. And remember, those that matter don't care, and those that care don't matter.

It's too bad though...I work for a major international European airline and am constantly amazed at how sloppy the passengers are these days...I know...grunge is in, style is out...but it is really quite sad.

I don't know anything about European airlines, but air travel in the US has become something best endured in sweatsuits and earplugs.

I can remember parking at the airport and being onboard ten minutes later. Flights were generally on time, seats were roomy, and meals were served. It was quite a pleasant experience.

Now we are advised to be at the airport two hours before flight time. We spend upwards of an hour standing in line at security checkpoints in various states of undress, and walk long distances to gates. There are fewer and fewer non-stop flights, so the long walk is often repeated at one or more hubs. Flight delays are frequently measured in hours, rather than minutes, and we've all read about, if not been forced to endure, sitting on planes on runways for hours with no access to food or bathrooms. Service on the ground and in the air is, understandably, not what it once was. Planes are crowded and noisy and there is usually no meal service. I can't believe anyone would want to dress up for this!

Somebody said they wanted a picture of what people mean by dress jeans. Well here one is:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2926807/0~2376780~6009391~6009905~6009908?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6009908&P=2

I personally have almost these exact jeans and will problably wear them on a non-formal night on my upcoming cruise. I believe a pair of dark, well tailored and well fitted jeans matched with heals and a dressy blouse is much more formal than some ill fitted polyester or cotton twill capris that you see many people in. I might even dare to wear a pair of white jeans as well! It is what I wear most of the time when I go out to many upscale restaurants in Manhattan. You need to know how to put an outfit together to look dressy and most of all we are not talking about the kind of worn, sloppy jeans you wear to do your gardening.

Just to change the subject...on MY airline the check-in procedure is usually painless and quite efficient, we have free newspapers in the Coach lounge, they serve champagne prior to take-off (in Coach) and wine is served with dinner - which is very, very good! The airline still has cabin service, the cabin crew are immaculately dressed, beautifully groomed and very professional. Yes, the seating in Coach can be tight - alas I, too ,miss the old 707's which were comfy even in tourist class - but we do honestly CARE out our passengers, really! I always compliment well dressed passengers and just smile at the others...it's a sign of the times unfortunately...and I know I'm beating a dead horse when it comes to "dress codes". I guess I just miss the "good ol' days" so much...can you guess which carrier I work for???

Somebody said they wanted a picture of what people mean by dress jeans. Well here one is:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2926807/0~2376780~6009391~6009905~6009908?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6009908&P=2

I personally have almost these exact jeans and will problably wear them on a non-formal night on my upcoming cruise. I believe a pair of dark, well tailored and well fitted jeans matched with heals and a dressy blouse is much more formal than some ill fitted polyester or cotton twill capris that you see many people in. I might even dare to wear a pair of white jeans as well! It is what I wear most of the time when I go out to many upscale restaurants in Manhattan. You need to know how to put an outfit together to look dressy and most of all we are not talking about the kind of worn, sloppy jeans you wear to do your gardening.

They look EXACTLY like the jeans I wear for gardening and fishing on cool days:D

So, we're getting ready to go on our first cruise. I'm glad someone compared the dining room to going to a fancy restaurant. I would never wear jeans, however, I have seen others with them on. So, now I know I wouldn't wear jeans in the dining room on board either. Thanks.

Are jeans okay on board away from the formal dining room? Do a lot of people wear them?? This is a cruise to Alaska.

So, we're getting ready to go on our first cruise. I'm glad someone compared the dining room to going to a fancy restaurant. I would never wear jeans, however, I have seen others with them on. So, now I know I wouldn't wear jeans in the dining room on board either. Thanks.

Are jeans okay on board away from the formal dining room? Do a lot of people wear them?? This is a cruise to Alaska.

You will see a lot of people in jeans. You will fit right in. There will be many in jeans in the dining room, too, especially on the first night.

Well, as long as your jeans are from Nordstroms...........

Seriously, I do take jeans long with me to wear up on the deck at night or on the flight home.

I was recently on the Liberty and what a beautiful ship she is and the dining room is so elegant. My hubby and I always dress business casual on casual nights and formal on formal nights. (Though on the second formal night I always opt for a short cocktail dress)

RCL doesn't enforce the dress code which is a shame. On the second formal night my hubby and I were the only ones dressed appropriately at our table, the other 2 couples had on jeans.

