Eastern/Central Time

karchrmom

Ft. Lauderdale and Grand Cayman are both on Eastern Standard Time.

Not meaning to highjack this thread, but I had the same question regarding the Voyager, which leaves from Galveston, which is Central Standard Time. My excursion with Nativeways leaves at 9:15 EST. Is this 8:15 ship time, or will the ship change to EST?

My email said to meet at 9:15 Eastern Time. I wonder why the discrepency in noting times and time zones to various people...

If we Dock at 7:00, I'll have to be on the first tender to make the excursion. I guess I'll give it a try. If we dock late, I don't know what I'll do.

"What time is it?" seems like a basic question, but during a cruise it can become confusing.

Your ship will determine how they keep the clock onboard. Most frequently ship time is kept as the time at the point of departure. If your ship departs from Miami, then it is likely to stay on Eastern Time and shift its clocks with Daylilght Savings Time accordingly.

Cayman stays on Eastern Standard Time all year round. We do not observe Daylight Savings Time. In the summer months this means that Miami time is one hour ahead of Cayman time (9am Miami = 8am Cayman). In the winter months Miami time and Cayman time are the same.

In most of the US the clocks spring ahead the second Sunday of March. For karchrmom this means that your cruise is happening when island time is one hour ahead of Miami time.

If your ship arrives at 7:30am Miami time then that is 6:30am Cayman time. That leaves plenty of time to meet your excursion at 8:15am-8:30am central (ie Cayman) time. If your ship arrival is 7:30am Cayman time (which I think is more likely) then that is still enough time to meet your excursion.

For FEMH, it depends when in the year you are traveling.

Hi drew sailbum,

Thanks for offering to help! I am departing Galveston on the Voyager of the Seas this Sunday, February 3!

My excursion with Nativeways is scheduled for 9:15 Eastern Standard Time.

Hi drew sailbum,

Thanks for offering to help! I am departing Galveston on the Voyager of the Seas this Sunday, February 3!

My excursion with Nativeways is scheduled for 9:15 Eastern Standard Time.

Then you are traveling when Cayman time is one hour ahead of Galveston time. Assuming your ship keeps its clock on Galveston time and docks at 7:00am ship time that will be 8:00am Cayman time. That is plenty of time to meet your tour at 9:15am Cayman time. If your ship is docking at 7:00 Cayman time, then that is even more time to meet your tour at 9:15am. You have no worries.

I really wouldn;t worry too much. The tour companies are very accustomed to dealing with this time issue of the various ships. If they say you can make it, then I expect you can.

I will caution you to grab the earliest tender available. Read different post below titled "just back from reef, rays, rum pt."

We docked at 7 central time (out of Galveston on Voyager in January-this month) and were not able to get off until 8 am (central time) at the earliest--this was the first tender boat! This was 9 am Cayman time. I got on the second round of boats...by cutting in line and barely made my tour. Voyager staff didn't care because my tour was not ship sponsored (that is why I cut in line).

FYI

Archived