RCI transfers or taxis better in Venice?

We are on the Splendour of the Seas in September with 2 night pre-cruise stay at Hotel Carlton and Grand Canal, booked through RCI. Our package includes transfers from airport to hotel, hotel to ship, ship to airport. Reading some posts makes me scared we'll be sitting on a bus waiting for it to fill up each time we have to transfer whereas if we booked hotel and transfers ourselves we would be on our way quickly.

Anyone got any advice about this - should we stick with our package or does anyone know how to arrange transfers in Venice and how much they would cost?:rolleyes:

We are on the Splendour of the Seas in September with 2 night pre-cruise stay at Hotel Carlton and Grand Canal, booked through RCI. Our package includes transfers from airport to hotel, hotel to ship, ship to airport. Reading some posts makes me scared we'll be sitting on a bus waiting for it to fill up each time we have to transfer whereas if we booked hotel and transfers ourselves we would be on our way quickly.

Anyone got any advice about this - should we stick with our package or does anyone know how to arrange transfers in Venice and how much they would cost?:rolleyes:

Taxi to from Airport is inexpensive BUT

1st issue, Google Earth/Map Bus terminal (where I understand all taxis from Airport stop) lookat how many bridges walk between there and Hotel i.e Heave luggage up and down across bridges or

2nd Google Earth Hotel to Port again ditto

3rd which I have not done is understand destance Port to Bus terminal (where I understand all taxis to Airport leave)

I have lugged DW and my Cruiseship luggage in Summer last year one more bridge (a biggy over the Grand Canal) to get to taxi/bus area. Grab hers climb 15 steps, walk down 15 steps grab my luggage climb 15 steps (repeat) oh look another quaint bridge.

Venice is the only port I'd do ship transfers. Even hotels close to Piazzale Roma are a nightmare to get to/from with luggage. This year we're leaving our bags at the left luggage office in Piazzale Roma and taking only an overnight bag to the hotel

Depending on how mobile you are you can get the alilaguna from the airport http://www.alilaguna.it/

We caught the train to Venice from Rome, then walked out the door of the station and boarded a vaporetto. It was a five minute walk across one bridge to our hotel from the San Marco stop. http://www.venicewelcome.com/actv/vaporetto.htm

We splurged (overly so) on a water taxi to take us to the ship where we boarded the Rotterdam. It looked like you could get a water bus right into the main liner berth but we didn't investigate this option.

Archived