We felt so uncomfortable when we followed the dress code! I just don't understand why people don't put in much effort to dressing for dinner in the dining room since no one has to eat in the dining room.

We are going on Adventure of the Seas oin Feb and was wondering if dress jeans and heals are ok to wear to the dining room on NON-formal nights? I don;t mean sloppy levis but nice jeans and a dressy top????

"Dress jeans" is a bit of an oxymoron in truth. I would say probably not but that is my opinion only and not meant to be judgmental. I wear jeans every day of life but wouldn't in the DR on a cruise ship.

Last month on the Radiance (in the caribbean, I might add!), people wore a wide variety of things to dinner from yoga pants and jeans :eek: , to fancy dresses.

I would say on RCI, you'd be fine in nice dress jeans (i.e. dark, trouser jeans) paired up with a dressy top and some nice shoes. Often-times a nice well-fitting pair of jeans look nicer than dress-pants do!

I actually told myself that on my next cruise, I will bring a nice pair of jeans- it was very cool inside the ship, and we had a few cool days where they would have been good outside too, and in port (particularly in Key West!)

Anyway wear whatever you look and feel good in, including jeans on a casual night if you wish! :D

Ok, I understand Formal and Smart Casual (I think that's the term) but I was looking at some 2007 Compass's from a Radiance Alaskan cruise (we're going on the Serendar in Sept 2008) and it says Casual - just plain ol' casual. If I see Casual - I'm going to assume that jeans are OK. Smart Casual or Formal - no I wouldn't wear jeans but casual indicates to me that anything but shorts, bathing suits and no shirt/shoes is a good to go? Now, this is for an Alaska Cruise so it may be completely different.

Renee

IMO, in today's world, jeans and khaki's are equal but everyone seems to think khaki's are ok for everything. Personally I would rather see someone in "nice" jeans than drab khaki's. Believe me, in all my cruises I have always seen people in the DR on formal night in jeans so you won't be alone. Go, have a good time and be comfortable.

Ok, I understand Formal and Smart Casual (I think that's the term) but I was looking at some 2007 Compass's from a Radiance Alaskan cruise (we're going on the Serendar in Sept 2008) and it says Casual - just plain ol' casual. If I see Casual - I'm going to assume that jeans are OK. Smart Casual or Formal - no I wouldn't wear jeans but casual indicates to me that anything but shorts, bathing suits and no shirt/shoes is a good to go? Now, this is for an Alaska Cruise so it may be completely different.

Renee

The Cruise Compass explain the "suggested" attire for casual. Jeans will not be listed as the "suggested" attire. Although jeans are not prohibited, according to the Cruise Compass they are not among the recommended attire for casual. That said, you will see a significant number of people wearing jeans on casual nights in Alaska and certainly will not be turned away. If you are OK with not wearing the "suggested" attire, then go for it. You will fit in more assuming you wear a nice top/shoes/accessories to go along with the jeans.

I live in a town of 4,000. We have 3 signal lights, all on the same stretch of road and the biggest thing that happen to our town was when we got a McDonalds:eek: ! Except when I am at work I live in blue jeans, I even, on occassion, have worn them to church (I'm a catholic) but in my MHO - blue jeans are not meant in a cruise ship's dining room at night.Dressy or not - jeans are jeans.

You can buy one pair of nice women's dress pants in either black or blue and with 3 or 4 different tops, and accessories, make yourself several different outfits that would look great on you.

:o The opinion stated here are those of the poster's only and only the poster. It was not meant to offend anyone. :p :p :p :p

You can buy one pair of nice women's dress pants in either black or blue and with 3 or 4 different tops, and accessories, make yourself several different outfits that would look great on you.

:o The opinion stated here are those of the poster's only and only the poster. It was not meant to offend anyone. :p :p :p :p

I agree 1 or 2 pairs of dress slacks look so much nicer than jeans. Those are my basics:) Also in the Caribbean a white pair of slacks with bright colored blouses look festive & fresh.

Black slacks are a staple. I have several pair in different fabrics and that's about all I wear to church or even fancy restaurants. The difference in formality is the fabric of the pant, the top and the shoes. I plan on taking two or three pair with me on the cruise with several different tops from casual to dressy plus one formal dress/jacket. I hope to wear jeans during the daytime (Alaska) but not to dinner at night in the dining room.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Archived