Does everyone gain weight on a cruise?

calenita

On our last 2 cruises my hubby and I actually lost 5 lbs each! This came with eating bacon, french toast, and hasbrowns just about every morning for breakfast, a no skimp lunch, big dinner & dessert and midnight buffet to follow, plus the delicious ice cream once maybe twice a day FOR A WEEK!!

The thing is, we were so active on our excursions (snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, walking, swimming) the extra calories didn't get a chance to hang on. Stay active and you'll be able to enjoy all the little food pleasures w/o packing on extra lbs.

I've been on two cruises and gained five pounds on the first cruise but then lost it in my normal routine when I got back. My second cruise I only gained a few pounds (didn't eat as much because the buffet wasn't as copious the first time, lol).

BUT-- We did make consious efforts to rarely use the elevator. Other than that, we ate quite a bit or atleast a little bit of everything and we probably had six cocktails throughout the whole day.. some days more (lol) some less.

And, like the above person mentioned, we also had fairly active excursions on our three ports.

I'm about to go on a land based trip in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping to make myself do SOME exercise... NOT because I don't want to gain weight, though. I want to exercise on the trip so I have enough energy to really enjoy my day. Exercising makes me feel sooooo much better.

:) I just returned Sunday from Adventure of the Seas. I had weigh-in yesterday and was thrilled to have lost .2 pounds. I ate dessert every night and many other things that I wouldn't normally eat. I really enjoyed my food! I think the key was that I took the steps everywhere and did lots of extra walking. I have gotten right back on my Weight Watchers Core program since I returned. FYI I had lost 30 pounds since January.

• 1 month later...

On our last cruise, if I recall correctly, I gained 6 pounds and DH gained 8 pounds...we ate aLoT! Next cruise we are booked AFT so I'm hoping the extra walking will help tone that down a bit....also going to use the stairs more.....After we were home for a couple months and still had the cruise weight we did the Sacred Heart diet (veggie soup) for 1 week....I lost 5 pounds and DH lost his 8 pounds!...

I lose on a cruise too...especially the Europe cruises. We walk and walk and WALK, sometimes 4-5 miles a day. Like Wags67, we take the stairs too rather than the elevator (most of the time). This coming cruise we're on deck 9 rather than 6, so it's going to be more stairs. Oi Vey!

We are on low carb (SouthBeach) diets /WOL for the most part and on the cruise throw a little more caution to the wind with carbohydrates and some sugar.

There is that old saying that you gain "a pound a day", but I've never experienced that-ever.

Archived