Sarande, Albania suggestions?

We will be visiting Sarande in Albania in September. Has any one any suggestions on what to do there? Is there enough to see in the town itself? Does the ship dock close to town? Thanks for any help.

I Have Quite A Soft Spot In My Heart For Albania. I Was An American Missionary Living In Tirana (capital). I Learned To Speak The Language And Love The Albanian People And Culture. First Of All, Albanians Are Some Of Most Giving And Loveable People You Will Meet. They Love Americans. I Felt Really Safe There. Try To Speak Their Language And They Will Love You Forever. I Have Never Been In The Southern Part Of The Country Where Sarande Is, But I Know There Are Some Great Tourist Spots To Visit There. Butrint Would Be My Pick. I Have Heard The Ancient Classical Ruins Are Second To None. I Believe The Site Is A Heritage Site Protected By The Un. Gjirokaster Would Also Be A Great Place To Go. Its The Birthplace Of Enver Hoxha (communist Dictator) And Has Some Great Architecture. I Never Made It Down There, But The Pictures I Have Seen Show The City Built The Side Of The Mountain. When Traveling In Albania. Prices Are Always Negotiable On Everything. Everything Was Inexpensive When I Was There, But The Cruise Ship Might Have Changed Things. Drink Only Bottled Water Or Soft Drinks. You Should Try The Byrek, Baklava, And Pizza. Traveling Around The Cities Is Easy. You Can Go By Taxi, Bus, Furgon Which Is Van Converted Into A Taxi. Make Sure You Use Their Currency (lek) If Possible. Places Of Exchange Are Available At Banks. The Bank I Used Would Advertise Their Exchange Rates You Will Not Get A Good Exchange Paying With Us, Uk, Or Euro Currency. I Wouldn't Carry A Lot Of Money And Keep It Close To Your Body Like A Shirt Pocket Or Money Belt. There Are Thieves And Pickpockets. I Have Tried To Think Of Everything I Know To Tell You. I Hope It Helps You. Albania Is A Great Adventure. I Am Jealous. I Haven't Been Back In 7 Or 8 Years. Have Fun!

Archived