Driving in the Dominican Republic

mrc1961

Has anyone rented a car and driven in the DR? We have two days pre-cruise in Santa Domingo and have a car reserved through National. I'm interested in going to Boca Chica ... maybe farther West to La Romana. Has anyone driven this route? How are the roads, signs, and parking?

Thanks,

Jennifer

I appreciate the info. Do either of you know parking situations in Santa Domingo and Boca Chica? Is parking easy to find in those areas? Is it usually paid or free?

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Unfortunately, no I do not remember the parking situation in Boca Chica. Around Santo Domingo many places offer parking for their guests. Around the Colonial Zone, streets are very small and spaces very tight. But I do not think you will have many issues with parking for the post part. Again, I have not been in Santo Domingo in a few years.

I live in Santo Domingo and travel that route every sunday, it is a very good road.

Since you live there I thought I'd ask. We will be visiting sponsored children in Santo Domingo for a few days post cruise. Any ideas? We are so excited to meet them. One of them my DD has been sponsoring for 13 yrs. and now he is of age and doesn't need it anymore.

we just came back 1/27, and the parking we thought was free wasn't. we wanted to go to the beach, so we pulled in and was met by a guy who said he had a nice place to eat and drink on the beach. he found us a parking spot right on the road (not a parking lot just on the street) brought us down to the beach sat us at a table and offered us a drink. (seems harmless) now the flip side !!! the table cost us 11-13 dollars the drinks were almost double the menu price and he put a drink for himself on our bill for (550 dom euro) 16.66 us, we were there for about 1 1/2 hours, bill 75us for 2 beers, 2 diet cokes and (1) order of fish and fries.... don't forget the 26% tax. needless to say we weren't happy. we got it down to 40us (still double what it should be) and got out of there, got to our car (which was blocked in) and had to pay the people on the street 5 dollars to move there vehicle so we could leave.. said they were watching it for us and there is a fee.... we paid and got the heck out of there. Hey on the lighter side in Santo Domingo we parked 1 1/2 blocks from center of the colonial zone for free no problems...

Archived