Review of Scuba in 2 ports

cruisingtodive

First stop Grand Cayman - we had been here 2 other times and had went with Carnival's operator Don Foster both of those times. No problems with Don Foster, but we were hoping to get a smaller group. We used Neptune Divers. They have been mentioned on these boards before. They were prompt in their emails with my requests. They didn't meet us at the pier, we took a taxi to Sea Grape Beach along 7 mile beach, and met her boat on the beach. Straight into the boat and out to the dive site. There were 5 of us and 3 other divers on board. I didn't find Neptune Divers operator that we used very friendly or open. She was direct and to the point. It just wasn't a friendly atmosphere. Her boat. The dives were great, her equipment was top notch, they were professional. No complaints about any of those things. We made our dives and were promptly dropped back off at the beach. It seemed as if she wanted us to quickly get on, dive, get off. I didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling for the operation. I would have liked a more relaxed atmosphere, it even seemed that she discouraged any talking at all. My family's perception. I'm on vacation, I want to relax, laugh, talk to the operators about the conditions, good times and areas to dive. There was none of that on this boat. Could have been an off day. We won't use them again.

Oops I meant 3 ports

Cozumel- We actually went to the mainland, which was an expedition in itself. A taxi to the other pier where the main ferries are to Playa Del Carmen, the ferry, then a walk to the dive shop in Playa Del Carmen. We used Abyss Dive and they were friendly, organized, equipment in good shape. We got our gear together and drove to a cenote for diving. We had a beautiful dive in Tajma Ha, it was wonderful. Only time for one long dive though, as had to do the whole trip in reverse to get back to the cruise ship. This operator was conversational, open to our suggestions, and made the whole dive pleasant. We will use them again.

Belize - Used Sea Sports Belize. A short walk from the pier to their shop. Also friendly, organized, equipment in good shape. Boat ride to the reef for diving. This was the worst small boat ride of my life. I'm not used to the rough ride in a small boat. Most beautiful reef dive to date. Much living coral, sea life in abundance, beautiful atmosphere. Difficult to set up on a rocking boat. Once again a friendly conversational bunch. I would use this operator, but that boat ride would have me thinking twice about diving there again.

So, would you recommend using the Carnival dive excursion instead of using a private operation? This will be our first cruise, in March on the Conquest, and I would like to book through Carnival to insure a good dive trip for hubby and son.

They haven't made a dive in two years but have cert. cards. Are there any other requirements?

In Grand Cayman and Cozumel the dive operators are numerous. It's all what you feel comfortable with or are willing to try. With the Carvinal operators there are usually a lot of people on the dives. We didn't have a bad experience with that issue. Usually it is a little more expensive to go the the ship operators. It isn't difficult at either of these stops to find a dive operator, either from these boards or google.

I was just giving my experience, I would recommend the operator in Playa Del Carmen and Belize. I wouldn't recommend the one I used in GC, but others on these boards have recommended the operator.

Most dive operators on these stops have all the equipment to rent. You do need your c card.

They haven't made a dive in two years but have cert. cards. Are there any other requirements?

To make sure they really enjoy their trip and to improve their safety you should recommend that they talk to your local dive shop and get in a quick refresher in a pool or local dive site (depends on where you live) just so they can get used to the equipment requirements again and practice some exercises like mask clearing, dropping their weight belt and buddy breathing. Two years is a long time and you'd be surprised how easy it is to forget some of these. Plus, they want to make everyone else's dive pleasant (comes from someone who's saved too many "certified" divers on a trip :) ).

Randall

I happen to be a HUGE Don Foster's fan.

I've never been on the "cruise boat", however, I just spent 9 days on Grand Cayman and used them as my two tank dive op. The divemasters were friendly, they took suggestions for the days dives and I would happily use them again....

However, I would contact them on my own, instead of booking them through the ship. That way you end up on the "island boat" and get deeper dives and probably less crowded also. I had a few days on the boats that we were joined by a "cruise shipper" who'd booked on their own and were very happy with their day. ;)

Archived