Open Balcony Divider???

Cheriesellshomes

I am sailing on the Valor in 2 weeks and have been reading all that I can find to try and pass the time. I read on another board that the balcony divider can be opened to merge the balconies of side by side rooms. I have never heard of this and wanted to see what you guys know. I will be on the upper deck. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Yes, when you get on board go to the Pursers desk and request the door to be opened ... one person from each cabin will have to give permission. They will come and open the door pretty quickly. Here is a pic of our 5 rooms that had the doors opened on the Miracle.

2976439780100494505S425x425Q85.jpg

Hmm looks like people 2 floors above us are messing with the doors ... lol .. our rooms were the ones on the first balcony floor.

A couple years ago on the conquest we opened the door between 2 cabins and the doors connected to the wall and not the balcony thing so guess it depends on what ship you are on.

I am sailing on the Valor in 2 weeks and have been reading all that I can find to try and pass the time. I read on another board that the balcony divider can be opened to merge the balconies of side by side rooms. I have never heard of this and wanted to see what you guys know. I will be on the upper deck. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks :)

picture shown above is from a Spirit class ship. And on the spirit class the dividers open to the rail. The Valor has different set of obstacles, the dividers are secured to the bulkhead. In some cases the divider cannot be opened, because when it is secured to the bulkhead, it blocks access from one of the cabins.

We had this on the Triumph and they physically removed the divider because we had the kids in the other cabin.....I doubt they do this on a regular basis.

Here you can see the divider is gone from between the two cabins balcony doors.

2139102980089406063S600x600Q85.jpg

I made up a diagram that showed what cabins have this issue...... *****Conquest%20Deck%20plans.htm

It's worth it if you can get it done.

We were on the Pride, three couples side by side and we had them open our balcony dividers.......it was great, yes there were two that were blocked (view) a little but it was so worth it having that extra long balcony...we spent a lot of time out there..and so did our other cruise mates that were on the ship but not next to us. Well worth having it done!

We are hoping to do the same thing on the Triumph in December...this time there will be 7 cabins together...

We just got back from the Conquest. They will open the connecting balcony doors only while you are in port. Open in the morning & close during dinner.

We've always had them open the entire time :confused: Very odd that you had a different experience...

Every cruise I have been on once they are open they stay open. I don't mind that it blocks some of the balcony once its open its nice to be able to walk next door on the balcony and check on the kids, or my parents. My next cruise on the Carnival Freedom we have the kids cabin in between my parents and my cabin. I hope to get all three open. That will be a first for me to have 3 in a row open.

Just got off the Miralce and also have rebooked her for Nov. While on I went and checked about opening them up in Nov. Luckily, we have booked cabins that are able to have the balcony opened. They said that some do not open.

They have changed the policy on the Conquest. We have traveled several times in the same cabins, and have never had a problem until last month. They said that the doors could be opened once we reached Montego Bay and that they would stay open until we left the last port (Cozumel). Our room steward did open our balcony a little early - on Monday evening. But he closed it on Saturday morning. It was kind of a bummer - we like to walk back and forth between the cabins, and enjoy breakfast on the extended balcony. I've attached a picture of the balcony - you can see how the divider folds back against the wall on the left.

Also this year, they came through and took off all our decorations on the outside balcony. The captain saw them and instructed the safety captain to have them removed. Said they were a fire hazard. So no more decorations on the balconies. You can decorate the inside of the windows. They have also changed the chairs on the balcony - they are really nice metal and canvas chairs.

I'd love to know what kind of allen wrench they use to open the door - that way we could open it as needed.....

mands.jpg.b4452a1aa1cbd6422d43e7177137c3f0.jpg

I'd love to know what kind of allen wrench they use to open the door - that way we could open it as needed.....

On Spirit class ships all you need is a needle nose pliers. The head of the bolt is triangular in shape. You just grab it with the needlenose and give it a half turn to unlock/lock it. The problem is that once it's open you have no means of securing it. That's why I wait and let them open it for me since they also bring the bracket to secure the divider to the railing.

The dividers lift off their hinges once they're opened. We took our divider off initially thinking we could store it under the bed. It was too big. ;)

Destiny, 2006--When we asked our cabin steward about opening the balcony door, he first said we would need to go to the purser's desk, but, then, said,"No--Just wait a minute". He left for just a few minutes and came back with a clipboard and had us (and our friends in the next room) sign the release. He opened the door and it stayed open throughout our cruise. It was never secured to anything and we could open and close it at our leisure after that. It was a tight fit in the closed position and a good shove opened it.

When one or both of us was sleeping we closed it. When we were all up and moving, we opened it.

Also this year, they came through and took off all our decorations on the outside balcony. The captain saw them and instructed the safety captain to have them removed. Said they were a fire hazard. So no more decorations on the balconies. You can decorate the inside of the windows. They have also changed the chairs on the balcony - they are really nice metal and canvas chairs.

After the Princess fire, most cruise lines put rules in place about items on the balcony... clothing, towels, decorations, etc, the cabin stewards are instructed to remove anything of the sort.

We just got back from the Conquest. They will open the connecting balcony doors only while you are in port. Open in the morning & close during dinner.

I was on the Conquest the first part of January and ours wasw the same way, Open in port and locked at turn down. At least we had a long balcony for sail aways.

Archived